The hotel is a reasonable distance from the airport in a reasonably quiet area. The hotel looks newish but is rather basic and describes itself as an Eco-friendly hotel which may be an excuse to remove luxuries!
Initially allocated a room on the second floor which was adequate in size but rather basic. It was an interconnected room and the walls must be paper thin as I was party to various telephone calls which for their clarity might as well been done in my room. After 2.5 hours of continuos calls I cracked and requested a change of room. This was accommodated without fuss and I got a similar but corner room on the first floor. The room has a queen size bed, (didn't look a kingsize), desk, chair, stool and table. Usual minibar and complimentary bottled water. The bathroom is small with no bath tub but a shower type wet area. Small wardrobe and limited drawer space. Flat screen tv with a reasonable range of English channels. Although this room was 4 floors above the night club you did get the throbbing through the walls and floor.
There is a swimming pool on the top floor which is adjacent to restaurant. The pool is small and there is no meaningful changing room, a few lockers in the toilets and a shower and seems to have been an after thought as 2 people in there and its full. The pool closes at 6.30 pm as the terrace becomes part of the restaurant. The terrace has views over Chennai but there is not much to see day or night.
The Chinese restaurant was ok with a reasonable choice of menu. There is also another restaurant on the rooftop but it has no cover and is very humid. Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the lobby floor which was rather basic the food choice was poor with some fruits, cheese and pastries. There is a buffet selection but it is limited. Staff are all over you from the moment that you step in to the time you leave and it becomes too much at least for me. In my view such a level of attentiveness is just not required and does make the stay anymore pleasant.
The staff were very courteous and tried to be efficient but there are times that requests get lost in translation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Five star hotel with 108 state-of-art rooms including 2 suites, swimming pool, gym and health spa. The best "Eco friendly" hotel in South India. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, MakeMyTrip, Hotels.com, ClearTrip, Agoda, Yatra, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and TravelGuru so you can book your The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary`s Hotel Chennai (Madras)
- Rain Tree Hotel
- The Rain Tree Hotel Chennai