1,374 results
All reviewsmediterranean restaurantspencer plazarooftop poolbusiness hotelexpress mallvalue for moneythe heart of the cityin room diningtop floorcoffee shopbusiness tripanna salaiduty managerexcellent hotelwelcome drinkroom servicebuffet breakfast
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Instead of staying at Taj Connemara like always, I had to stay one night here because the former was full. And I was lucky to get a double upgrade to an executive suite. The suite is a real luxury experience and amazingly groomed staff - exactly what you expect from a Taj hotel. And I dont know why, but among all the hotel stays in last 2 years, I had the best sleep here.
The services are prompt and the amenities in the room just match the quality of the hotel. Just the perfect stay, though one night is too small to make a judgement, I would prefer to stay here over Sheraton Park or Le Meridien for the same prices.

Room Tip: Try to roof top Mediterranean restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Firstly the location of the hotel is great, at the intersection of 2 main arteries of Chennai. The EA mall (which I'm told is the biggest in South India) is a short stroll away. We booked a Club room. It was satisfactory, bathroom on the smaller side. Though there is a Club lounge, it does not particularly ofeer best of all facilities. I complained about the lack of services available for Club rooms to the GM who resolved our deficiencies immediately.
The service is impeccable, from the moment you walk in to be greeted with smiles and a warm welcome from the security team at the entrance each time, to front office team and the theme carries on to the restaurant teams.
We had the opportunity to try all 3 restaurants at the hotel. The main restaurant serves good breakfast, ample choice of indian and continental dishes. Even had dosa for lunch which I thought was authentic. One of the waiters at the restaurant (forgot his name) could not have been more helpful, courteous or attentive.
The lobby bar, Blend has good choice of cocktails. But the roof top bar is something else. Really nice setting. The mediterranean restaurant has outdoor seating at the roof top which makes a very pleasant dining experience. I was a little dubious to try mediterranean restaurant in India but I was pleasantly surprised with the dishes/food. Comparable if not better than some of the restaurants we have dined at the mediterranean!
We also tried the North Indian restaurant at the hotel. Food was exceptional and the service was faultless that we left a hefty tip. The waiters could not have done more to ensure you had an enjoyable meal. We were given a brief demonstration of roti making. Chef also came over to introduce himself and share his tips for one of the best dhal we've had, which is a house speciality.
Vijay at the Concierge is very efficient and looked after our every need.
Overall, very good stay, some really professional and service orientated staff members who made our stay a pleasant and memorable one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alfieswlondon
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The positives: nice property, has the "Taj look" and feel right at the lobby, good service too. Food at the restaurant was great - the large cafe on the ground floor as well as Kefi on the roof. The room was cozy, well appointed with Toto appliances in the bathroom. The price was I think a bit lower than some others like Raintree, which is great for the property. I did not find it dated or in need of a renovation. Overall, I liked it a lot.

The negatives: location is not great: although close to Spencer Plaza, you better know how to navigate across to that mall, which in itself is underwhelming. There are almost no retail or F&B nearby, and though the Express Avenue mall is close enough, I don't know if there is a direct shortcut to it (it's backside is near the hotel). The two throw-pillows on the bed were so disgustingly stained I threw them on the floor - I should have complained. The other point i have is that, as soon as i stepped into the corridor, the lovely smell of the incense diffuser was combated by mustiness. This made my sleep a little unpleasant. (Apparently all the Chennai hotels I have visited in the past month - four in all - have air-conditioning issues.)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mustihaveone
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I am a bit surprised by all the positive reviews. The rooms are ok but getting a bit old, the main areas are also a bit dated, the breakfast menu South Indian dishes were great but the freshly cut fruit did not look that fresh and the display a bit old. Yes the service was friendly but so it is in much of Chennai. I was definitely not impressed by this Taj hotel.

One thing that is really great and applies to most Taj hotels, is that their toiletries clearly state 'Against Animal Testing'.

Thankfully they also do not keep dogs at the entrance that are supposed to sniff the cars. I find this new trend in India (and in many other places in Asia) whereby dogs are led around incoming cars supposedly to smell out bombs, highly objectionable. Many of these dogs are working 12 hours at a stretch, can not drink water when they feel like it and most are clearly kept poorly (dirty ears, over-grown nails, bad teeth). Apart from this maltreatment, I really wonder whether these dogs could smell a bomb as most look exhausted and utterly bored.
Anyway, it is good to see that most Taj hotels do not follow this trend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2012

One of the best hotels for its price. I loved it here. Much cheaper than raintree, park and other hotels in that tariff range but way better than them in every way. its hidden away inside a lane but so close to the hustle and bustle of the city. Walking distance to spencers palza ( which no one goes to now because its an old mall) but 2 mins in auto to express avenue which is an awesome place. loved the hotel it has an awesome rooftop bar and restaurant which shouldn't be missed. Customer service was amazing so was the checking in and checking out was like walking in and out of your our house. Wont stay anywhere else next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends