“Very nice seafood!”

Ranked #467 of 15,133 Restaurants in Mumbai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Juhu
Reviewed 5 March 2017

Upstairs restaurant with some view windows to the street. There's a lift if you don't want to or can't climb steps. Loved the delicate Bombil duck (thin fish, fried) with the garlic/mustard/ginger chutney!. Nice clams curry and pomfret curry. The hugest tiger prawns - excellently done tandoori style. Prawns curry quite nice, too, especially with the neer dosa. Completely out of crab this time - very surprising considering its prominence on the menu, but there seems to be a shortage. Great, accommodating service. They take reservations.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

Well, I have visited Bombay enough times in my life and never had food at Gajalee in spite of friends and family strongly recommending it. But this time I made a point to dine in their Juhu Branch and I must say the food is simply spectacular !! We arrived a bit early around seven-eish as we wanted to enjoy their seafood and not just rush our meal. Had heard about their Bombil (Bombay Duck) a lot so we had to give it a try, therefore ordered their Bombil fry and I must say it was just lip smacking. They way they have prepared their batter for the fry was just amazing. Crunchy from the outside and soft from the inside. I have tried this very fish in many top notch restaurants, but the way Gajalee makes it is simply outstanding. Other than that, tried their prawns masala cooked in malvani style which was great as well. A must try is the Crab Masala and dont feel embarassed to eat it with your hands and spoil yourself. haha !!!! The service staff is friendly as well as polite and they do explain all their dishes if guest is new to this kind of food and has less knowledge about it. The ambience of the restaurant is good as well and you feel relaxed as soon as you enter.
Overall, a awesum place for seafood lovers. I loved Gajalee and I wont forgive myself thinking why did'nt I visit this place before !!!!

Reviewed 23 February 2017

When you have converted a husband who is 'not so great sea food lover' into oohing and ahhing over the sea food here at Gajalee, you know they have definitely done something right!

Gajalee is definitely nostalgia for me, as made it a point to eat here on my home visit. This is a place for hard core sea food lovers!
The place is definitely expensive! Service was very hurried when we went, maybe they were too busy and had to keep looking for the servers. We waited for 45 mins to get our table.

The management asked us to order in advance -which we did, but beware it made no difference, we still had to wait for a long time to get our order. My advice to the Management is maybe you keep a cash advance or keep a credit card as guarantee and let the waiting people who genuinely want to eat order in advance.

My first on order was the bombil fry - nothing can beat the texture of a crumb fried bombil - and they got it right on - fresh, crispy on the outside and just white clean flesh on the inside. The husband ordered the pomfret tandoori and actually downed the whole fish, to my surprise. Also on order was the clams koshimbir - yummy and flavourful coconuty masala. All of the sea food was fresh as ever.

I can't remember the name of the fish curry that we ordered with white rice and chappatis. The fish curry had the right spices and not overpowering with masala, it went well more with the white rice than the chapatis.
For dessert, we should have stuck to Kulfi, the husband ordered the ready made mango ice cream and it was full of ice particles - it would have been too old...

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Good place to come for a seafood meal. Very nice Bombil (Bombay duck) appetizers. King fish was so so. Neer dosa, jeera alloo, prawns were excellent. Good service. Ambience was very sterile. The place could have been A McDonald's if you changed the restaurant signage. Nothing coastal or seafood related in the restaurant decor.

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is spacious with a good ambience. However the food tastes so so and not great. The chicken dishes did not taste great. However the sea food tastes okay. The restaurant is also a little exorbitantly priced.