“A Marvellous trip”

Sundarban Houseboat - Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Now EXPLORE THE MAGIC OF SUNDARBANS with it’s first luxury Air conditioned houseboat providing the World’s first wildlife safari in a houseboat. Each and every day tour in the houseboat is personalized and unique as it is tailor made to the desires and expectation of the guests. The Houseboat is equipped with all modern amenities which we believe, will be beyond your expectations.
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Sunderban is an abode of luscious flora and fauna. The pristine nature is the dwelling habitat of The royal bengal tigers, spotted deers,monkeys, giant monitor lizard, wild boars, otters, turtles and several birds. The sighting of tiger is minuscule.Two days and two nights in a comfortable houseboat made our trip incredible.The houseboat has all the modern facilities like fridge, LCD - TV, AC ,binoculars,books and movies on wild life.
The living rooms are well furnished with attached toilets.The staff is soft spoken ,courteous and ready to help anytime. My special thanks to Mr. PALASH ,the cook who prepared sumptious meals well in time.Not a single dish was repeated. Thanks to Mr. MONTY (the manager), ANIRUDH (the guide), Mr, TAPAN (the Helper) and Mr. PRANAB ( the boat driver). The boat proceeds on the river Matla sluggishly giving us the opportunity to savour the serene beauty on either side. Only humidity irritates in day time when boat halts at various spots of Sunderban tiger reserve.

1  Thank Garima J

Reviewed 30 March 2017

the service and facilities were excellent, food was also superb. Though, not much wildlife could be seen but experience in the houseboat was itself refreshing. i would recommend 1N-2D pacakage to my family and friends.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

This is the only houseboat on the Sunderban, and if you are taking the time to visit the Kolkata area, you should try it. There are also day-boats on the Sunderban, but there is nothing like waking up to the calls of the birds along these peaceful waterways, and for that you need the houseboat.

International tourists may find the accommodations homespun rather than luxurious. But the ship is clean, well-maintained, and has everything you need. The crew was helpful, solicitous and friendly. A special thank you to Dapan Mandar (apologies if that is misspelled) who took care of us like family. The food was home-style but excellent, and plentiful. The coffee was honestly some of the best I have ever had in my life.

The crew provides you with entertainment each evening -- music videos one night, and a local dance troupe (for a reasonable extra charge) the next. It is a thoughtful and enjoyable program.

Our naturalist guide Summer (his name thoughtfully simplified for our Western ears) was knowledgeable and friendly, and the entire crew helped us spot birds and other wildlife.

If you are looking only for a luxury cruise for a party or romantic weekend, go to Kerala instead. This cruise is more about the natural wonder of the Sunderban, which is a unique and fascinating area. You will not see tigers -- they are too elusive in this area (and dangerous -- so you probably don't want to see one). We did see tiger tracks on the riverbank. But the bird life is amazing, and we saw lots of other wildlife -- a huge crocodile sunning itself on the land and then slipping silently into the water, dozens of kingfishers, egrets, fiddler crabs, mudskippers, and monitor lizards. We visited a beautiful village and several wildlife reserves. We spent a lot of time on deck watching the river pass by, or at the bow of the ship in the beanbag chairs.

A few practical notes for international visitors. The drive from Kolkata is a couple of hours and the roads are not great. However, the houseboat provided a car and driver who fetched us from our hotel and dropped us at the airport when we left. There is little mobile network coverage once you are cruising. Our room had a shower with hot water, but shipboard bathing is necessarily awkward, so take that nice long bath in your hotel before you travel to the ship. Most of the crew speaks a little English, but a couple speak it quite well, so communication works with a minimal effort. We booked a private trip and had the run of the ship.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, the price is reasonable, and cruising along the delta is relaxing and serene. Highly recommended.

3  Thank ichiji
Reviewed 20 March 2017

The staffs, foods, cleanliness and cordial welcome from Sunderban Houseboat really made my trip a lifetime memory...highly recommended..

Reviewed 19 March 2017

This trip has long been overdue. We have been planning to visit this place for the last couple of years, but evrytime something came in our way. I heard about this company from this very site. Although the overall reviews were good, to be very frank, I was at first very apprehensive about the quality of their service. During the planning of our trip, Mr. Roy, one of the proprietors, was very helpful with all the information. I am a very inquisitve person and asked a lot of questions and everytime Mr. Roy's response was affirmative. I asked him whether my mother, who is seventy and has osteoarthritis of both knee joints, would be able to travel with us, he just convinced me to bring her along. So, on 13.03.2017, our trip started. The pick-up time was 09:30 am and to our utter surprise, the car reached our address on time. And from then on, I was convinced that everything will be fine, because no matter what the bosses say, the staffs actually represent the company. Mr. Bhanjan, our minivan driver was very punctual and courteous. We were scheduled to reach Gadkhali jetty by 01:00 pm. We boarded the houseboat right on time. My mother was given special care while boarding the boat. Mr. Monty Sharma, our tour supervisor, was very helpful. We were greeted by Mr. Pranab Jana, the Captain of the vessel. As soon as we reached the upper deck, we were given welcome drinks and within half an hour our lunch was served. The word 'lavish' won't do justice to the quality and quantity of food. And that was true for all the meals. We were served three full meals everyday and evening snacks, which was nothing short of a meal. Mr. Pranab Jana can easily work as a wildlife guide for wildlife novices like me. He could identify a small creature from such a distnace when even my camera with its hiigh-tech zoom struggled to find any. He was always smiling and was always ready to share the titbits of his experience of 26 years with us. The next day, Mr. Arun Sarkar. our official tour guide boarded the vessel and he was the one who taught me and my daughters to identify different varieties of Kingfishers and Egrets. He was the one to show us the pugmarks of a tiger. My younger one, who is eight started identifying all the varieties of Egrets within half an hour. Thank you once again, Mr. Sarkar. I would also like to thank Mr. Monty Sharma for taking care of all our needs. The crew members, Tapan, Kripasindhu, Shubho, Palash, the cook and another boy, whose name I forgot, were all very helpful and attentive. The cabins are very comfortable and you hardly feel that you are staying in a houseboat.
I used to occupy a corner sofa on the upper deck lounge and sit there till midnight, enjoying the sounds that came from the forest which was just 30 metres away.
Overall, we had a wonderful time and I am looking forward to visit the place once again in not so far future and I'll of course travel in the same vessel with the same crew.

4  Thank doctorabhijit