“So serene”

Kapaleeshwar Temple
Book In Advance
US$ 51.00*
and up
Private Day Tour: Chennai City Tour of Museum, Art Gallery, Temple Kalakshetra...
US$ 55.00*
and up
Private Chennai Tour: San Thome Church, Kapaleeshwar Temple, Marina Beach and...
US$ 55.00*
Private Half-Day Tour in Chennai - India's Gateway to the South
Ranked #1 of 384 things to do in Chennai
More attraction details
Owner description: This ancient shrine to Shiva is centrally located and among the area’s most popular landmarks.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We didn't stay for long but the temple was beautiful, you really do have to see it to believe it. I still don't know how this was created. A beautiful place to wander round, watch people praying and take lots of photos - you certainly don't get temples like this in the UK!

1  Thank Nath_Jo

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The atomosphere, the priests , the divine energy , the wonderfull Temple tank , cleanliness . Come and visit this temple during this Panguni Bramotsvam [Annual Festival between 28th March to 6th April .

2  Thank venkatasubramanian
Reviewed 25 March 2012

placed at one of the old areas of chennai, mylapore, next to a big pond of the temple, the kapaleshwara temple is one of the very devine temples for me. best time to visit would be evening when it is lit up. and breeze little cooler. sorrounded by several shops selling pooja items, handicrafts, and souveniers which you may want to take back home. some good hotels around. the aroma of the vibhuti they give will take you to a trance. a must visit temple.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I visited this place with my partner in one of the tours (Story Trails). The temple is a very old one (a couple of hundred years, atleast) but well maintained. Every god in the temple has a interesting story. It is these stories that allow you to understand the heritage, history of the locals. I recommend that you get someone who can read the stories engraved on the walls, this would add to the whole experience..

Also, for those of you who are photogaphy buffs.. this place is a joy..

This place is a must visit if you want to learn more about the local culture..

2  Thank R0N0S
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have been living in and around Mylapore for more than 33 years, ie., from my 5th standard onwards and I am 42 years today. This place has given me everything. One of the most interesting places for me is Sri Kapaleeswarar temple, because when we moved into Chennai from our native Thanjavur, this was the only place where we frequented most often. Today I have grown with this temple and I owe all of my growth to this spectacular temple. My children love this place, especially the cows and calf there. The moment they enter the temple they immediately go to that shed. What a place to spend, especially when you are under enormous stress. It is my stress buster!!!

3  Thank ON S