“Unique and Fascinating Experience of a Jaanese restaurant”
Review of Wasabi By Morimoto

Wasabi By Morimoto
Ranked #127 of 14,882 Restaurants in Mumbai
Price range: US$ 94 - US$ 188
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Colaba
Description: Recognised by San Pellegrino as one of Asia's 50 Best Restaurants 2016, Wasabi by Morimoto offers its guests authentic Japanese culinary treasures from the repertoires of Iron Chef Morimoto. The ingredients, including seafood and Wasabi, are specially flown down from Japan. Besides, the ever popular signature dishes like White fish carpaccio, Black cod miso, Wasabi crème brulee, the already extensive menu keeps expanding and changing with new additions. Interact with our Japanese Chef Masasan Kobayashi at the Sushi Bar or watch him set the range ablaze at the Teppenyaki Counter. Complete with an extensive selection of Japanese whisky, Sake and Plum wines, Wasabi by Morimoto is a connoisseur's delight.
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Because of my two grandsons, Anish and Sohum, staying in USA, who had discovered this restaurant on the website, we (my wife and I) were constrained to visit this restaurant last week, when my son, Rajesh, came to Mumbai, with his two sons, as aforesaid. They wanted to visit this restaurant for dinner.I called the restaurant, and could not get an early appointment, and was given an appointment at 10.30 pm for dinner.

On reaching the restaurant, we spoke to the Manager, Nandini, and told her that I had booked a table for three, i.e., my son and two grandsons, and added that while they may be seated and served in the restaurant, my wife and I, being strictly vegetarian, we shall go to the neighbouring Shamiana. Nandini, however, insisted that we should also come to her restaurant, and she would get a table for five ready within 10 to 15 minutes. The restaurant was on the mezzanine floor. When we told her that we are too old to climb the staircase, she took us to a small lift, which took us to the elevator. She also promised Japanese vegetarian food.

After waiting for about 10 to 15 minutes, the restaurant being probably overbooked, Nandini arranged for a table for five. For us, she suggested a Japanese sushi pizza. My son and grandsons ordered non-vegetarian food. For the dessert, we ordered, on the advice of Nandini, a peculiar Japanese strawberry icecream on top of a Japanese chocolate cake. My son and grandsons had their own preferred dessert chosen from the menu.

For us, the food was fairly good. My son and grandsons liked the food, probably because it was pricey. The bill was awfully frightening at Rs. 24,000. Even then, my wife and I were only half-full. We couldn't have anything more. Nandini told us the the food is costly because all the ingredients,including icecreams are imported daily by a consignment from Japan, which carries import duties and taxes

The restaurant is small, compared to the other restaurants in Taj. The service was excellent.Nandini was very cooperative. When all is said and done, i must say that it was a unique and fascinating experience for me and my wife. But I must add that the food did not accord me and my wife the value for the money. My taj Inner circle card was also not recorded,so I failed to earn dining points on it. It was probably Nandini's fault, or rather oversight, she was kind and helpful, though. Be that as it may, we were happy that our two grandsons enjoyed their dinner. Their pleasure is our Joy..

Incidentally, Nandini promised us on leaving the restaurant that she would give two of us a complementary meal when we visit Shamiana by calling her. Let's see. I have her business card, and will surely call her .

1  Thank Madhookar P

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Pretty expensive, but it was worth it. We did the Omakase tasting menu, which was brilliant, but the highlight was fresh wasabi - it was awesome!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We've been to three Morimoto restaurants and I have to say that this one is by far the least exciting. We usually leave the restaurant full and content - and although the staff was attentive and friendly - the food did not live up to it's standards - especially for the cost. I guess I shouldn't complain too much - since we are talking about sushi in India... lol. Hope they can do a bit better from now on.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

We had come for lunch, the service was not great as the server did not even ask us how was the food or If we would like anything.
This restaurant is to hyped because of the cost.

GuestServicesTMP, Public Relations Manager at Wasabi By Morimoto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Dear The B,

We sincerely apologise for the less than perfect experience. Please do share your number with us as tmhfb(.)bom(@)tajhotels(.)com

With warm regards,
The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Reviewed 7 June 2017

The ambiance of this restaurant is amazing and with tables that overlook the Arabian sea! We called for the Perigod roll sushi and Carpaccio tofu..both were delicious and the flavours were superlative!

Dear Swatijd,

Greetings!

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experiences. We do hope to be able to welcome you back very soon to experience our other offerings at the hotel.

With warm regards,