All reviewscoal fireobservatory hillhigh teahot water bottlesstep back in timetea planterscolonial hotelcolonial historycucumber sandwichestime warpevery eveningmanaging directortea roombygone eracolonial timesold world charmindian food
Reviewed 3 December 2011

This hotel is excellent in every way. The staff are efficient and hepful, always smiling, trying to do their best for the guests.Rooms are spacious and very comfortable, with coal fires to keep out the chilly winter weather..
It is a heritage hotel with all the photos and atmosphere of days of another era.
The lounges are chintzy and colourful with coal fires. Afternoon tea is served in the lounge where guests can get to know each other.
The food is plentiful, breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.European and Indian food served.Always a great choice on the menu.
A very nice bar,comfortable a place where you can chat and make friends from all round the world
There is a lovely ambience, friendly and warm.Christmas and New Year is a great time to visit. The garden, and main rooms are all decorated,Christmas tree and entertainment.
Just a fantastic place to be. Suitable for all ages

Room Tip: All rooms are good. The suite rooms are larger and have a sitting area.Ground floor rooms are available if you do not want to climb stairs{no lifts}All rooms have an open fire and arm chairs.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Glamourous056
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I just got back from my first trip to Darjeeling and I am really glad we chose to stay at the Windamere. This is my first review on Tripadvisor, and I felt this is the least I could do for having had such a nice experience at the Windamere.

First, I have to say that I have traveled extensively across 4 continents and stayed at some of the best hotels for business and holiday around the world. And the service at the Windamere was amongst the best I've experienced.

I traveled there with my family (wife and 15 month old son), parents and my brother's family and spent 5 days there this November (2011).
The staff was very attentive and caring. They were very friendly and in fact it didnt feel like we were staying at a hotel. They accommodated many of our special requests for my 16 month old son (specially cooked rice and vegetables; ginger juice for a cold) and were always polite despite numerous requests.

This was definitely not the kind of experience one would expect to have at a 5 star hotel, but it was different. It was a nice English experience and reminiscent of my experience growing up at some air force bases in India, only better.

The food was very good - there were 3 meals a day - with options for English and Indian food for lunch and dinner, and an afternoon tea that included cake and scones. The food and service was so good that we never felt like going to eat anywhere else except the one time when we wanted to try some local food (momos and noodles).

The location is on the top of an area called Observatory Hill. You can't see the Kanchenjunga from there, but otherwise the views are stunning. The dining hall has some pretty spectacular views of snowcapped mountains and deep valleys. I enjoyed looking out of the window at the mountains having my breakfast. It is very close to the Square and a 3-4 minute walk from several shops and some decent restaurants and also a short walk access to some back trails that can take you down into the valley.

The only negative I would say about our experience was that there was no access to a washer and dryer. With a baby staying with us, it was important for us. Since laundry service was a bit expensive, we washed our baby's clothes the staff was kind enough to help us dry the clothes for us.

We will definitely be back some day.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Chiefu
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Lovely old sytle hotel that has been kept spic & span but yet retains it's former glory colonial days style.
Rooms are big & come with a fire that they lit each night for us along with a hot water bottle ! Just to make sure we didn't get cold.
Restaurant served a few courses, one western & one India & you can have both (we all did). Food was good !
Views from hotel are good & the location is great. Liked the hotel very much. The staff were also very pleasant & helpful.
A good stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Miss_Mollys_Dad
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed at the Windamere for 2 nights last month - real old colonial service, with good food, toasty coal fire in our room, hot water bottles and "bed tea" in the morning. As we were there over Divali, some singing and dancing was provided. Unfortunately the recent earthquake has put the building containing the lounge and bar out of use, but drinks were served on the terrace.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank curiouscat74
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Did not stay but looking round found it very 1930's England, group of bungalows with character furniture. But did have 'high tea', served from 4pm each day in one of the sitting rooms. Beautifully presented small sandwiches, shortbread, cake and scones with jam and cream and, of course, excellent tea and all served with a smile. The ONLY place to take tea in Darjeeling and a blazing fire as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo