“Nice, homely hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Generals Retreat
Ranked #66 of 508 Jaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Unfortunately on arrival at the train station we were not picked up as arranged despite confirmation by email. We ended up having to come by taxi and a room was not available. They said they'd lost all their emails recently so were not expecting us? They did however manage to accommodate us later in the day but we had to change room the following day to a much nicer one upstairs.
When we moved in, the room was quite cold and dark, but a heater was brought with some extra blankets. There was a wedding in town that day and this hotel is next door to the wedding garden. The noise was extremely loud but we actually managed to sleep through it as we were both quite unwell on the day we arrived.
They allowed us to have breakfast included as they had inconvenienced us.
On the whole we enjoyed our 2 nights at the General's Retreat. The family who run the hotel are really nice and we often saw them out front with their lovely dogs & sweet old blind cat. They spoke English very well and they were very helpful. They made us feel very welcome.
The lawn out front was a lovely place to sit under umbrellas. All very pleasant really.
The food was OK but I was surprised by the very sorry state of the waiter's uniforms. As we were always very concerned about hygiene in India these kind of things ring alarm bells.
I would however recommend the General's retreat for the friendly staff and relaxed and homely atmosphere.

Room Tip: We preferred the room upstairs - there is a nice balcony in front of the dining room on same floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Generals Retreat

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Within the mayhem of my first few days on my first trip to India The Generals Retreat was a fantastic place to settle into India safely and comfortably. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay very much and this little retreat definitely made Jaipur even more magical. A short walk to MI road this hotel is in a perfect location with a large garden to relax in after a big day out and about. We spent 5 nights here and would definitely return. The family who runs the retreat are professional and warm catering to your needs. The homely touches in the rooms made it a very special and beautiful place to stay. Absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: The Room adjacent to the dining room was lovely with your own easy access to the veranda however it...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The folks here certainly go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need, and provide after-care too! They mailed my spectacles back to me after I left them behind in the room, which was lot more than I expected.

The room I stayed in was large and elegantly furnished, and someone would come in to turn the heater on every evening so that I returned to a warm, cozy room. I thought everything was quite reasonably priced, including breakfast, which came in generous portions and was thoroughly satisfying.

I do have to point out that the linen, towels, room and bathroom could have been much cleaner. The duvet ought to have had at least a linen cover to hide all the lint and hairs caught in it.

However, on the whole, I had a wonderful stay at the General's Retreat and will definitely stay there again if I ever return to Jaipur.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had the chance to stay at this amazing little hotel in Jaipur recently. It is run by Indu Bist and his daughter Ketaki who are the descendants of the general who built this hotel in the countryside outside Jaipur. Now Jaipur has encircled the hotel but this has not diminished the warm family feel or the sense of being in an out-of-town villa. The rooms are all different and all comfortable, but the best aspect is being welcomed into the family who will make your stay as easy and enjoyable as possible.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are grander than the ones upstairs
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I certianly don't agree with Okietrader's comments. The accommodation was excellent value, and mostly we thought it very clean and felt safe. We also stayed there when it was very cold. The blankets were clean and adequate, some peope just have to whine I guess.
Showers had boiling water and loads of it. Food was great in fact much better that the Trident.
I will certainly be staying there on my next trip.

Lynette

Room Tip: speak to the owner who runs it he is a wonderful man
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends