1,379 results
All reviewsmediterranean restaurantspencer plazarooftop poolbusiness hotelexpress mallvalue for moneythe heart of the cityin room diningtop floorcoffee shopbusiness tripanna salaiduty managerexcellent hotelwelcome drinkroom servicebuffet breakfast
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I visited your cake shop yesterday at 7.30 pm. The service at the cake shop was shocking. The staff just grabbed the muffins with his bare hands and thrust them into a brown cover. I refused to accept the same. Even at local cake shops they handle the pastries with gloves. Whats happening to the Taj? This chap when questioned about handling food without gloves just shrugged and walked off. His indifference just took my breath away. I have always felt service and facilities at the Taj club house is substandard compared to services at your other hotels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ramkay_manohar
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Comfortable stay at the Club House, helpful staff, comfortable modern room. Many use of the gym which has roof top location with good view over the city, along side pool and bar. There was a visiting DJ from Bangalore in the bar during my stay, which spiced up the hotel bar. Id return to the Club House, good airport pick up too. Only negative points were the lack of free wifi and the mosquitoes in the reception; but wouldnt put me off from going back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank StirlingSilver
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Whilst not as well know as the Coromandel or the Connemara, this was an excellent hotel for several business trips to Chennai.
The service was excellent, and the staff could not have done enough for us.
There is a choice of restaurants, but eating, al fresco, on the roof in a balmy Chennai evening cannot be beaten.
I would definitely return to the Tab Club House (aka Taj Mount Road) if and when I'm back in Chennai.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I fell in love with this hotel - the architectural design is commendable and everything else adds to it! The interiors are elegant and the rooms are very sharp! The food at their Indian restaurant "Beyond Indus" was exquisite! By far, this was the best Taj hotel I have stayed at recently!

On the flip-side, they did mess up my pick-up from the airport and somehow they seem to have a bit of a gap with their internal communications (I experienced that in a couple different instances). The Duty Manager definitely did everything in her capacity to right the wrong and did more than make up for the disappointing experience at the airport (complimentary drop-off to the airport, special desert on the house at the restaurant and helping with airline check-in, etc). I was touched by how sincerely apologetic they were.

I will definitely stay there again when I am back in Chennai.

Room Tip: The rooms are terrific and you should be fine with any room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelingNut1972
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The Taj Club House seems to be the “secret Taj” in Chennai. Certainly many taxi drivers do not seem to know of its existence! I believe it might have previously been known as Taj Mount Road before a refurbishment a couple of years ago.

This is very definitely a hotel focused on business travellers rather than tourists, and competes well with some of the newer, funkier boutique 5 star business hotels in the same price bracket in the Anna Salai vicinity (such as the Raintree, and the Courtyard Marriott).

For clients loyal to the Taj Privilege brand, this hotel is certainly very different to the more colonial and heritage Vivanta Taj Connemara and Coromandel hotels in Chennai, yet it is very conveniently located, less than 100m from Taj Vivanta Connemara and the Spencer Plaza mall in Anna Salai.

The exterior of the hotel looks like a large glass office building. Inside the lobby is expansive, modern and open with a lot of marble and a large lobby lounge filled with comfortable seating and a small café bar serving coffee and cakes. At night the lighting is contemporary with blues and wood tones.

The “Blend” cocktail bar at the far end of the lobby is decorated in a modern styling, has a small outside area, and has live music a couple of days a week, and a calendar of various happy hour specials on different days of the week. It was loud in the evening, but definitely popular with guests when I stayed.

The hotel has 3 restaurants – a large open plan main dining restaurant/bistro called “The Clubhouse” – open 24 hours. It served a good breakfast buffet, but I thought that the décor and furniture needed a bit of modernisation.
Next door to the Blend cocktail bar is a more intimate central northern Indian restaurant called “Beyond Indus”, and there is a rooftop Mediterranean restaurant called “Kefi” next to the swimming pool and gym. There is also a relaxing outdoor dining/drinking area under market umbrellas on one corner of the roof adjacent to the Kefi restaurant, although the skyline views toward neighbouring buildings and Spencer Plaza are a somewhat unspectacular.

The rooftop pool area is very nice, and I thought the gym was particularly good, with lots of natural light, panorama windows looking at the pool and rooftop, and plenty of equipment.

I am SPG Platinum, so was upgraded into a very comfortably decorated corner studio suite, including large corner sofa, two big flat screen TVs, marble bathroom with huge lounging bath and separate rainforest shower. Although I was travelling alone, I was impressed with the romantic little touches like the tealight candles beside the bath. The hallways smelt a bit musty, but I have experienced this in other Chennai hotels too – a common problem in the humid climate I expect.

I also have to say that I found the service to be very good! Mr Hitendra Sharma, the Front Office Manager during my stay, was exceptionally proactive, hospitable and accommodating with guests – a quality I really come to appreciate given that I stay in a lot of hotels. The cheerful and personal service alone would make me happy to return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business