“Work in the lap of luxury”
Review of Trident, Chennai

Trident, Chennai
Ranked #9 of 415 Hotels in Chennai
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Great hospitality. Great food. Very good people to take care of you.
View isn't all that, and the location is kinda isolated to experience Chennai, but really close to the air-port and helps me take the morning flight.

Room Tip: The same view from almost all rooms. Just three floors. Pretty quite anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I would share your feedback with my team.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

If you want a cozy place to be in Chennai away from pomp and show this is the right place to stay in. The staff is very friendly and would help as ever. The location is awesome and only 5-7 mins drive from the airport. The bar looks simple but never late to catch a beer. Getting in and out is cumbersome but once you are in it makes up for all the hassle.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your appreciation on our hotel and staff. I would share your feedback with my team.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Though the property is old but well maintained, Location wise an added advantage just closer to airport. Rooms are bit smaller in size. Definitely a place to unwind in swimming-pool (4 to 8 feet depth) which is much more connected to nature and an atmosphere to relax.

A Cup of Cappuccino at Cinnamon (All Day Dining) is tastier as expected, staffs are friendlier but needs an improvement in service wise.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your appreciation on our hotel and would share your feedback with my team.

Your feedback on service was of great concern to me. I have addressed with the team with due seriousness. I assure you that you will see a positive change on your next visit.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

One of the biggest advantage of the hotel is that it is very close to airport. So if you are travelling for some meeting or other business purpose it would be an ideal place to stay because reaching the airport would not be a pain. Its not a very big property but clean and well maintained. The stay is helpful. Even at odd hours they would be available for service.
It may seem little over-priced but then you save on travel to and from airport.
Happy travelling!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your appreciation on our hotel and would share your feedback with my team.
Should you require any assistance, please write to me on amit.khare@tridenthotels.com. We look forward to welcome you back to Trident, Chennai.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have previously happily stayed at this Trident over the past 4-5 years while on business trips to Chennai due to the relatively close location to the DLF IT park. I was ripped off in late 2011 on my last "stay" at this hotel by a supposed late cancellation charge that Trident was unresponsive to resolving.

This is a mixed review because the property is actually decent - and in the spirit of the Tripadvisor community - I'll provide a balanced review despite my current dissatisfaction:

THE GOOD: I recommend it as a very good hotel - I like it because it is a well-kept property with a reasonable attentive level of service (i.e. from an American viewpoint, I can actually walk in after a few days and not have staff falling all over me to carry my bags). Note that in my experience 99.9% of hotels in India regardless of class are prone to mold issues typically in the ventilation system - varies room by room at this Trident (however is easily fixed by carrying a spray can of Lysol - I bring one on all my trips to India). The hotel has an excellent (and under utilized) workout facility, spa, and saunda facilities. The pool is clean, in the sun however a minus is the overhead jet noise from the airport next door.

THE NEUTRAL: The restaurant is ok for breakfast - the usual variety of Indian selections, plus eggs, etc. - nothing over the top but is consistent - anything gets repetitive after the first week. I don't strongly recommend the restaurant for dinner (the buffet), as it is an Indian interpretation of Italian that doesn't hit the mark . I haven't tried the seafood restaurant - instead I head next door (past gas/petrol station) to the Ramada that has a much nicer restaurant and one of the better brunch buffets in Chennai. Room service menu selection is decent and responsive when needed. Rooms are not carpeted - which is nice since it takes away a potential mold source but can be a bit creaky if you are traveling with a companion.

THE CONS: This hotel is across the street from the Chennai airport, so you will hear jets throughout the day - ask for a room facing the pool - lower is better - avoid any rooms that face the GST roadway. The location is only good for limited circumstances - if you are doing business closer to central Chennai this hotel is probably not located optimally for you.

THE UGLY AND UNETHICAL: After multiple business trips to this hotel - all satisfactory stays, I was charged a cancellation fee for a room despite having cancelled the room within the period of our corporate contract. The charge appeared several weeks after my supposed stay, and hit my credit card after I had already submitted my expenses (not that our company covers room cancellations due to ongoing "cost containtment"...).

After many, many attempts to reach the hotel (including during subsequent trips to India, i.e. calling during normal business hours), I got several runarounds and non-answers. I did talk to a nice lady once that acknowledged that in fact the cancellation "appeared" to be within our companies negotiated corporate policy terms (I have the cancellation email as proof), however the infamous "Accounting Department" was never available for a discussion nor feedback via emails. To my error, I missed the window for disputing this charge on our corporate credit card - so I lost the helpful leverage of American Express to get the attention of Trident).

THE RESULT: Is the loss of a Trident loyalty member and business customer who makes a couple of trips to Chennai per year (and influences many colleagues in their arrangements while visiting Chennai) - thereby resulting in the loss of my personal recommendation for not only this hotel, but the entire Trident chain (apparently is consolidated accounting, so this appears to be their accepted corporate practice, along with blatently ignoring customer complaints once they have left the property). Too bad, as it is a nice property and I'd stay there again, but I can't in good conscience spend any further of my company's money here - especially since it was out of my own wallet and nobody enjoys being blatently ripped off.

BEWARE!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool - lower is better - avoid any rooms that face the GST roadway.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business