See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I happened to stay at NIPS Service Apartment at their Salt Lake branch twice in May 2014 and June 2014 for the business trip. First things first- Location- This place is located in salt Lake area, relatively close to the airport (45 min approx, INR 225 by non air conditioned pre paid taxi from Airport) .away from the main tourist attractions of the city so unless you have some business in this area, staying in this location is not advisable. Connectivity to the downtown by public transport barring taxies is a problem.Be ready to shell out at least INR 220-250 one-way to the downtown ( Esplanade, Park Street etc.) But on the plus side, close to the location there is ongoing construction of Salt Lake City Centre Metro Station. On its completion the connectivity to the rest of the city will be less of a problem. The location is close to the Salt Lake City Centre Mall and it acts as a good landmark to locate the area. Property lacks the most basic thing and that is a proper SIGNBOARD! Instead that all they have is a paper printed with just EC-98 and pasted on the door! Locating it on your first visit is a nightmare unless you remember that EC-98 is the number of your desired building! Neighborhood is mainly residential and has almost empty streets at night so safety can be a question here especially late in the night so common sense should prevail!
Ok, now about the property itself. Rooms- I stayed in a room on second floor and in my second visit stayed in the room on the ground floor. The room on the second floor was nice, spacious, quiet and clean. However the room on the ground floor was noisy being located next to the kitchen. While the beds were hard and not the most comfortable but were very clean. Bathroom was clean with clean towels. They don't give you toiletries, instead there is a liquid hand wash dispenser and a body wash cum shampoo cum face wash dispenser! Its weird, I've never seen such a multipurpose concoction before. Bathrooms have individual geysers which is really a nice feature. The AC was not powerful enough and was struggling to cool the room, was old (read noisy, without temp setting function) and obviously without remote control, with manually adjusted knobs. Electric kettle was good during my first visit but was smelly in the second visit so had to request for a replacement. TV was nonfunctional in my room on my second visit , i came to know this after coming back from busy day of work at around 10.30 -11 pm, on calling the reception desk no one was available and call was not even answered and no one was even visible in the lobby of in and around dining area, strange!- so was left with no option but to sleep!
This property doesn't have its restaurant but their cook prepares the food on order. rates are reasonable. Food, continental breakfast was delicious. Full marks. I must mention the caretaker Mr. Saha is very helpful and cooperative and is genuinely interested in helping the guests. Overall for the price ( Approx INR 2500 a night with breakfast) its definitely recommended for a budget conscious business traveler.

Room tip: Choose the room on the higher floor first or second those are quiet (But beware there is No lift)
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
NIPS2014, Manager at NIPS Corporate Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Sir,
It was indeed, a pleasure to have you with us during your recent visit to Kolkata and I take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. I have noted your specific feedback and I request you to please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.
We truly value your opinions and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
Please do feel free to write to me directly when you are ready to plan your next trip to Kolkata in order for me to personally ensure that you have a seamless and a memorable stay with us.
We value your patronage and we look forward to an opportunity to serve you better in the near future.
Thanks & Regards,
Pradyut Saha
Manager

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had rented all the rooms of the apartments for a week when we were in Kolkata for a wedding in the family. The rooms were clean and the service was good. The caretakers were very warm and helpful. The breakfast was limited but good enough. We had pre ordered for lunch and dinner for the whole group of 25 people on a couple of occasions and they didn't disappoint.
The apartments are at walking distance to city centre mall and the yellow-black cabs can be flagged down from near the mall. The location is quite nice. Only two of the sports channels were showing on TV.
Though not very fancy, the bedroom linen and towels were clean. The rooms and washrooms were neat and tidy. It is good for a decent budget stay.
We spent New Years eve with family in the apartments but were shocked to see that the next morning half the quantity of alcohol in two bottles were missing. I must mention that all other belongings were safe and untouched for the entire duration of our stay. The caretakers treated us well but this one sour incident didn't go down well with us.

Room tip: Choose room with attached bath (Yes they have a couple of rooms where the bathroom is just outside it)
Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank tintz27
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the place for five nights. We were five of the family and booked two rooms.
The location is in a posh residential area and a little out of the way near to a large shopping complex.
This is used mainly by business travelers seeking low cost over night staying place.
Rooms are of good size, bathroom is not bad, beds are ok and service is adequate.
Breakfast is to be ordered in advance, lunch and dinner menu is very limited and not satisfactory.
Over all it is a safe and comfortable accommodation at a reasonable price if somebody expects bed and breakfast facility only.

Date of stay: November 2013
Reviewed 13 April 2013

If you are looking for an affordable, decent serviced apartment for long stay, NIPS at Kolkata is a nice choice. Location is good, just 3 to 4 minutes walk from City Centre Mall. There is also a market within 2 minutes called the EC market incase you need to buy medicines, toiletries, cosmetics etc. Rooms are large, airy and well done. There is a small flat TV which is fine. The writing table is difficult to use, as it is small and occupied by kettle, set top box, glasses etc. The bathroom could have been maintained better. That was one draw back. Second draw back was, the AC was struggling to cool the room. While it is manageable when combined with the fan, I think the size of the room warrants 2 ton a/c. Food is good, freshly prepared to your liking in the kitchen. This is a big plus point. If you have business in the downtown i.e Park Street etc, you need to budget 30~40 minutes for traveling every time. Otherwise once you get back to the hotel, with city centre mall nearby you can have a nice time in the evening. Overall it is value for money.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Vishmon
Reviewed 8 November 2012

After a lot of hesitation I booked this room in NIPS Apartment and I do not regret.
Big room for a single traveler, Nice service.
You can stay here anyday. Feels like home.
The tv is bit small compared to the room. Needs some nice paint job not bad though but its just white.

Date of stay: November 2012