“an evening to remember”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2009

hi, last evening my friends took me to this restaurant in kolkata the five rivers,we went there at dinner hours and believe me this is the finest restaurant i have come accross in my life,amazing interiors i should say, three of us sat on a table next to the bar counter from where i could see the spectacular view of the city in lights through the strngs of water falling from waterfall near to this huge glass area. my hosts ordered a round of black dog whiskey, which we sipped with bitings from a welcome snack offered to us, after which came the snacks which i should say were the most delicious bites of my life so far, we had this tikka baluchis some mutton kebab about wich i was warned by my hosts as one of the most addictive snacks around,which actually tasted amazing,masaledar we gulped the whole thing within minutes,we also had this fish kebab,yummy and seemed to be salmon fish along with chicken grilled tandoori types but again amazing but what we could not resist was ordering that mutton kebab again. after this snacks and another coupl of round of whiskeys we were too full to ordere any thing else so we setteled with some birayani and raita which was again too delicious to resist even with an almost full stomach and the evening ended with a wondrfull paan drink which i tasted for the first time, this is a sure place to go again when i visit calcutta with my family.

4  Thank jsjskkol
There are newer reviews for The Five Rivers

Reviewed 6 August 2009

A unique and magnificent interior invites you with a full platter of delicecy from Kashmir and punjab. The Most attractive about the interior is a Dome with a chandelier in between of the restaurant. The sitting arrangments are quite relaxing among those few are facing towards the lights of the city.The view is flawless . Now if we talk about the food-The dishesh in the menu and it's description creates an interest to try quite a few of them.The dishesh we tried were new for us but the experiment was a complete success and the pleasure of it was unbelievable,One of those we tried was nadar ka Goshtaba which was meat kofta dipped in white gravy which was accompanied by Baqarkhani roti's from kashmir were amezing.If you really wanna try something new and looking for a good value of money it is a must go restaurant in town. It is always good to make a prior reservation as we had to wait more that 45 minutes to get our table.

7  Thank Paankhi
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The restaurant looked bright and well decorated from outside and with the name of Jiggs Kalra associated with it, this was one place that could not have been missed. My colleagues who had visited this place before warned me against going to this place but I did otherwise.

The interior decor which looked so attractive from outside, didn't fell right from inside. The chandelier was beautiful, the outside view was good. But then it lacked the right ambiance for a fine dining restaurant. If I benchmark Afraa in City Center Salt Lake as what a fine dining restaurent should be, then this falls way behind. The dome looked artifical and this spoilt the whole ambience. The interior decor looked gawdy when it should have looked refined and sophisticated if it wanted to replicate the splendor or Maharaja Ranjit Singh's dining room. Overall the interior decor was a bit disappointing. The saving grace was the ghazals being played in the background. If you look away from the artificial dome and inappropriate interior decor, the ghazals would give you a old world charm

The food could not have been worse. Tabak Maas was totally bland. As my colleague had said, it didnt have any salt in it. Not all restaurant can make good mutton. This too failed miserably. It was so bad that by the end it would leave a bad taste in the mouth. The main course was slightly better. The kulchae and naans are definitely good. Try the stuffed kulchae which is known as Amritsari Kulchae Roadwaley. Kashmiri cuisine here is strictly a no for food lovers.Punjabi cuisine can be tried here. But remember the food is pretty heavey and portion is good.

the only thing that I found has improved is service. service was quick. May be coz it was a weekday night and the restaurant was not too filled up. But on a weekend it would take approx 30-45 mins to get a place during peak hours. Its better to reserve on weekends but not necessary for weekdays.

The prices are bit on the higher side. Thats obvious since the restaurant has positioned itself as fine dining restaurant. But the exp doesnt match upto that of fine dining.

1  Thank ritwick
Reviewed 16 July 2009

been to this wonderful dining place in mani square mall kolkata , am a big fan already,never seen such a beautiful decor , never eaten such a delicious food , never ever seen such a caring staff . would like to visit ever and ever and ever.

7  Thank sahilchdthakur
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Hi got the oppurtunity to dine at The Five Rivers at Mani Square Kolkata....after waiting for 2 hours got a amazing table near fountain with an excellent view. Music was great ......service i would rate 10 out of 10..........amazing food.............guess what it was a delight to have such a five star service in a mall resturant.......................

Food was great...must try is
- the five rivers dal
- Ghostaba
- guchi
- Kheer

.........enways i will be going back there very soon to celebrate my mums bday.................

8  Thank tanyadugar