Hotel Sonar Bangla - Darjeeling
US$ 61
Cedar Inn(Darjeeling)
Mayfair Darjeeling(Darjeeling)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsduplex roomtaxi standsuper deluxe roomsthe check in processroom service was excellentbengali foodplace to staybudget hotelstayed in this hotel for nightshot waterroom rentprime locationtop floorwalking distancehotel managementbasic amenitiesvisiting darjeeling
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was the worst hotel I have every stayed with. why? Here the answer follows

1. I booked the hotel by seeing 3 star category on makemytrip. I am unable to find any single reason why this hotel is given 3 star.

1. As soon as you enter the hotel reception with family the attendant give you a cold look, looks like he is treating you as another piece of work which he need to do.

2. When we entered the room we found room stinks.

3. The carpet on the room floor was years old, dirty.
4. The blanket was dirty and years old, those were aged out, however hotel is still keeping those.
5. If you ask for normal drinking water, the water mug is old , cheap, plastic and dirty enough that you cant even touch that.
6. If you look out from hotel window..You will find another dirty wall filled with filth just 2 foot away. better you keep the window closed. There is no AC or fan in the room, through which you can get some air circulation.
7. I thought bathroom must be having an exhaust fan, which I can run to get air circulation in the room, but I failed there as well
8. Room width is just 7.5 or 8 foot, room height is again 7.5 foot and with stale air in the room it gives you a feeling that you are locked up in a prisoner’s cell.
8. In the night at around 11:30, I heard a lot of noise. I found that hotel staff was taking dinner and making lot of noise while having dinner. I requested them but noise didn’t go low.
9. Next morning I enquired attendant about if they can arrange a cab for local sightseeing, I got a cold answer that he doesn’t know much and I should talk to a person sitting in lobby on guest sofa.
10. I asked that person, the casually informed that person who deals with cab is not around and you can arrange a cab yourself by going to taxi stand.
11. Later I realized that person I talked with was the hotel manager who was sitting on guest sofa without even taking a bath and with 2-3 days old shave.
12. The breakfast offerred was pathetic, just omelet and tea, forget fresh cut fruits or juice or cornflakes.
13. I took my son to bathroom at 9:00 am and found that there is cold water running. When I complained, I found that they shut down water heaters from some center point even without informing the guest.
14. Overall a third grade, pathetic, stinking hotel with inhuman, rude attendants and Manager. Go to this only if you want to get a prison like experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank A_K_008
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed in Sonar Bangla Darjeeling from June 4- 6, 2012. The rooms (404- 405) are very- very dirty & the service is extremely poor. The blankets are torn off.

The complimentary breakfast is never served on time. The dinner was taste less. During dinner when we ordered soup the waiter said pl. do not order as it may take almost an hour to serve. For additional chapatees the waiter souted back & said it may take about 30 min.

pl. do think over before going to thei hotel.

Room Tip: pl. think several times before going to this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank anil397
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We were in Room No. 506. Location is excellent. Service boy Manoj’s behaviour is good. But I feel tariff is at higher side. Do not book online. We will not get discount. Over phone you will get better discount & better room. Manager & Reception person are non-accommodative. Food so so, but higher priced.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Partha_Pandit
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The room service and food is very good. Specially they welcome good way.Some guy named Fatik was very nice with us in delivering food or cleaning room upto see us off.Another thing is they know timings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank pabitra430
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My dad and mom were to Visit Shiliguri and Darjeeling for a Cancer workshop in the last week of April this year. I did the booking of this hotel through Hotel.com atleast 10-15 days in advance and was well aware that the booking was Non refundable.

The details are given below :
Hotels.com itinerary number: 18841739813
Hotels.com booking ID: 282889457 (63)
Hotel confirmation number: EXPE0000688222
Reserved for: Pradip Kumar Lahiri
Check in: Thu 26-Apr-2012
Check out: Sat 28-Apr-2012

23rd April we hear the political situation of Darjeeling was pretty unstable and there were some gunshots in and around Darjeeling. So the organization which was conducting the workshop cancelled the whole program thinking about the safety of the people who would be coming from other states. After getting the cancellation news I requested Hotel.com to consider my sitaution and asked for a refund. There was no way my parents could have travelled because the situation was not safe at all. There were news of curfew and other happenings around the city. I mailed them some news articles which showed that it was not safe to travel to Darjeeling that week. The Hotel.com guys in turn started their discussion with Mr Palash Tarader to see if they can consider the case and give a refund.

Mr Tahader didnt want to listen anything and flatly refused to consider the situation and discuss any refund.

I am shocked and really really upset.....this Mr Tahader has no brain in his head ? The situation was not safe for us to travel ....so if not refund he could have offered a credit for next 6 months......NOTHING......he just flatly refused.....

So travelers.......if the owner of this place acts so weird and inconsiderate you can understand what will be the situation and hospitality of the hotel. They just want to earn money in whichever way is possible.

Sitting in Mumbai I feel so helpless......I have no cluse what more i can do other than brooding over the whole thing. At one point i thought of taking legal help through my uncle.....the amount is small Rs 8000/- something....but what upsets me is the way this Mr Tahader behaved in the whole process. I am sure his hotel must not be full because of the political situation and he though this is an easy way to earn money during the trouble . Pathetic and disgraceful.........

The only small thing which I have done is written a letter to all the travel agents in Mumbai and Pune ( had the database of all the travel agents and Tours & travels ) stating the situation and how pathetic was my experience with this Hotel.

PLEASE PLEASE TRAVELERS BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU ARE BOOKING THIS HOTEL>>>>.........

Room Tip: Do not stay here !!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family