“Great location in South Mumbai”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #106 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai
Gurgaon, Delhi
“Great location in South Mumbai”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I stayed at the Astoria on a business trip to Mumbai and found it very convenient to all my business meetings and also great value for money (but then I did get a special deal of Rs 3K/night) On the downside, the rooms are on the small side and I had major problems getting a Wi-Fi connection in my room. The manager and staff were friendly but unable to figure out why the Wi-Fi card would not work on my computer - so that over the three nights I was there, I had to check my mail downstairs on the hotel staff laptop. Not good news when you are on a business trip. Also the electrical plugpoints in the room need to be refurbished - every time I needed to plug in an appliance, the electrician needed to be called which was a real pain !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mayoite74
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 29 April 2011

When I checked into this hotel I had no idea that I would end up being rushed to the nearby Bombay Hospital to have emergency surgery the second day of my stay in Mumbai. Before that event, I was happy with the hotel room, which was clean and attractive, and the service, which was kind and attentive. I had no idea how attentive until my colleague called reception at 6:30 am to tell them I needed to go to the hospital. The manager on duty called a cab and went with us to the hospital, getting me immediately into an examining room, providing translation, and getting me admitted to the hospital. He stayed all day making sure arrangements were taken care of. Then, he came to help with checkout four days later when I left the hospital to return to the hotel. I can't say enough about the extraordinary lengths to which the staff of the Astoria Hotel is willing to go to ensure a guest's safety and health.

Room Tip: I like the fifth floor best
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mumpy2
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 24 March 2011

The Astoria is located walking distance from the Marine Drive - one of the best locations to be in. You have easy access to all the main offices in the Churchgate area (if you are on a business trip) and a host of great dining places and shopping centres.

It is a basic hotel with clean rooms and a homely dinner buffet - great if you are tired of eating out. The rooms are reasonably priced as well.

The hotel however does not have wifi in its rooms, it only has free wifi in the lobby area. For accessing internet in the rooms, you have to purchase an access card, which is not very economical and the speed isn't great either.

For a business traveler, not wanting to spend too much - the hotel is ideal.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Kiranjyot
Chennai, India
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Astoria is the standard hotel I stay when I travel to mumbai on work. Its very useful for me as I end up spending a good part of my stay in Mumbai at south mumbai. Its a simple and elegant hotel with the basic amenities. A clean room, comfortable bed, clean toilets and a good breakfast. I also like the very efficient staff. Moreover, if you become a regular, you could muster a 10% discount on the rack rate. Stay at Astoria for a simple and hassle free value for money stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
grt massingham
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We were upgraded to The Astoria having booked in to its little sister hotel The Residency. This made it particularly good value, as we only paid the rate for The Residency. The bedroom was large and comfortable, and there was an extra little room to store bags etc as well as a good size bathroom. The shower was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful, and particularly helped us to phone the next hotel to make a booking. The bed was fantastic. Thick and comfortable mattress - the opposite to many we have experienced in India.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple