New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kolkata
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tamarind - reinforce ur taste 4 good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

South Indian variety, interiors, attitude of staffs & FOOOOOOOD!
We keep on visiting at least once in a month. Our relation started with this joint when they were at a different location & we went to celebrate a family occasion. Being a joint family with age group ranging from 3+ to 70+ only a good experience will call for another trip. And our association continues till date irrespective of their shifting to new location speaks for their quality as well as our satisfaction.
We also dare to take our guests or friends without any hesitation to Tamarind & off-course whenever someone is asking for some food joint names Tamarind always featured among the top ones.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Kolkata
“A delightful taste of South”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I am not a big fan of South Indian cuisine, but I had heard a lot of good things about Tamarind and decided to give it a try. I must say I was very impressed with the quality of food served at the restaurant. We ordered a Chicken Hyderabadi Biryani, a Massa (Mutton) Stew and a Prawn Pepper Fry. All these items were made with care and lived upto expectations. The Massa Stew especially can easily give "Dakshin" a run for it's money. I am certainly going to go back for more!

• Visited March 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Good food... definitely not authentic...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was at Tamarind last night with my friends, we were a group of nine thamizhians.

Ambiance was great and I fell in love with the restaurant when they served butter milk as welcome drink. The starters were very good and the soups were not great.

Hyderabadi briyani was a total disaster, it was not even 10 percent of the real HYD briyani. Being a hardcore foodie & hailing from Madurai (TN), I got excited to find 'Kothu parota' on the Menu. To my disappointment, a less spicy chilli parota was served in the name of 'Kothu Parota'.

We ordered a variety of starters, main course dishes and my rating goes this way:

soups - 2/5
starters - 4/5
main course - 3/5 (definitely not authentic though)
desserts - 2/5 (pretty expensive in taste but very normal)
ambiance - 4/5
service - 4/5

The only thing that was authentic in the restaurant was the name of the dishes on the menu card.

- Bala

• Visited February 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Simply yummy, authentic cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I went with my father and cousin and it was a delight. We had Hyderabadi biryani, a dish with spicy crab, and lamb in coconut curry. We were also given spicy butter milk, which I was apprehensive to try but turned out to be great! I will go back here again.

Visited August 2011
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
“tempting south Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

we went for a great meal at the place.. service and food were excellent. I personally loved the Kori Gassi and the Appams, not to mention their tandoori duck which was off the specials menu. Also great service and good food. Thumbs Up!