We spent two nights at the Taj Connemara as part of a tour of South India with Saga. We got there about 1230 and had a cold welcome drink before making our way to room 301.
It was a very big room with twin beds, a sofa and an armchair, an office desk with chair, a ceiling fan, a large flat screen television with a good picture, ample wardrobe space, a safe, room shoes and dressing gowns, a view that wasn't up to much, an ironing board with iron which had one pin sheared off so didn't work. The bathroom had a bath and fixed shower but was good and lots of toiletries. There was a toilet and bidet. The bathroom had a strange smell we couldn't identify and the bedroom smelled of cigarette smoke. We later discovered we were on a smoking floor so all the rooms were the same. I did say to reception that using one of the very effective oil burners they seem to have all over the public places in the hotel would soon make the room smell better but that seemed to fall on deaf ears.
The food was very good at the Connemara with a bountiful buffet for both breakfast and dinner.
We did take a walk in the surrounding area and it is not for the faint hearted. The pavements are in a terrible state and there are beggars in abundance. There is a shopping centre next door with bargains to be had if shopping is your thing.
There was a lot of noise outside at night, which sounded like drilling and digging equipment but we couldn’t see it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai is the city's only heritage hotel, built in 1854 as the Imperial Hotel, renamed Albany in 1886, finally re-established as The Connemara in 1890. It was an Art Deco look that the Connemara sported when it ‘reopened’ in 1937. And the legendary architect Geoffrey Bawa added his touch to the tower block and linking pool in 1974. Today it is infused with the spirited style of Vivanta by Taj. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Indian Hotels Company Limited, TravelGuru and Expedia so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Connemara, Chennai Hotel Chennai (Madras)
- Hotel Taj Connemara Chennai