“Highlight of our trip”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

If you have children with you - or simply love elephants, this is a wonderful opportunity to get close to them. Undoubtedly my 13 year old daughter's favourite part of our holiday - she got to feed Lakshmi, our lovely elephant, before washing her in a bathing pool, painting her trunk and then embarking on a half hour ride through the local countryside.
Dera Amer also host elephant polo matches and have a very pleasant bar and restaurant where you can have lunch or dinner. We opted out of this as we were travelling off season and would have been the only guests there.
Altogether a much nicer option than queueing for hours to have a short sweaty ride with a lot of other tourists up to the fort at Amber.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank LSKDevon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Felt so privileged to be with these majestic animals”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This was the highlight of our holiday and yes I would class it as an elephant ride rather than a safari,but just spending one hour on one of these magnificent creatures as they plod along is such a privilege.The elephants seemed well cared for and we helped to bath one of the elephants,don't know who had more fun or who got most wet us or the elephant!
The weather has to be warm enough for the elephants to have a bath, fortunately it had just warmed up when we visited mid February
There were 6 of us in our group age range 52 to 14 and it was a delight to see my daughters 24 year boyfriend so enthusiastic and enthralled by the elephant.
We were probably there nearly 3 hours, this included a welcome drink, elephant ride,good lunch,elephant bath, painting trunk and just patting and stroking the amazing beasts.The location is very peaceful and it made up for a safari we went on in Haridwar where we were promised elephants and other wild creatures and actually saw some elephant poo and deer and deer and yes more deer!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Dawn C
Chennai
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is one of those attractions where I'm mystified by the TA reviews. I can see how the attraction would be great for kids. I have a three year old and I know she's absolutely love it. But I was travelling with a friend, a "girl's trip" away from the hubby and baby, and I was expected a lot based upon the TA reviews...and was sorely disappointed. Why? We'll, we went in November. There was no forest. There were barely any trees at all, only shrubs and dried brown grass on the ground. We arrived. We got on the elephant. It took us around for 30 minutes, covering an area of land that you could bike in 10 minutes. We moved at a snail's pace. The sun was strong (even in November)...it was noon when we went. So I was hot, there were flies buzzing all around us and the elephant...it was humorous really. We just cracked up at how bad it was. I started texting to pass the time…after the 30 minute ride (much shorter than advertised) we were led to an outside eating area. It was lovely. All the food was served buffet style, and was not hot. The quality was ok. Not great, not terrible. Meat was a bit gamey (lamb I think). Chicken not the greatest quality. Veg dishes good.

Would I do that for 30 USD, maybe 40 tops? Sure! Especially with kids. But for 100 USD, 200 for the two of us? No way.

At the very least, if you're seriously considering this, find out if the area has gotten greener. I didn't check the latest TA photos...maybe it was a bad time of year weather wise. Or a really dry year. But I really can’t recommend this…..

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Chennaifornow
udaijit, Owner at Dera Amer Elephant Safari, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Seems like the day ride with lunch is not appreciated by everybody though it has been by many earlier and even now.
Anyhow we shall add elephant painting and interactive live cooking sessions to the experience to enhance the product and keep in comparison to the sunset ride which has been appreciated by all with the usage of the flame torches,live barbecues and bon fires and the live musician.
Can understand the disappointment with the terrain since it is a dry time of the year however it is the semi arid habitation which we are trying very hard to protect and develop.
Sorry that the guest was disappointed.
INDIA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Sunset, pachyderms, champagne and a regal safari”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Udaijit laid on a spectacular elephant safari along a forested route of his estate in Dera Amer and just when we thought it was all over, we found torch lights lit outside the temple on the estate. We felt pampered, regaled and slightly spoilt, going back into an era of yesteryears. We stopped for champagne and with our glasses in hand, we continued to a spectacular setting of a bonfire, Maharaja chairs and a superb dinner. We have been sending our guests there for the last three years but are enthused to do this for every guest stopping by in Jaipur as it breaks the monotony of the hustle, bustle and chaos of the pink city. Well done and many thanks !
Anita & Mandip Singh Soin
Ibex Expeditions, India.

www.ibexexpeditions.com

Visited January 2012
2 Thank AnitaSoin
Pasadena, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“My Daughter's Favorite Memory”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We thought this was a great attraction! We had dreamed about riding elephants. It is unbelievable that you find such a quiet place to experience the outdoors so close to the hussle and bussle of a big city. The food was wonderful. The outdoor verandah made me think of what an authentic British Raj experience must have been like. The staff was very welcoming. Just be sure to tip the Mahout (elephant riders). They won't ask and you have to do it right after the ride. We were told INR 100 was approporiate

Visited December 2011