“Glittering and Comfortable Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Chennai
Ranked #28 of 398 Hotels in Chennai
Potomac, MD
“Glittering and Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed at this recently-opened hotel in early Feb 2012. This is a very classy modern-style hotel in a good area of Chennai. The rooms are quite large compared to most other 5 star hotels in Chennai. Polished marble floors in the rooms and minimal cloth draperies help keep any mildew odor problems away. Very confortable bedding, huge shower, spacious worktable with plentiful universal electrical receptacles make living and working in the rooms easy. The rooms may feel even larger due to the unique moving walls/doors between the bath area and the room. That might make sharing the room with someone other than a spouse slightly more challenging though, but a motorized privacy screen makes this easier. on the pass-thru vanity. I liked this style of room.
Two of the restaurants are excellent: The Spice Market is the 24 hr restaurant with mostly Indian cuisine. The dinner buffet is sumptuous and the dessert selection indicate a European-trained chef. The Foccacia is an Italian cuisine restaurant with a slightly limited menu of entries, but excellent quality food. Service is very good. The Stix is a Chinese and SE Asian cuisine restaurant, but I was quite disappointed with the quality of the food, although the service was very good (do not order pork meat dishes). It has an open kitchen in the center of the restaurant that is entertaining to watch the chefs cook your food.
The pool area is very inviting and clean and comfortable. There are shade arbors for the hotter times of the day and a smaller shallow pool suitable for younger children (but will require parent supervision). There is also a really nice fitness center overlooking the pool with large glass windows and modern exercise equipment. This is so much nicer than underground fitness centers in some of the other hotels.
The overall service at this hotel is comparable to the Taj properties (very attentive) and efficient. I will definitely stay at this hotel again when I visit Chennai. Such a welcome addition to the city.

Room Tip: higher level rooms (6 and above facing north can see the Bay of Bengal)
1 Thank billgo
HyattRegencyChennai, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to give us your invaluable feedback. Your reviews help us not only serve you better but also enriches our confidence to work harder. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Sunjae Sharma
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bangalore
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel as I couldn't find the room in my favorite Starwood hotel.

The hotel is good and is at a convenient location but takes about 45mins to the Airport. The lobby is at the 4th floor as the below floors have some shops etc I guess (though I did not venture into them. When you reach hotel, its a little confusing but once you reach the hotel lobby, its good. The check-in counters are not very elaborate but you're attended ASAP. I was attended by the staff politely but they were too reserved. I asked for enrolling me into the membership program as I'm a frequent traveller but inspite of asking few times, I was told that it will be done sir but never got done. Anyway, so the Lobby floor has all the restaurants and I got the room at 5th floor. The attendant dropped me to the room and the room was good if not very good. The room size was appropriate and the bed and bath was clean and tidy (as expected). In the room you get a decent bed, a couch, a study table and a bath with a tub.

For the dinner they had 3 options, One Italian, One Indian (Buffet) and One more (I forgot). So I thought of doing the dinner at the Italian place but when I visited at around 9pm, it was almost empty on a weekday :(( so I skipped it and went into the Indian/Mix Buffet restaurant. When I entered the restaurant there was no one to take me and show me the table but soon one person appeared and showed me the table. The buffet place is huge but looks very crowded 'coz of the layout. Now for the buffet I expected it like a "Buffet" but as soon as I went to the first counter, I realised something is wrong .. The restaurant has a funny way of hosting the guests and they serve you the dishes you want at the counters instead of allowing you to serve yourselves which was strange for a buffet restaurant. So at every counter you see long queues and to me it felt too cheap to ask for the servings.. awkk
Every counter from snacks to main course to breads to desserts had the same protocol which pissed me off totally and left a bad taste. Otherwise the food quality and taste was good, but the experience was tooooo bad for a five star restaurant.

I have stayed at many Hyatt's earlier and never saw this kind of protocol followed at the dinner. Anyway I guess there must be a reason for it but it didn't impress me.

Rest of the stay was comfortable.

1 Thank travelfreakk
HyattRegencyChennai, Director of Food and Beverage at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback. We value your review on our hotel and the services offered. Our loyalty program is called the Gold Passport and we truly appreciate your interest in enrollment. It is unfortunate that the information pertaining to the same was not shared with you. Please let me know if I could share the relevant information via email or perhaps, during your next visit to one of our properties we could take you through the details in person. Nevertheless my contact details are mentioned below in case I could be of assistance.

We are also very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at the restaurant. Please be assured that our restaurant layout and service standards have been evolved keeping your utmost comfort in mind. The restaurant you refer to here is called Spice Market and it has five live kitchens. The spread of the kitchens and the protocol thereof is part of the highly interactive culinary experience. Ideally the non-live counters like the Stove kitchen (serving curries, flavoured rice’s etc.), the Dessert island or the salad bar do have an easy-to-pick buffet style layout. It is the live kitchens viz. the Tandoor, Chaat and Beverage island which require more personalisation in order to serve a dish/ beverage without compromising the flavours/ freshness involved. Our servers do man these counters to coordinate, communicate and/ assist in any manner possible to ease your dining experience. In case this has in any way caused discomfort or inconvenienced you, as the matter stands, we sincerely apologise for the same.

I hope you will offer us the chance to welcome you again and better understand your needs. This will help us customise our services for a more satisfying stay experience.

David Simon
Hermanus, South Africa
Reviewed 3 February 2012

our group of 60 arrived at 11h00 at night, clients were exhausted from a long travelling day and just wanted to shower and relax. check-in was mayhem, it took about 2 hours to have us checked in, suitcases were taken to wrong rooms, one person only received his luggage back at 2h30! the staff is very friendly and helpfull, but training is lacking. for a group this size there should clearly be a duty manager assisting?

1 Thank Charmaine B
HyattRegencyChennai, Director Of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for taking out the time to share your feedback with us. We apologise for the unfortunate experience you had during your visit. Please be assured that at Hyatt Regency Chennai we strongly believe in hospitality that is truly genuine and that stems from our strong service standards. Any aberration to that brand belief is not tolerated. We have investigated this incident fully and the departments concerned have been intimated. We assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that there is no repetition of a similar incident. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hyatt Regency Chennai.

Vishal Sapra
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel straight after our wedding reception. We arrived at the hotel one o'clock in the morning with a wedding party of over 50!!!! We greeted with a bocay of flowers and also a lovely cake which our wedding party finished in no time.

On the room and the stay, plus points amazing rooms and space, we also spent close to a week at this hotel and recived excellent service from the staff. Restaurants were amazing and catered to our demands. At one poing we did not have a reservation at the italian restaurants but the manager arranged us a table at the bar next to it.

Negatives, the open reception is a problem not only in terms of feeling insucure as the rooms are easily accesable from the reception but also can get noisy. We stayed during new years eve and noticed the hotel struggled with security. Also the taxis are very expensive, the hotel outsources it to another company which charge an arm and a leg.

Overall had a fantastic stay at the Hyatt and a great start to our marriage.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AdnanMir
Mumbai
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I have always struggled to get a good hotel in Chennai. Tried Park, found it pathetic. Taj was not that great either. So everytime I go to Chennai, the hunt for a new place is on. Thankfully I got a good answer in Chennai. Hyatt Regency.
The hotel is great in every aspect. Loved the location, you are out and everything you need is within 20 mins radius. If you have experienced Chennai traffic, then you know how important it is to have everything you need near to the hotel.
Now something regarding the hotel...the lobby is huge. So is the choice of restaurants that you get there. The rooms are exptremelly modern and very stylishly done. The size of the room I stayed was also huge. I am from Mumbai & in Mumbai space comes at a premium, so naturally I tend to appreciate bigger spaces. So, I just loved the room size.
Breakfast spread was even bigger than the room (if that can be a comparison) & extremelly tastey breakfast. Service lived up to the reputation of the name. The only problem with this hotel is, even smallest of the noise in the lobby can filter into your room. Except this, everything about this hotel is just perfect.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business