“Malay & Singaporean Flavours: A Kolkata Exclusive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Malaysian, Asian, Singaporean
Good for: Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
“Malay & Singaporean Flavours: A Kolkata Exclusive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Tucked away just a few strides from the busy Rashbehari Avenue in south Kolkata, Straits takes the notion of exclusivity a step further with its focus on Nyonya cuisine. The minimalist decor and delicious cuisine make dining a memorable experience. The menu features delights such as Tom Yam, Sambal Fried Rice, Mutton Rendang and Singapore Chili Crab. Desserts on offer include exclusives such as Sago Gula Melaka and Agar Agar. The emphasis is on freshness and nutritional value and the super-attentive service that make every customer feel special.

2 Thank Souvik M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Mumbai
“The Malaysian Delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My trip to Kolkata is incomplete without a meal at Straits...
The food here is simply delicious...after every bite you are left asking for more...
The ambiance exudes warmth and is very inviting...and once you are inside it is the intoxicating aroma and the brilliant taste, which takes you for the most awesome culinary ride...
I am not good with names so can't suggest specific dishes but my suggestion is go with the chef's recommendation sit back and just enjoy the treat...

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Debosmita M
Mumbai
“A must try for the uninitiated, a must revisit for the more fortunate like me!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have pet restaurants that I always visit on my culinary pilgrimage whenever I'm back home in Calcutta - and Straits is my new addition to this list. I was hoping to try something new, and the prospect of Malay - Singaporean Cuisine definitely tickled my gastronomical curiosity.. and by God, has it been satiated! Having tried samplings of a similar kind of cuisine on my trips to Singapore, Malaysia and surprisingly South Africa (!), I was impressed with the authenticity of the flavors - and though some may say it is an acquired taste, I found it very adaptable to the Indian palette. I had the Prawn fritters for starters (the chilli sauce is mind-blowing), the sambal fried rice (amazingly nothing like anything I've tried anywhere in India), the eggplant and paneer gravy (great news for vegetarian patrons), and the tiger prawns in black pepper sauce (the prawns were so huge I had to check if they were baby lobsters) But the dish that truly blew me away was the dessert - Deep Fried Chocolate (sigh!) This was like a chocolate version of the corn dog and for once I'm not guilty despite the calories. The service was above par with an extremely enthusiastic and amicable staff. The decor looked carefully hand-picked and unique - with charming curios juxtaposed with quaint looking asian style furniture. The menu is concise and self explanatory and shows that the restaurant believes in only serving what they make best. I like the fact that I didn't have to scan through hundreds of dishes which would only make me more confused. Apart from the fact that I loved everything, I was impressed by the fact that the restaurant has tried to provide an equal number of good vegetarian dishes - so i can take my parents there next time :) To sum up - it is great value for money - with ample servings to justify the prices. And, don't miss the deep fried chocolate (sigh again!)

2 Thank pragyaguptachopra
Kolkata
“An Unique Culinary Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

This restaurant in a very accessible part of Kolkata is the right place for a relaxed meal with your family or partner. It specialises in Nonya Cuisine which combines Chinese, Malay & Thai culinary styles into an unique food experience. For starters Prawn Fritters(Cucur Udaan) is a must have for its heavenly flavors. In the Main section a bowl of steamed rice would go well with Mutton Rendang. On weekends the place also serves Hainanese Chicken Rice which when blended properly with the accompanying sauces tastes good. I suggest Sagu Gula Melaka for dessert. To me,the Nyonya style appeared a little on the sweeter side. It is certainly an acquired taste and at Rs. 1000/head i recommend it to foodies & culinary practitioners. Five star given to the restaurant for its wonderful hospitality starting right from Valet Parking. The ambience is cosy & the decor is tastefully done .The executive chef Chef Kumal loves to interact with the patrons & makes you feel very welcome. To sum up, for a few extra bucks this is a wonderful place to expand your food horizon.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lifetraveller1
“Lamb-bastic Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Being a foodie I came in with an expectation and the chef blew me off my feet literally...

It was no where on the menu but the Lamb Chops that he got were heavenly

Straits has now become one of my have toos on visitng Kolkata

Way to go Straits