“A-LA-CARTE at its Best”

Ranked #20 of 4,326 Restaurants in Kolkata
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 14
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The art of Chinese cooking is shrouded in mystery. How do you acquire the perfect citrus twist? How do the eastern flavours balance themselves so naturally on your palate? The answer lies in the narrow paths of China. Mainland China is a Chinese restaurant under the Speciality Group of Restaurants, started in 1994 with the main aim of serving the best Chinese cuisine across India. Now located in 26 cities across India and overseas. If it's Chinese, it's Mainland China!
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Our anniversary was on May 07; we decided that spending 28 years together calls for a sumptuous dinner at Mainland China, Gurusaday Road – the place we went in when they started about 20 years ago.
My usual choice at Mainland China is their well spread buffet, but this time around, wife and son decided against; so I had to go along and agree to taste from the A-La-Carte menu – I must tell you that at the end of the meal, I have had no regrets for falling in line.
The assorted DimSums (chicken, prawn and crab cakes, alongwith delicious mustard and black pepper sauce) was superb – rightly steamed and served well. This was followed by the out-of-the world Fresh water Bekti in a light sauce – large portion of 12 reasonable sized Becktis, honey sauce oozing from the sides – made for a great appetizer! (In fact, I was full by this time round). Beer to accompany for the 2 of us and a chilled glass of Lime, Lychee and Gondhoraj Lime for my son – we tasted this concoction – I can surely say that such drinks far outweigh the usuals.
The main course included Roast Chicken Fried Rice, Vegetable Hakka Noodles (suggested by the person serving – his logic – too many non veg dishes ordered – for balance, we needed a Veggy food – and he was right) with a large helping of Roast Lamb in pepper sauce all presented properly and tasted even better.
What a better way to end such a lovely dinner than to have a helping of Honey Glazed Noodles and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
The pricing is above average at Rs 4,000 for the dinner, but sometimes pricing needs to be sheltered in the taste
Thanks Mainland China for such a memorable Dinner!

Reviewed 13 May 2017

Earlier this week, I had the occasion to again visit this premier Chinese Restaurant of Kolkata with my family and fully enjoyed the food. This restaurant chain which started its journey from Kolkata has now become an Internationally famous and quality of its food is of the highest grade. Ambiance of the place and service by staff are of a high standard and gives you a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Mainland China has two outlets - one on Gurusaday Road and the other in South City Mall. I have always been to the South City one as this is very close to my house.

First the decor - simply WOW !!! for a fine dining experience and the staff right from the Guy who is at the front desk - all so courteous with a warm smile. What I really like is that the restaurant is simply nice and quiet as in some fine dining restaurants in Kolkata the Customers are just so loud

Now comes the food - very well taken care off - even if you have a pure vegetarian guest with you they ensure that the tableware is different for easy identification and there is no mess. I have been here for the 4th time with my son and a vegetarian friend - so we ordered Lemon Coriander soup - one was vegetarian for my friend ; two with chicken (for me and my son as we are non-vegetarian) - Oh God it was just awesome - it was a perfect blend of spice and aroma. We then ordered Sui mai (vegetarian and chicken) - am lost for words and then for the main course it was Veg noodle; Non veg fried rice; Mushroom n Brocolli vegetable ; Steamed chicken with Mushroom and believe me each and every cuisine was OHHHHHH AWESOME. We ended with a fancy Dessert - Ice-cream with Ranbutan - its pointless describing it in words - so would suggest if you go please have this

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Just love this place. The atmosphere is excellent and so is their buffet. From soups and wantons as starters to the darsan and ice cream....wish i could have food like this everyday.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

We visited with my sister-in-law just for a treat. We found the staff polite and helpful. Starters were served at the table and we went for the buffet lunch after that. It was very good - eat as much as you like. We were very happy with it.