“Very good but is it the best restaurant in India?”
Review of Wasabi By Morimoto

Wasabi By Morimoto
Ranked #109 of 14,684 Restaurants in Mumbai
Price range: US$ 92 - US$ 184
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Recognised by San Pellegrino as one of Asia's 50 Best Restaurants 2016, Wasabi by Morimoto offers its guests authentic Japanese culinary treasures from the repertoires of Iron Chef Morimoto. The ingredients, including seafood and Wasabi, are specially flown down from Japan. Besides, the ever popular signature dishes like White fish carpaccio, Black cod miso, Wasabi crème brulee, the already extensive menu keeps expanding and changing with new additions. Interact with our Japanese Chef Masasan Kobayashi at the Sushi Bar or watch him set the range ablaze at the Teppenyaki Counter. Complete with an extensive selection of Japanese whisky, Sake and Plum wines, Wasabi by Morimoto is a connoisseur's delight.
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I visited here partly because it is the only restaurant in India in the 50 best in Asia list, and it is indeed very good. Excellent Japanese fusion flavours, with the food all well cooked and well balanced. It is certainly worth a visit for something a bit different from the Indian and Chinese restaurants you normally get in 5 star Indian hotels, but certainly the night we were there, the ambience wasn't great and it wasn't obvious why the restaurant is deemed to be superior to all others in India on the '50 best' list.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Wasabi By Morimoto

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We ate the Chef''s Choice which was a bargain at around £110 compared to the same choices on the a la carte menu. Some parts were good; tuna pastrami was delicate and soft, too tartar good too. Sushi was average, no better than a standard UK restaurant. Rock shrimp tempura could've been a KFC standard, tasteless although the sauce was well flavoured. Tetsunab scallop gyoza was very good but at around £35 it should be good! Lamb chop Rabatayaki was pretty much a disaster. The lamb was over cooked, the plate looked a jumble and the salt content was so high it needed a pint of water to wash away, my partners salmon in a bag was equally over salted. Why? The chef did apologise and offer a replacement, which we declined. As with all up high end restaurants in Mumbai the price of wine is a joke. Not Wasabi's fault entirely as the tax is ridiculously high - but so must be the mark up. The clientele was a mixture of poseurs and those ytring to impress and show how much money they have whilst being unable to eat properly, no manners but I guess the wine price encourages customers to wash down £50 worth of delicately flavoured sushi with Coca Cola! Not so sure it encourages them to wave cutlery about and pull apart artistically constructed sashimi though. Waiters were knowledgable which is a refreshing change in Mumbai so that was a plus. On the negative the green tea chocolate moon is terrible; tasteless greasy, green chocolate which had hot chocolate sauce poured over to great ceremony but which did nothing. Try The Ivy for a similar dessert and see how it's done. Overall very disappointing, over priced and just a place people with too much money go to tell their finds. Don't bother if you don't fit into that category.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Because of my two grandsons, Anish and Sohum, staying in USA, who had discovered this restaurant on the website, we (my wife and I) were constrained to visit this restaurant last week, when my son, Rajesh, came to Mumbai, with his two sons, as aforesaid. They wanted to visit this restaurant for dinner.I called the restaurant, and could not get an early appointment, and was given an appointment at 10.30 pm for dinner.

On reaching the restaurant, we spoke to the Manager, Nandini, and told her that I had booked a table for three, i.e., my son and two grandsons, and added that while they may be seated and served in the restaurant, my wife and I, being strictly vegetarian, we shall go to the neighbouring Shamiana. Nandini, however, insisted that we should also come to her restaurant, and she would get a table for five ready within 10 to 15 minutes. The restaurant was on the mezzanine floor. When we told her that we are too old to climb the staircase, she took us to a small lift, which took us to the elevator. She also promised Japanese vegetarian food.

After waiting for about 10 to 15 minutes, the restaurant being probably overbooked, Nandini arranged for a table for five. For us, she suggested a Japanese sushi pizza. My son and grandsons ordered non-vegetarian food. For the dessert, we ordered, on the advice of Nandini, a peculiar Japanese strawberry icecream on top of a Japanese chocolate cake. My son and grandsons had their own preferred dessert chosen from the menu.

For us, the food was fairly good. My son and grandsons liked the food, probably because it was pricey. The bill was awfully frightening at Rs. 24,000. Even then, my wife and I were only half-full. We couldn't have anything more. Nandini told us the the food is costly because all the ingredients,including icecreams are imported daily by a consignment from Japan, which carries import duties and taxes

The restaurant is small, compared to the other restaurants in Taj. The service was excellent.Nandini was very cooperative. When all is said and done, i must say that it was a unique and fascinating experience for me and my wife. But I must add that the food did not accord me and my wife the value for the money. My taj Inner circle card was also not recorded,so I failed to earn dining points on it. It was probably Nandini's fault, or rather oversight, she was kind and helpful, though. Be that as it may, we were happy that our two grandsons enjoyed their dinner. Their pleasure is our Joy..

Incidentally, Nandini promised us on leaving the restaurant that she would give two of us a complementary meal when we visit Shamiana by calling her. Let's see. I have her business card, and will surely call her .

1  Thank Madhookar P
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Pretty expensive, but it was worth it. We did the Omakase tasting menu, which was brilliant, but the highlight was fresh wasabi - it was awesome!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We've been to three Morimoto restaurants and I have to say that this one is by far the least exciting. We usually leave the restaurant full and content - and although the staff was attentive and friendly - the food did not live up to it's standards - especially for the cost. I guess I shouldn't complain too much - since we are talking about sushi in India... lol. Hope they can do a bit better from now on.