“Great rest from hectic inner-India flight connections” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Chennai

Hilton Chennai
Ranked #8 of 383 Hotels in Chennai
Racine, Wisconsin
“Great rest from hectic inner-India flight connections”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

The Hilton Chennai was just what I needed for one night's rest from a long, complicated solo business trip journey. The hotel is 15 minutes from the airport so only a short taxi ride away. The rooms were clean, modern, and quiet. My husband is a Diamond member so he was able to get me upgraded to the club level without a lot of fuss. The club afternoon tea was lovely, and the happy hour spread was fantastic. They served great Indian food with friendly service that was attentive but not overly so. The real plus of this hotel, however, was the rooftop terrace, bar and pool. Wow! What a view! I was up there for a magnificent sunset and heard evening prayers nearby. It gave me a wonderful appreciation for the full beauty and magnificence of India. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I can't vouch for the area as my goal was rest one night befor a 5 AM flight the next day. Mission accomplished!

11 Thank Trinamouse
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear Trinamouse,

My team and I are delighted that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us.

Thank you for sharing your impressions and feedback of the hotel, our service and Executive Lounge. It is very nice to know that even though you were only with us for a short time, our food and rooftop terrace were the highlights of your stay. We certainly agree that it is a great vantage point from which to experience a glimpse of India's sights and sounds.

We truly appreciate your recommendation of the hotel and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Roger Brantsma
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I was given an upgrade to the executive room so that I would be on the same level as my parents. A very kind move on their part. However service was always without a smile. I was there for 6 days. Breakfast was good with a pretty good selection. However one incident had made me upset and I probably would not stay there again because of this. I was having an afternoon nap and I guess they may have rung the doorbell. I am not sure. I was rudely woken up when the door was opened. Imagine, a lady sleeping and someone barged their way in. I yelled and whoever it was closed the door and disappeared. I quickly went to see who it was but there was no be in the hallway. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel with good security this lapse in security in my opinion is totally unforgivable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kdsg1979
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear kdsg1979,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and service shortfall you experienced during your stay. I wish to assure you that at Hilton Chennai, the safety and well-being of all our guests are very important priorities and I have personally looked into your case.

During the day, my team have a range of daily tasks to perform in addition to room cleaning that involves entering the guest rooms, among which are the replenishment of the minibar and replacement of fresh fruits. We encourage our guests to switch on the Do Not Disturb light or use the door hanger at any time they wish to have privacy. Your valuable feedback will certainly be used to ensure that my team continue to uphold the high level of warm and hospitable service expected of us.

While I am pleased to note that you were happy with your room upgrade and our breakfast buffet, it is unfortunate that this incident and our service marred what could have been a pleasant stay experience.

Thank you for staying with us and although you have indicated otherwise, we hope for an opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and this one is up there with the best. Food is excellent and varied in the different restaurants, rooms are spacious and well equipped, pool and leisure facilities are excellent and the staff can't do enough for you without being intrusive.

There may be other hotels of this standard in Chennai but I would certainly recommend this one to friends and colleagues and certainly stay again on a business trip or for leisure.

One thing the spa/leisure facilities could benefit from would be treatments/massage, I didn't see that offered.

Room Tip: I was in room 729 which faces the front of the hotel and I couldn't hear any external noise what...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear a1taff,

It is a great pleasure for my team and I to receive your delightful review of Hilton Chennai.

We are very grateful that your good stay experience with us leads you to recommend us to your friends and colleagues. Our spa facility is still currently a work in progress and we look forward to its imminent completion for opening in the near future.

Thank you for your compliments and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Karur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

guest rooms are excelent...may be due to its locality i has lot of mosquitos in the lobby..reception...the 10th floor bar with pool has very nice arrangements....near to airport...but for this price there are so many choice of hotels to choose from in chennai...any how nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SenthilSelvaa
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear SenthilSelvaa,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Chennai, we are delighted that you enjoyed a pleasant stay with us.

I am sorry to learn that the mosquitos were an issue during your stay. We do our best to minimise this through our daily fogging schedule of the hotel's premises and regular pest control measures. However, we are glad that you were happy with our rooms and facilities.

We really appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I'm a Diamond member with Hilton, and will not be returning to this Hilton Hotel. During my visit, so far my shower flooded the bathroom, twice. The hairdryer blew the circuit in my room and the lights went out. This required someone on a ladder to come and get into the ceiling fix the problem. I'm currently sitting in my room on a Friday night at 11:30PM, and the music on the rooftop is so loud than the walls are shaking. I rang down, and they told me the music would be going until 3AM (I'm working tomorrow). The manager was supposed to call me back, no return call.

I've stayed at this hotel before, and on my last visit my co-worker ate the soup from the Vasco restaurant and was ill with food poisoning for two days. The hairdryer blew the circuit on that trip as well.

The hotel is not marketing itself to the business traveler. They are clearly more concerned with the local party scene on the roof top on the weekends.

I've stayed at may Chennai Hotels (Taj Club House, The Park, Le Royal Meridian, Sheraton) and this hotel ranks with the worst. Next trip I'm going to try the new Hyatt. I ate there, and at least i didn't get sick!

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the 9th floor if you're staying on a Friday or Saturday night. Even if...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GMHiltonChennai, General Manager at Hilton Chennai, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Chris S,

We sincerely regret the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us.

I am pleased that you have already been in contact with our Front Office Manager and that your points have been thoroughly discussed with the team.

With regards to the hotel, please allow us to clarify that the Hilton Chennai is indeed a business hotel offering a wide range of services and facilities for business travellers, who are a substantial part of the hotel's clientele. At the same time, our offerings cater to the frequent local and leisure customers.

We understand that when we do have the occasional evening or weekend event as we did last Friday, the music can be heard in some of the guest rooms. I can assure you that we are currently reviewing the volume levels from the rooftop bar and are looking at installing a better insulation and sound system to effectively minimise the intrusion on the privacy of our in-house guests. Your feedback on this matter, which we truly appreciate, helps us in this respect. My team and I are also committed to providing the best personalised service and stay experience for our guests.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Whilst you have indicated otherwise, we hope you will grant us an opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a true and warm experience with Hilton Chennai.