“Consistently average”
Review of Lytton Hotel

Lytton Hotel
Ranked #83 of 250 Hotels in Kolkata
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I have stayed in this hotel for more than 20 times in the last 3-4 years.

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's close to the main shopping and eating areas, and yet secluded. It's also quite close to the railway station.

The food is also good. The room service is quick and I have never had a stomach upset in the past 3-4 years. The morning complimentary breakfast is also very good. The restaurant is best skipped because it is small and dingy.

The rooms are dated but well maintained and clean. Most rooms could use a facelift though.

The hotel's owner stays right above the hotel and I think that this plays a very important role in the good maintenance of this hotel.

All said, I am currently paying around Rs. 4900/night including taxes. This is a bit pricey for this hotel and I am looking at better options around in this price range.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Tastefully refurbished but a bit gloomy, a stay at this once grand little hotel is dogged by all sorts of annoying random visits from hovering staff aimed at harvesting tips. The complimentary breakfast could best be skipped for a happy start to the day. Hard bed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The hotel provides reliable airport pick up at Rs 1000 with AC car. The rooms are decent, clean and of average presentation. I feel the prices are affordable and the services provided suits the room tariffs etc. For a Single room it was Rs.5321 with Tax.
Though it is located around New Market area and at night the place seems unsafe but once you are inside the hotel compounds, I assure you feel safe and there is security at the gate too. Once day breaks, you will be surprised to see the surrounding areas for example outside my window was an 19th century opera house like many parts of Kolkata, it has a lot of historical and heritage building within that area.
I will certainly recommend slightly above budget travellers.

Room Tip: Check with hotel staff
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank renovung
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Hotel Lytton: Economical
Whenever I travel to Kolkata, I book my room in Hotel Lytton. It is on a side street called Sudder Street. It is very near the New Market which is the best place to shop for clothes, handbags, footwear etc at good discounts. Always bargain when buying stuff at New Market. It is also near the Oberoi Grand, so asking directions to the place is easy.

The rooms are neat and well laid out and the staff are very courteous. The food is also good.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I was in Kolkatta for 10 days and rooms were scarce. I am a photographer and Lytton happened to be in the neighbourhood where I needed to be for my work.

This hotel was not my first pick and will forever be my LAST pick since actually staying there.

Attitude of the staff was deplorable and Management event worse.

The lights and power shut off every day. I discovered was just a ruse to make me call the front desk, which invariable led to someone standing at my door with their hand out for a tip.

The free “wifi” was shut off every day. This too was just a ruse to make me call the front desk so someone could put out their hand for a tip.

Even when I didn’t have a problem – staff continuously came to my door at awkward times to check if I had enough towels…..of course they knew I did; because the had just cleaned my room. Of course, the real motivation was just to have another opportunity to put their hand out.

Finally I said – LOOK – I will tip you all when I leave…..suddenly power and wifi interruptions stopped and nuisance “service” visits stopped.

Third world service, 4 star price. Hotel advertises “free wifi” and round the clock services.

My air conditioner didn’t work, so a service man came to the room. T

his is when the biggest disaster started…….the man started moving my belongings around. I asked him to allow me to d it…..but he didn’t listen and suddenly my camera bag crashed to the floor and all of the contents scattered.

A $1500 lens was destroyed. I went to speak with the manager,

Mr Punwani. He seemed concerned at first, and sent me to the Nikon store to see about fixing it. Nikon advised that it could not be repaired, so I asked Mr Punwani to reimburse me so I could get a new lens. He told me he would do everything to look after the problem.

Finally – after 5 weeks in India after having contacted him repeatedly, he declined to do anything. I finally went back to the hotel, and managed to get into his office to speak with him politely about the incident. He told me it was not his problem. He also told me that he already compensated me by discounting my room rate (which is a complete lie, I paid the full posted rate….).

Finally he said that he would credit me back but since the bank (HSBC) was closed, he would do it the following day. Lie. I continued to email Mr Punwani and the hotel repeatedly since my return, but have never received the courtesy of one reply.

Mr. Punwani’s AUDI R8 sits in the front of the hotel most days, his Aston Martin and his Hummer on other days. If only he would pay his staff adequately or invest in customer service…..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business