“Decent Place, but may be a bit overated”
Review of Masala Library

Masala Library
Ranked #26 of 14,675 Restaurants in Mumbai
Price range: US$ 47 - US$ 78
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Masala Library by Jiggs Kalra aims at showcasing the epicurean lineage of Ancient India, representing culinary excellence from across the geographical landscape of the country. The menu has dishes prepared in their traditional avatar, using original recipes from the era, presented in a contemporary style. Masala Library by Jiggs Kalra is the exclusive "Jiggs Kalra" branded restaurant, globally, post his successful exit from Punjab Grill one & half years ago
Reviewed 18 February 2017

The third time i was here, and this time we tried their wine pairing menu, which to a surprise was much much better than any ala carte i tried here earlier. although a tad on the Expensive side. think its about 5k a head!!

the food is acceptable to any palate as its more on the bland side than flavorful / spicy. maybe because they try to follow Molecular gastronomy which they probably achieve as well as a result this place might rank high with foreigners due to the reason mentioned above, however for hardcore indian food junkies, doesnt really tingle all my taste buds. i'd like more flavour and "masala" in the food.

Service though is top notch! the waiters know everthing about their menu and very courteous at it. so additional point there. (i wish some of the other places learn from them)

MRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at Masala Library, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Dear Mr. Gultaj,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and feedback with us. While we are delighted to know that you enjoyed some aspects of the dining experience, we apologise for not having met your expectations on some others. We have already addressed your feedback with the team, to enable them in offering a higher level of culinary experience to the guests.

Team Masala Library by Jiggs Kalra

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Masala Library

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

Words are less too describe the delicacy served at this restaurant. The food was finger licking, the service was impeccable. A must try if you haven't yet been here.

Dear Aanya,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and words of appreciation. We are humbled by your words and delighted to know that you enjoyed the cuisine and our hospitality.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

I will make this review very short and to the point. The food, presentation and the service simply amazing. A must to eat here when in Mumbai.

Dear Mr. Willem,

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

So we heard a lot about this joint and decided to visit. This was a family affair and we are vegetarians.

Ambience - the ambience is smart however nothing to exceptional. The one thing that bothered me were an odd fly and mosquito we spotted. I was worried cause I had my kid with me so kept swatting the mosquito and fly. The restaurant did have the flying insect killer but maybe it was not working or just that we were on a badly located table.

Staff - very smart, helpful, well trained and friendly

Food -
In general the food tasted well. The spread had a unique assortment of experimental dishes. The Mushroom starter was particularly good. The main course was strictly ordinary or maybe very experimental for my palate. My folks liked the fare but did not find it exceptional. The deserts were quite good.

We found the rule that everyone on the table has to either order ala carte or all order the set menu quite odd. I would have preferred ordering ala carte though my parents wanted to go with the set menu. The restaurant policy meant we had no choice despite requesting. This was a big negative.

The other issue was the quantity of the starters. Since I knew the main course was not going to be up my alley wanted to eat some more starters but again the strict limited policy meant there was no scope for liniency. I basically had to endure the main course which as expected turned out to be a big disappointment for me. The bread basket was particularly bad with stretchy rotis and oily Malabar parathas.

So the food wasn't particularly bad or great, choice was limited then why the poor rating you might wonder.

When you put the above in the perspective of the price, the equation just goes out of the window. I strongly felt the food was not worth the price. I would have preferred many other equally good restaurants which dish out much better food at the same price. So the food was a let down at the price point. For a premium restaurant they should either give patrons more choice or keep their pricing realistic. They are trying to keep their pricing premium to serve a limited range of food which does not work well.

For the experimental foodie this might be worth one visit on the day you don't feel particularly hungry. My family and I would not recommend or visit this place again for sure.

MRestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at Masala Library, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2017

Dear Mr. Vijay,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We apologise for not having met your expectations and also for the inconvenience caused to you. We have addressed your points of concern with the team to enable them in taking immediate corrective measure.

We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

This restaurant is one of a kind. Jiggs Kalra has created a menu which is unique although it uses traditional Indian ingredients and spices. They even serve beetel leaf flavoured candy floss.

Dear Mr. Saraf,