Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews orange garden home stay evening snacks play guitar super deluxe cottage home away from home host mr city life food quality modern facilities room service great hospitality room heater warmth balcony nature tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 March 2016

Those have experiences in other homestay especially at Sikkim can feel the differences. Believe me I know its a remote place and in Tinchuley you can't expect anything like a city hotel, and thats the beauty of the place. A small hamlet with 14-15 families, tea gardens , pine forests, teesta and rangit river view and if your luck permits breathtaking views of Mt. Kanchenjunga .. what else you expect from a place.

The location of the guest house is not at all great .. yes just beside a small road and there is no view of Mt. Kanchenjunga from the guest house. Rooms are very big .. yes really very big even the bath room, very clean , 24*7 hot water available with geyser facility. comfortable bed , room heater available. They have a common terrace and varanda from there you can see the kalimpong city , but remember no snow capped peaks.. the view point is almost 10 minutes walk from the guest house.

Food is good but again not great!! They served organic vegetables, chicken currys, rice, dal, fish fried (not fresh came from Siliguri), ghee from own dairy, roti in night. In breakfast puri, sabzi, or toast. Foods are tasty and less spicy, I have nothing to say about food beacuse I know what you can get in a homestay.

I had experiences to stay in other homestays and compare to those the so called "warmth" of this guest house I feel somehow little artificial. I can't find anybody around in kitchen/dining places beyond lunch and dinner hours and which is also very short period of time. Only morning tea with biscuits and evening tea without biscuits served and the so called "tea" is a stained warm liquid without any taste. I am sorry but I am very disappointed about the tea because , this place is actually surrounded by wonderful tea gardens. No snacks , no momos , nothing .. believe me this is beyond my expectations, Homely atmosphere and Homestay does not mean everything very dull and variety less.

When you stay and enjoy your holidays in a cold place, hot beverages is a must and should come number of times. Remember they are charging Rs. 3K -4K for rooms only , and Rs. 600 per day per head for food.

Over all an average experiences of stay though the place is really beautiful. I had expected more real warmth and hospitality from this guest house.

My suggestions to Mr. Gurung - Please keep tea/coffee makers in rooms ,and please come and talk with your guests , or inform atleast about the menus. A few little changes can make your place fantastic.

Remember homestay is not an out of the world concept and people are paying you with taxes.

Room tip: No snow capped mountain views from any rooms
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Ayanbhattacharya
Reviewed 9 March 2016

Tinchuley is a small village on the way to Kalimpong and Gurung guest house is the best of Tinchuley. Nice location. 5 minutes walking distance from sunrise point. Staffs are very good and homely. Owner Mr. Dipendra Gurung is a nice human being. Fooding is excellent and the service is very good. They can arrange sight seeing around Tinchuley. We loved and relished the entire period of staying here.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2016

We booked four rooms:- 1 super deluxe, 2 deluxe and 1 cottage. These are the only four standards rooms available for this stay.

1. Not only me, nobody others from my group really like the location, why? After so many incredible reviews from Tripadvisor; we expect something great from this home stay like the location which is most important, the food, the bed, the facilities etc. But when we reach there we found something else. Absolutely no mountain view from this resort/stay, just forgot any view from the rooms too, except the super deluxe is a bit better than the lot. We didn’t expect more from Tinchuley as we know this is a small village with 12-15 families. But we have a belief to get a great view of Mt. Kanchengunda from the resort at least. If you want to get this Mt view then need to walk 10 mins from there, which seems difficult for someone with small children in such cold weather. If you could walk around 4-5KM then the view of tea garden is awesome, else than that only a narrow street in front of the stay and that’s all. I couldn’t say more than ** stars in this location.

2. Cleanliness is quite satisfactory and the kitchen is really very clean. But the towels they offered had stains. For cleanliness we could give only *** star.

3. Most of the staffs act to be friendly, but no warm welcome or sendoff as I except or had seen earlier from maximum mountain people. Maximum of the staffs are their family members. In many cases when I ask for some special food like mutton for dinner or simply momo they instantly deny on that. Room service was not up to mark. As there is no intercom facility we need to walk every time to the kitchen/office room for any service. For staff, friendliness, courtesy/behavior, service **.

4. Rooms are ok with proper but limited furnishing. But the bad is the heating facility. Only one small heater is available which could beat the cold. When I ask for another one, they explained about the load capacity. My point is that when you are charging 3.5K-4K(only room charge) for each room provide with enough amenities. Also water greaser and room heating could not work side by side. One needs to put off to put the other on. I couldn’t give more than ** for their room and amenities.

5. Food is at satisfactory level and reasonably priced but seriously nothing great that we could say wow, also comes with very limited items. Breakfast and lunch is homely and less spicy as compared with dinner which is really spicy. As mentioned in the website, children below five are not chargeable but they charged us half the price for children, whereas each child only consume one katori rice/dal for lunch and one roti for dinner. Really not expectable. So for food I could say only **.

Our overall satisfaction level is ** star and never recommended for family or even for solo traveler. If you want off bit destination there are many hotels/stays within few km away from Darjeeling, I will suggest try those.

Room tip: Only opt for Super Deluxe or Deluxe rooms
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Nilanjan S
Reviewed 8 December 2015

great place with great food. hospitality is wonderful too. we had live music at night from the gurung brothers. we travelled as a big group with seniors and kids. everyone enjoyed. food is really really good

Date of stay: July 2015
1  Thank debKolkata_India
Reviewed 25 November 2015

We travelled to Gurung Guest House after staying in Darjeeling for a few days, and we loved it. Dependra Gurung and his family were so welcoming and made us feel comfortable and at home. The traditional food, cooked and served by the family, is absolutely delicious. We enjoyed two days , including a visit to a local tea plantation, an incredible walk and bird-watching in the forest, and the treat of some guitar-playing and singing by the Gurung family! It was a lovely place to stay, and if we ever return to that area, we will be sure to go back again. Thank you.

Date of stay: November 2015