We visited Kolkata for a wedding, and stayed at the Taj Bengal for four nights with our 20 month old daughter. The overall experience was fantastic, and I look forward to returning there someday. If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, and value good service and location, then this property is the place to stay.
The rooms – As expected: We were fortunate to get an upgrade to Taj Club, which meant that the room was well equipped and the check-in was a breeze. The beds were comfortable, and the pillow choices could be made. It was also specious given the daybed/lounge extension. As against other luxury hotels, I would say that the Taj Club rooms were “similar”, post discounting for the fact that this property is old.
The service – The “Aaha” factor: It is the service that will make your stay memorable. The staff will deliver on your needs effectively and quickly. They and will then surprise you with the attention to personal details. This includes checking on your needs at every opportunity (warm and humble), addressing your whole family by name (requires effort!!), getting your housing keeping done to your specification everyday (i.e., they don’t mix it up!!!), etc. In fact, every interaction with the staff is a pleasure.
Now, I like to believe that I am a tough customer, so I can’t leave a comment that is all positive, so here are some of the small negatives, if they make a difference to you. 1) The bathrooms are not very well equipped. Shower is on top of the tub, and the basin area is rather low with a small sink. 2) The breakfast spread is similar everyday (four mornings!!!), etc.
However, in my mind, the shortcoming are more than overcome by the staff’s service level and the overall cleanliness of the hotel. Overall, my family had a great experience, and the stay became one of our holiday highlights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taj Bengal, designed by the legendary Bob Fox, stands as an elegant Kolkata landmark. It is in close proximity to the commercial centre, Government Offices and Consulates, and must-see sights like the Victoria Memorial, Royal Calcutta Race Course, Horticulture Gardens, National Library and the Zoological Gardens. Iconic host to Heads of State, dignitaries and international business head-honchos, it is geared to the needs of the global business traveller. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Hotels.com, ClearTrip, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Bengal Kolkata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Bengal Kolkata Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Taj Bengal Hotel Kolkata
- Taj Bengal Kolkata West Bengal