“Decent food joint!”

Cuisines: Chinese, Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 17 September 2012

After hearing many a times about Arsalan from my Kolkata-loving wife, I was too tempted to try this place out. After having enjoyed Biryani and Kababs from Hyd, Blr, Chennai, Delhi and Mumbai, Arsalan had a tough job in hand to satiate my tounge. To be honest, it couldn't live upto the expectations!

Tandoori Chicken was well cooked but needed little more spices. Lahori chicken was the best and tasted very good. Laccha parantha can be given a skip and naan looks like tandoori roti. Biryani was served in a plate with nothing extra - no raita or salan (first time I have seen this). So we ordered for raita separately. They gave us a sweet raita - yuk man! Who eats biryani with sweet raita? Its better to avoid it. Biryani was well cooked and so was the chicken in it. Pepper was evident in larger quantity and overall the taste was little bland. Pepper mixed rice flakes, one large piece of chicken and one big piece of potato - all this combined together and you have Arsalan Biryani! There was no masala or onion based gravy in it to make it taste better. You'd need to order for a chicken or mutton curry separately if you want to enjoy biryani.

Rates are very reasonable with biryani costing 120 each! Roti were slightly on a higher side! We paid total of 1150 bucks for a food of 5 people! For me, the highlight was Lahori Chicken which I simply loved. Next time I visit, I'd love to try their kababs and some other dishes. Though, I am quite sure that I'll give the Biryani and Raita a miss definitely!

1  Thank Ravi S

Reviewed 12 September 2012

To get the real taste of authentic Mughlai cuisine one need to visit ARSALAN a trusted name in Mughlai dishes at the heart of the city of joy.

I am a snob when it comes to Biryani. Having had the best of the Biryani (Hyderabadi) world, I can't be otherwise. Comparing the two styles will be blasphemy and hence I won't. The mutton biryani (the real deal for benchmarking) was surprisingly good and the mutton stew to go with it was incredible.
I do have some problems though. I don't like potatoes in my Biryani (and the Calcutta version is notorius for it) and little less of kewra essence (which is rampant in eastern Indian muslim cuisine) would do but hey, I am not complaining. A great experience.
The service was neat and the staff friendly.

ARSALAN being incorporated on 6th of October 2002, is serving the food loving people of Kolkata with a variety of Mughlai dishes starting from a range of Tandoors, Kababs, Biryanis, Rotis to choose from at their Mariana Garden Court, 191, Park Street (Park Circus, 7 Point Crossing) Kolkata – 700017.

Marina Garden Court, 191,
Park Circus Area,Kolkata
033-22848556,033-22844010,033-64525366

QUICK FACTS
Timings:
10:30 AM to 12:30 AM (Open All 7 Days)
Food Type:
Ambiance: Casual Dining
Average Meal for Two: Rs. 300

1  Thank TheTravellingSoul
Reviewed 12 September 2012

It was our anniversary & she loved the way we celebrated with a dinner in Arsalan with Biryani, Chaap & unmatched Chicken Arsalan Kebab.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

i can assure you in normal days the food quality,varity, and service is realy good.the moghlai food is just mouth watering. you guys will get everything there, all kind of items for veg and non veg, its a great family and freinds hang out option

1  Thank Avishek B
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The biryani was awsome. As was the Chaap and Rezala. Though I would feel, Shiraj is still the best in Kolkata.