“Beautiful property, lovely stay”

and 1 more site!
The Generals Retreat
Ranked #67 of 508 Jaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at this guest house on 10th and 11th of March 2012. Had done the booking a week earlier and had got a promot email confirmation regarding the same.

I had reached on 10th March at about 10:30am. Ketki, the Owner welcomed me into their guest house. She was very warm and hospitable. I was alloted room number 2 on the 1st floor. I understand that there are around 10 rooms in the guest house with about 4-5 rooms on the 1st floor.

My room was very well lit with bright sunlight coming through semi-transparent curtains. And it looked even better with bright colored room upholstrey (including a silk bed cover). The room had a 21inch TV with DTH, cushioned chairs, big mirrors, cupboard and a safe deposit box. It was well decorated with pictures and paintings. The bathroom was clean, but could have been more cleaner. It was just about ok sized. On the 1st day afternoon, the bathroom started smelling badly. I had to keep the door closed all the time. Had informed the attendant (Darshan) at night, he did something next day morning to get rid of the smell, but it was back again on 2nd day afternoon. I did not bother much about changing rooms since I was spending most of my time outside attending marriages. Ketki - if you are reading this, please do something about the bathroom.

You may note that the other rooms on the 1st floor are much bigger, and has even bigger bathrooms. I did check them out while being cleaned, and they seemed really nice.

The sit out area on the 1st floor is beautiful. With pootted plants all around, the lawn in front, and trees, it was as if I was living with nature. The lawn in front was a beautiful place to sit and relax.

I am not sure about the food as I did not have it. Am sure it would be homely.

The Owner is very nice. She suggested some good places to eat out in Jaipur. They have two dogs and a cute looking cat. They play in the lawn most of the time. The Owner lives on the ground floor. Overall, its completely separate from the Owner's area.

The guest house has ample parking space. No issues in drving down.

Overall, I loved staying at this place. Why pay more and stay in some hotel which does not have personalised service. This place is warm, comfortable, well priced and centrally located. I will highly recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor room, other than Room No. 2. Though not sure about the room along side the sitout a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Generals Retreat

Reviewed 11 March 2012

The generals home is definitly a good place for any kind of retreat. We had a wonderfull time there with a large family... and all really enjoyed it. From the early morning welcoming to the assistancewhen needed and on the top the healthy and tasty food.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We had two comfortable happy nights at this clean family-run hotel. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Unfortunately on arrival at the train station we were not picked up as arranged despite confirmation by email. We ended up having to come by taxi and a room was not available. They said they'd lost all their emails recently so were not expecting us? They did however manage to accommodate us later in the day but we had to change room the following day to a much nicer one upstairs.
When we moved in, the room was quite cold and dark, but a heater was brought with some extra blankets. There was a wedding in town that day and this hotel is next door to the wedding garden. The noise was extremely loud but we actually managed to sleep through it as we were both quite unwell on the day we arrived.
They allowed us to have breakfast included as they had inconvenienced us.
On the whole we enjoyed our 2 nights at the General's Retreat. The family who run the hotel are really nice and we often saw them out front with their lovely dogs & sweet old blind cat. They spoke English very well and they were very helpful. They made us feel very welcome.
The lawn out front was a lovely place to sit under umbrellas. All very pleasant really.
The food was OK but I was surprised by the very sorry state of the waiter's uniforms. As we were always very concerned about hygiene in India these kind of things ring alarm bells.
I would however recommend the General's retreat for the friendly staff and relaxed and homely atmosphere.

Room Tip: We preferred the room upstairs - there is a nice balcony in front of the dining room on same floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Within the mayhem of my first few days on my first trip to India The Generals Retreat was a fantastic place to settle into India safely and comfortably. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay very much and this little retreat definitely made Jaipur even more magical. A short walk to MI road this hotel is in a perfect location with a large garden to relax in after a big day out and about. We spent 5 nights here and would definitely return. The family who runs the retreat are professional and warm catering to your needs. The homely touches in the rooms made it a very special and beautiful place to stay. Absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: The Room adjacent to the dining room was lovely with your own easy access to the veranda however it...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple