“Singaporean / Mallay food in BENGAL :)”
Review of Straits - CLOSED

Straits
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Singaporean / Mallay food in BENGAL :)”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Hey People,

Nomoshkar, hello and hola. Sorry for the repititive salutation, but I am new to this sphere of review writing for "FOOD". Now, when in the city of joy and amongst the fond food eating people in "Kolkata / Calcutta", the only thing people do with sincere pride and pleasure is eat good "FOOD". Now !!! "Straits" has been a personal revelation as this restro is off the hook. I have tried malayasian cuisine earlier during my transient stay in the "states", but having revisted some authentic malay food after ages has been mind blowing. For all those food lovers in Kolkata, or planning a visit to Kolkata I suggest you guys pay a visit to this mecca of good malayasian cuisine atleast once. I personally have developed an addiction for the "Butter fried Prawns" - have to try this to believe this. The "Top Hats" are amazing, the traditional "Mutton Rendack *(mutton with coconut milk and lemon grass)*", with rice or "flat top noddles with chickem, eggs and shrimps" is something that just hits the spot. I am cursing myself for visiting "Straits" after its opening of 6 months. To top this good food you guys have to say hello to the proud owner and manager of the restaurant ; Mr. Joydeep Chatterjee, the ultimate host with just one core objective - " Eat good food and feed even better food".

If any of you pay a visit just tell Mr. Chatterjee that a friend Mr. Souvik Sen said thanks for good food.

Cheers,
Souvik Sen
Dubai, UAE

1 Thank Souvik S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Fort Collins, Colorado
“Experiencing Nyonya Cuisine in Kolkata”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We started with Chicken Satay and Cucur Udang. The peanut sauce of the Chicken Satay had coarsely ground peanuts and it was absolutely delicious -- quite different from the peanut sauce we get in the Thai restaurants in the U.S. The Cucur Udang had pretty big prawns with a yummy chilly sauce.

We sampled a few dishes as part of the main course. Eggplant Rendang was very very novel -- paneer wrapped by eggplant slices and cooked to perfection! Kari Kai has scope for improvement -- the chicken was a bit overdone. Ikan Bawal was good.

We finished with Sago Gula Melaka and Deep Fried Mars Bars. The Sago Gula Melaka was unique, but it felt quite heavy after the big meal!

Our youngest group member (aged 5) had fish fingers and chips which she absolutely loved. Chicken Satay was a big hit with her as well.

Service was awesome! Waiters attended to our needs, without infringing on our privacy -- something that is pretty rare in Kolkata.

Decor was elegant, but it also made us feel very cozy and comfortable.

Overall ambience and feel was excellent.

2 Thank NarahariDas
Great Sand Dunes National Park
“A must try for food connoisseurs”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We have lived and travelled in Southeast Asia. And loved the food. So when we heard there was this new restaurant in town serving Nonya food, we headed straight for it. And there are no regrets. The attractive decor and relaxing atmosphere created just the right ambience. We were pleasantly surprised reviewing the items listed in the menu because they were primarily of Nonya origin. The starters, including satay with peanut sauce were authentic and very much lived up to our expectations. The mutton rendang and the prawns were spicy and delicious. Fried kway teow was excellent. The dessert that I had was somewhat weak. But the rest of the party must have ordered the right sweet dish for they were highly satisfied. Throughout the evening service by friendly waiters was very good.
We would definitely go back and try other dishes. We now know what to expect at STRAITS, for if you drive by you would not realize that ' STRAITS' is a restaurant.

4 Thank Spiritualdunes
Kolkata, India
“Our bad luck, we were told, that we were unable to hear ourselves think...or feel ourselves eat!”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We went with great hopes to Straits yesterday -- Nonya cuisine is among my favourites, and this was a first in Calcutta. Despite its unpromising location, we decided to try it, based on a promising-sounding menu...and sound, as it turned out, was key to our experience. The decor was appropriately unpretentious, but still interesting, and the waiters were well-mannered. The food was disappointing though -- the gado gado was a platter of tired looking salad whose individual components were well segregated (unlike the colourful, crunchy, well-mixed bowls of delicious greens I'm used to), with however a reasonable peanut sauce on the side -- perhaps the latter was the best part of our entire meal. The sambal udang was heavy on the blachan and light on chilli heat -- surprisingly, the restaurant had no extra sauces on offer apart from a sweet chilli sauce. The mutton rendang was the most disappointing part of the meal -- a far cry from the rich and spicy intensity I'm used to cooking and eating, it seemed to have been watered down (not so unlikely given that Thursday is usually a meatless day in most markets, and we may have been eating the deglazed offerings of the previous day's rendang) in spice, with a bitter aftertaste of ageing blachan, without the piquancy of tamarind and the richness of coconut cream that is usually there for the tasting. To add insult to injury, there were a group of about 7 rowdies who drowned out not just our conversation, but our thoughts and even our taste -- I couldn't feel myself eat, much less hear myself think, for most of our meal. When I asked the management to ask these people to speak for their, rather than our, benefit, I was told by the waiter that this wasn't possible, as they were 'regulars'. After they left, the chef came out and asked for our opinions on our meal -- on being told the above, he was somewhat defensive about my culinary criticisms, and outright dismissive about our suggestion that the management ought to have intervened to allow all of us to enjoy our meals. He said it was '(y)our bad luck' that we had shown up with these people, who were his 'regular' clients, and could not be asked to be quieter! Straits' choice of clientele is its own, but for what it's worth, I won't be going back, and will not recommend to connoisseurs of good food who like to eat out companionably in a cultured ambience.

• Visited September 2011