“Costly but very good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Peerless Inn

The Peerless Inn
Ranked #33 of 217 Hotels in Kolkata
Mumbai
“Costly but very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I had been to Kolkatta for an official visit and stayed in this hotel for 2 days. The rooms are good and the breakfast was aweome. But the hotel management is very charge oriented. I had requested for a mobile charger for 1/2 hour for which they sent me a bill of 100 INR. Given an option I would like to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Whenever I visit Kolkata on my business trips, Peerless Inn is the first choice because of its Value for Money preposition. Secondly since its located in the heart of Kolkata, the famous Park Street is just couple of minutes away. Its convinient to visit places around. Wonderful hospitality and quality service.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

I was planning to stay in the heart of Kolkata and so my travel agent suggested to reserve the room in this hotel. Although It is very old hotel but once you are inside, the ambience is at par to any first class five star hotel. Me and my wife were traveling together and we reached late at hotel. As their check-in time was 1200 noon. Front desk person welcomed us well and promptly made us check-in. They also explained about dinner option available in the late night. We choose room service and were not ready to go down in the restaurant. decor of room was contemporary. This hotel also has got in house gym and all basic workout equipments were available. They have good masseur too as I had opportunity to have one full body massage. Next day we were sleeping for late and in the evening realised that my laundry has nit been done. So called up the housekeeping no. provided in the directory in the room. But the person at other end expressed inability to accept my request. I took my laundry bag and went down to lobby and one gentleman there seemed to be from hotel asked me for any assistance. upon listening to me he called upsomeone and my laundry bag was taken from me and to my surprise It was all done and delivered into my room in the same evening. Leter I came to know that he was general manager of the hotel. It was one of the best experience of hospitality services , I have ever came across the Globe.

Room Tip: request receptionist for front facing room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Well, it was completion of our East India Tour and this hotel overall services complimented the journey. Excellent locations with warmest hospitality by their staffs are in our memory. we were upgraded to suite as the receptionist was hospitable enough to upgrade us as we were family of 3 travelling. Food was excellent and bed linen was very fresh. Perfect for any leaisue as well as business traveller. And donot forget to taste their Hilsa preparation at Aaheli restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I've travelled to India on two other occasions and so was well aware of the less than stellar hotel accommodation options. So, on this trip, I decided that there'd be no slumming it. the single criteria being a hotel that falls into the TripAdvisor Top 10. So, I decided to book into the Peerless Inn.

The Peerless Inn makes an excellent first impression; the reception area, the coffee shop and the overall layout of the reception area is without fault. The issues comes when you get to the room and look beyond the surface of things. While the rooms are reasonably furnished and could do with a revamp they are adequate, a little overpriced in comparison to other better accommodation in Delhi and Mumbai.

Where the Peerless Inn leaves much to be desired is in the area of cleanliness.

1. The bathroom basin is caked in filth (in the two rooms I was in), there is a green-black lining of something in the basin. (see photo)
2. The toilet is disgusting (see photo)
3. The carpets smell of mould
4. The wooden base set of the bed has obviously never been dusted. (see photo)
5. The pillowcases are dodgy at best.
6. I was served a coffee with lipstick on it, and when I asked for another cup received yet another filthy cup - wiped down with the waitrons fingers.
7. To add insult to injury, I was provided with a spoon that had hardened chocolate on it.
8. At breakfast, I was told to have a opened bottle of water that another guest had left behind.
8. Did I mention THE RAT - While all these items are tolerable; coming into ones room (room 515) and finding a rat traipsing over the vanity was really the final straw. I asked to be immediately have my room changed and was moved to room 1007. I was told that I would get to speak to the general manager on the following day at 11:30. No apology or any assurances were offered.

I'm currently writing this review, when what I should be doing is working, however it is impossible to work with the constant banging taking place in the next room by maintenance staff. I've called reception 3 times to report this, and the duty manager has the audacity to say "what noise", when the banging is audible throughout the passages on the 10th floor.

I can only hope that my remaining hours at the Peerless Inn, go without incident. It was been a dreadful experience staying here. I rely heavily on these tripadvisor reviews for my travels, and hope this review provides readers, the insight required to make an informed decision.

It goes without saying, that I cannot recommend the Peerless Inn. It is overpriced with very little value and customer centricity, let alone cleanliness.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank marlinwebster

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata hotels