“Excellent food and questionable ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Burgundy's
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Indian, Chinese, European, Asian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Burgundy's is a creation of VipinSachdev& Chef Willi where we offer a wide spread of World Cuisines. Situated in the swanky residential area of MRC Nagar, at Somerset luxury serviced apartments, the restaurant caters to various clienteles from families, corporates, couples and children. We offer a variety of seating options and dining sections to choose from, including outdoor seating, which is very popular in the evenings when the wafting sea breeze and star lit skies transport you to an ethereal culinary utopia away from the hustle and bustle of Chennai. Chef Chandra, Head Chef Burgundy's, prides himself on serving impeccably presented food without compromising on taste. The dishes offered are based on a selection of Mediterranean, European and Indian classics along with Pan Asian specialties. Burgundy's offers an Al-a-Carte selection on Monday and Tuesday, while the rest of the week, from Wednesday to Sunday, is a buffet concept for lunch and dinner. The Burgundy's team extends a warm welcome to you and we hope you give us the honor of unleashing your taste buds while we delightfully serve you.
Chennai
“Excellent food and questionable ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had been waiting to have a meal at Burgundy for very long. The reviews were fantastic and the word of mouth publicity was astounding. We were there recently for an impromptu dinner and found the restaurant looking simply fabulous. It is nestled between a couple of highrises and sits at the centre of a fairly large open area with abundant parking space all around it.
The restaurant itself has very chic European interiors, walls tastefully decorated with wine bottles and confectionery items. The waiters are very polite but were quite difficult to get hold of owing to the saturday night crowds. The buffet spread is not located at the centre of the restaurant but at one end which makes it a little difficult to reach if you are sitting close to the pub.
The questionable ambience bit was due to our being seated close to the pub. The pub as well as the restaurant share a common restroom and whenever someone from the pub opened the door to get to the restrooms (which was happening on an average every 5-6 minutes), there would be this sudden explosion of trance which got quite irritating after a while. The restaurant noise levels were quite high inspite of there being a good distance between tables.
The food was truly unbelievable. Everything we ate was just phenomenal, even the wood-fired pizza slice with the chef's hair in it. There is no compromise on taste and that clearly shows. The spread is impressive with dishes from all over the country and the world. There was sambar, rasam and rice alongside cold cuts of beef and marinated baby octopus salad. The restaurant also offers you a-la-carte options but I would definitely suggest the buffet as it is cost-effective and a must-try.
The buffet cost Rs. 985/- (taxes included) and the dishes in the a-la-carte menu were upwards of 400-500. I had a great time when I went there last and I'm waiting to repeat te experience (minus the hair in the pizza and the nerve-wracking trance forced upon me ofcourse).

3 Thank Sunil R
Dear Sunil,

I am glad reading your experience & am sad that there was a deficiency in the Pizza. While every care is taken to avoid any mishaps through continual training in soft skills & technical skills this instance has occurred which is not acceptable to me as a owner. I will take corrective action & can assure you that this rare occurrence will become rarest of the rare.

I truly cannot do anything about the music from The Bar, hence will not like to give you any false promises. It is clearly a design defect, thanks to the foolishness of the architect & myself. This error along with a few others are in my mind & I am sure i will not make such planning & construction errors in any of our future F&B projects.

I am grateful to you for your visit & look forward to our continued visits.

I will like you to contact me on 98410 22622 or on vipin@tuscanakryptos.in that i can go a step ahead that apologizing to you for this experience.

Vipin Sachdev.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Chennai, India
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012 via mobile

Loved every bit of the place, food etc... Great ambience ,service,food,beerand awesome desserts.

Hi,
We love you for loving our Burgundy's.
Thank you very much for your visit & feedback.
Cheers.
Vipin Sachdev
india
“Jack of all trades, surprisingly, master of a few, yes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

South Chennai definitely needs Burgundy, no question about that. Where else can one go if the thought of sumptuous food in a chilled-out ambience, combined with a relaxed mug of chilled beer comes to mind?
With open spaces becoming a luxury in Chennai, this place starts to calm your nerves the moment you park your car - landscaped greenery with a children's play area in the corner set in plush lawns with a walking path to the door of the restaurant, certainly goes a long way in creating a good first impression.
Open sesame to a huge hall with a glass partition, set with comfortable combinations of tables. The trick to this overwhelming feel of open-ness comes from the fact that all the walls are glass, sort of like bringing the outside ambience partly inside with the inside having its own character.
The buffet is HUGE. I needed to spend ten minutes walking around and then sitting at my table deciding what I would eat. Having done that, I ventured bravely into the different sections - salads, curries, south indian, meats, etc. and managed to fill my plate. Everything was nicely presented and tasted good. By now I was getting so used to the ambience and the spread that I forgot it was not fine dining.
I chose to go from one cuisine to another and as it was not physically possible to eat all, I was restricted to trying out a couple of available options in each; that was a mistake because I ended up finding flaws in the food - while the dressings, sauces were awesome in the salads, I noticed that I had to ask for olives and a few other things which were not part of the salads. There I was crossing the fine line into fine dining.
The curries were awesome; and a nice touch was the chef cooking up a tasty tiny dish and placing it in cups among the curries.
Maybe I should have requested for a pizza slice of my choice instead of just opting for a 'veg' pizza when I was asked to choose between veg or non-veg. That would have also made me do less work on the table, ordering a few toppings of my choice and trying to create my own pizza! Maybe the person who took my pizza order could have said, any pizza is available. Hmmm... whatever, I enjoyed the meal.
What seals the deal in the buffet is the inclusion of a few usually-missed-but-important items like Curd Rice! Chennaites swear by their curd rice, so including it was a good move.
Desserts have always been oh, so gooood, at all of their restaurants, and Burgundy is no exception. Or I should say here that desserts have been given their due place here. The dark chocolate amaretto was so overwhelmingly dark-chocolatey and magical that I definitely need to come here on my own dessert-buffet trip.
Last but not the least... the price of the buffet at Burgundy's. There has been many a mention about this everytime Burgundy's comes up in any discussion. Yes, the price does pull it down from being a 'wow' factor. But you begin to have second thoughts on not saying 'wow' when you try to pinpoint what was wrong with the place.
I personally wouldnt hesitate to go there, again, and yet again... its one of those restaurants. But maybe I wouldn't like to look at the bill for more than the time I sign for it, unless there is a mug of beer or a glass of wine that comes complimentary with the buffet... get the picture?

Hi,
Your detailed feedback is interesting reading. I am glad that on the whole you have loved the food except for the value. I can assure you that among all the 5 star restaurants in Chennai we are the lowest in pricing & all our prices are including the 14.5% VAT. We also do not levy any service charges.
Since last week we do have draft beer on offer during lunch between Mon to Sat for Rs 50 only for the first pint.
I am grateful to you for your visit & trust you will continue to be visiting Burgundy's regularly.
Vipin Sachdev
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Lovely Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This place in MRC Nagar was a lovely surprise to us. We liked the food and completely loved the peaceful ambiance.

Also, the Bar (B Bar) attached to this place is nice. We visit this place at least once or twice in a week now.

One of the best places to Dine and Party in Chennai.

Dear Ajay & Krithika,
I am feeling great to know that you visit our Burgundy's & The Bar at least twice a week. Thank you very much for your feedback & being our brand ambassadors. I am grateful for your business & look forward to meeting up with you some time soon in Burgundy's & The B Bar.
Cheers.
Vipin Sachdev.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Excellent food with excellent service...!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Awesome ambience, cool place to enjoy with friends and spouse...! Had a great experience with my friends, foods r so gud n tasteful...! hmmm still I have a taste in my tongue..! definetly refer my friends and colleagues to go once...! Wat a atmosphere....! Just try it...! Ideal for hang out with friends...!

Dear Vinoth,
Thank you for your feedback on your lovely experience at Burgundy's.
I request that you spread the Burgundy's brand around among all you know.
I look forward to your continued visits & thank you for your business.
Vipin.