“Modern comfortable hotel”

Ranked #27 of 380 Hotels in Jaipur
London
“Modern comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We only stayed here for 1 night, but we could have happily stayed here for longer.
The view of the hotel from the outside, doesn't do it justice. The hotel was modern, bright and airy and exceeded our expectations.
We were in a club room which was lovely - well decorated, spacious, with a modern bathroom and very comfortable bed.
The rooftop swimming pool and terrace is small with only a few sun loungers, but it was still a nice spot to have a drink and enjoy the sunshine.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was candlelit due to it bring Earth hour (the candles were a nice touch, it was a shame when the lights came back on!), and although the restaurant seems to be more geared up to buffet style meals, we still had a decent dinner from the a la carte menu.

All in all, a good base for a stay in Jaipur, lthough would recommend you take the hotel's card/address if you go out, as our tuk tuk driver struggled to find it!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
VardanS, General Manager at Fortune Select Metropolitan, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that our product and hospitality exceeded your expectation and you and your family did enjoy the stay with us.

it is our constant endeavor to exceed the guest satisfaction level

Me & my team once again thank you for taking out your precious time and sharing your feedback with all.

Regards,
Sanjay Punj
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Amazing hotel to stay at. Very good location. Excellent rooms(even the standard rooms). Lavish breakfast buffet catering to all cuisines. Built inside a mall so shopping was fun.

Room Tip: Choose the standard room(basic room) as that is good enough and great VFM.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
VardanS, General Manager at Fortune Select Metropolitan, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Mr. Rishab,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at Fortune Select Metropolitan, Jaipur. It is a pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay and our hospitality.

We are especially pleased that our rooms, location and food met upto your expectations.

We hope you will return Jaipur and stay with us again in the future.

Regards
Pune, India
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Though I got the stay at Fortune Select Metropolitan through a loyalty reward at my workplace, I would definitely have given them my business even otherwise! Its located in a nice central location of the city - only about 5-6 kms from the most important tourist spots. Rooms were well furnished, with only 1-2 very minor problems that got solved promptly. The staff were really courteous and made us feel right at home. Breakfast buffet was included in our plan and was lavish, with lots of options for veg/non-veg and also Indian/continental cuisine.

Room Tip: Rooms situated towards the back of the hotel are better than the rooms facing front.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
VardanS, General Manager at Fortune Select Metropolitan, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Mr. Anurag,

Pleased to know that your recent stay experience at Fortune Select Metropolitan met all your expectations, at Fortune we believe in giving a homely feeling to our guests and our team members does not spare any efforts in doing so, encouraging remarks for our food quality and the courteous behavior of my team members is very much appreciated.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,
Pune
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We got an opportunity to stay at this amazing hotel earlier this month when Jaipur's weather was just right, not too hot and not too cold either. The hotel just added cherry to the cake by making our stay memorable. Staff is polite, warm and hospitable. Hotel is clean and serene. Buffet breakfast was the most lavish I've seen. There was a section for soaked almonds, nuts, sprouts and beans for protein freaks. Then there was cold breakfast section that had sweet lassi and namkeen lassi, fresh cut fruits, salad, cheese and raw paneer. Then there was a section for croissants, 2-3 different kinds of breads and buns. Then there was hot breakfast section which had further Continental, North Indian and South Indian breakfast. Accompanying that there were containers of fresh juice(mainly watermelon and mix fruit juice). Next to that was 3 different kinds of cereals with a choice of hot and cold milk and if this was not enough there were live counters making omlette, pan-cakes and waffles on request. Masala chai and coffee was on request too. Hot fare in the menu was changed daily and not a single day we were disappointed. We enjoyed our breakfast all three days.
Hotel in itself complies to all the standards a four star should. There were basic things like sewing kit and safety pins in the room and paper napkins & ear buds in the bathroom and then there were advanced amenities like iron and ironing board and a very spacious closet. Many hotels don't provide paper napkins after they've provided hand towels but they did. Queen bed in the room was very comfortable. Towels were changed daily and the body wash, shampoo and lotion provided were of good quality and not some cheap stuff purchased in bulk. Only complain I had in this front was room service did not replenish the stock on daily basis. After first day, we had to specifically ask each day for body wash and shampoo. They should either increase the quantity or supply it on daily basis. Another complaint I had and that is something I noticed in all Indian hotels is that people don't change the bed-sheet daily. They just make the bed and go. If not daily, they should at-least change the bed-sheet every alternate day.
Other problems we came across were AC not functioning properly. Temperature control was not functioning at all and we had to call an engineer two nights in a row so that we could sleep peacefully. Bathroom got choked easily as there was no slope for water to go so it would just stand. On third day of our stay, even tap started leaking. But I guess these were the problems only in our room because my husband had a colleague of his and his wife staying in the adjacent room and they didn't face any such problem.
Overall the hotel was just great. Rooftop swimming pool was adorable. But all the brownie points go to hotel's location. What location! There was plenty of public transport available. There were two malls nearby and Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Baskin Robbins, Cafe Coffee Day, everything in the vicinity. There was even a Big Bazar close by which was a real bliss as we did not want to use anything from hotel's mini bar. We did order for a pasta though from hotel's kitchen one day and boy,oh boy, was I surprised. It tasted like heaven. We did not expect a hotel in Jaipur to get an Italian dish so right but we were wrong :)
I'd recommend this hotel to everyone who is coming to Jaipur and wants to experience luxury in budget.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
VardanS, General Manager at Fortune Select Metropolitan, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Madam, thanks for taking out time and writing your review, me and my team are delighted to know that you had a very nice and comfortable stay. Your appreciation of staff has been shared with the entire team which was quite motivating. We have also noted your suggestions on replenishment of stocks, AC, and drainage and same has been already taken up with the concerned. Yes we do have a advantage of location as our Hotel is right in the Heart of Jaipur.
will look forward to have you back soon. thanks and warm regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed in 4 or 5* places for our Golden Triangle and this one fared the worst I'm afraid. When we arrived, we were greeted with all the 'Namaste's'. Sorry just doesn't seem that genuine after several times as another reviewer also commented.

First hitch. We accidentally gave them our Metropolitan Delhi reservation then I noticed our mistake and asked for it back. They hadn't even noticed. I also heard one saying 'expedia' to the other, and we didn't book through expedia. Bit odd. Then we had to ask if we had a club room (it's what we booked) and I got the feeling they weren't giving us a club room initially. I then asked about the club lounge, and they sort of avoided that question.

Got in the lift and up to the room. Ok at a glance. Then noticed the sheets didn't look very clean, towels also not very clean looking. I don't know if they just get so dirty that they can't get them white. But other hotels seemed to manage. The room itself looked nice and modern. The socket fell off though when I unplugged a charger. Didn't seem to be screwed onto the wall! I called down about wi-fi and the guy then gave me a code. I had some trouble because I disconnected and later re-connected. Sorted with call to reception.

Now, the website states that there is a 'club lounge' and 'cocktail hour'. This was why we booked the club lounge. We asked a staff member where the club lounge was and he pointed at the sofas on our floor (floor 5), and we said 'not the club lounge'. He was quite un-cooperative. We went in the lift and there was a sign in the lift saying the lounge was on floor 4. Ok, so we went down to 4 and looked around. Then went over to a guy blocking a doorway and a sign up saying it was closed. The guy said it wasn't the lounge, but clearly it was. He directed us to the bar on floor 3. Not quite the same thing as a free lounge for the club rooms though is it?? So it becomes a bit pointless booking a club room. We tried asking again to no avail. It seems they either just kept it closed or used it for conference guests only (with 'guard on the door to keep us out lol). Checked the website from the room and it definitely says it, so I have no idea why they are hiding the club lounge! Anyway, enough about that.

We went downstairs to the mall, it's ok, but not great. There's another mall across a busy road (you can get across if you take your time and be careful). Over there is McDonalds and Pizza Hut if you like that sort of thing. We never found a supermarket, so we got some cans of diet coke and some bottled water from McDonalds at a reasonable price. Reasonable by uk standards anyway, but probably expensive in india. 30 rupees for coke I think, and 15 or so for water. There was an interesting home store upstairs in that other mall. I got some cushion covers for 95 and 125 rupees, very cheap I thought.

Pool was ok, but nothing special. On the rooftop.

We were out all day in Jaipur, so didn't spend much time in the room or at the pool.

Food - We had the dinner buffet both nights. Not much other options nearby. We asked how much it was before going into the mall. We were told 550 rupees. When we came back from the mall we were told it was 499 rupees. Weird. Then when we got the bill it was 550 rupees each. We queried this, and they brought a new bill to us in the bar. It was 499 for my husband and a 25% ladies discount for me. There was a sign in the mall to this effect, and also advertising 'one free drink' (which they didn't give us, we were charged for drinks).

Now, onto the bar. We went in and I saw they had my favourite cocktail 'Caipirinha'. So I ordered one. The guy muddles the limes etc, then comes over with a bottle of dark rum or something. I ask what it is and he shows me like there shouldn't be a problem. Except this drink is made with Cachaca. So I asked for Cachaca but it turns out they don't have any and they make it with rum. I then got an option of Drambuie in it - bit odd. I declined and ordered something else which I could see on the shelf. Maybe they didn't think I'd notice. We went to the bar both nights, and the second night we chatted to the barman a bit - he seemed a decent bloke and we had a bit of a laugh with him.

On check out they tried to charge us for water from the mini-bar which we didn't have, then they billed my card in GBP without asking me first. This can be expensive! The receipt said something about 'I expressly agree to being charged in my own currency and was given a choice of currency' ha ha. Well it was too late but I got a bit mad with them and they also then refunded the money for the mini-bar water which we didn't have.

One more thing....water everywhere in the bathroom. And what an odd roller blind privacy set up. What's wrong with walls?

Sorry, don't recommend this one.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the club room upgrade if you are hoping for lounge access. Might be useful boo...
4 Thank lesley1974
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the feedback with us, I am indeed distressed to know about your recent experience with us, based on your feedback I have personally conducted a point wise investigation and ‘yes’ found certain lapses in our services, wrong voucher collected by front Desk staff and not noticed the same, this point is very well taken up with team Front office and hopefully will not see any recurrence.

The upkeep of linen and maintenance standard in room has been discussed with Exe-Housekeeper & Chief Engineer.

Club Lounge in the hotel is at 5th floor only (the one outside your room), initially it was on the 4th floor so the internal signage also depicts but for the guest convinience shifted to 5th floor as all the club rooms are on 5th floor only, thereby to give ease to accessibility and to avoid logistic inconvinience, however with our lounge there is no service associated like happy hours/cocktail hours.
We are in a process of changing our internal signage.

I would also like to inform that the mall adjoining to the hotel has a supermarket in the basement “Big Bazaar”.

Our regular buffet rate in the Restaurant is 550/+ taxes, rate of 499/+ taxes was for special promotion during that period and further 25% discount to ladies only. Communicating a wrong info and presenting a wrong bill to our valued customer is not at all our standard and shows a lack of training & briefing in the department, my F & B Manager is committed to bring the desired effeciency level among his staff and I will also personally monitor it. Drink which was part of the promotion with the dinner was charged to you by mistake and I have no excuse for it however we are pleased to compensate the charges by any means as advised by you .

We could not give you your favorite cocktail as Cachaca liqueur was not available, though we make the same with dark Rum. I am glad to know your opinion about our Barman.

Charging a guest on his home currency through Dynamic Currency Conversion is a win win situation for both guest and merchant as guest will be charged as per the exchange rate for the day, and has a advantage of paying the same rate to bank even after a month irrespective of change in conversion rate. Even though before processing guest’s permission is imperative and we are apologitic for not doing the same.

It is through valueable feedback like yours that we strive to improve our services and exceed customer expectations.

While once again regretting on behalf of all at Fortune Select Metropolitan for the inconvenience you have faced, may I request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services.

I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again when my colleagues and I can demonstrate to you how your feedback has resulted in immediate correction and re-establish our credibility with you.