“An oasis of calm and elegance”

Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai
Ranked #31 of 484 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 26 February 2012

After the excitement and the chaos of Mumbai this hotel is a haven of calm and tranquillity.
We were upgraded to a superior room on arrival and the room was beautifully appointed. It also had a great view as it was on a higher level with views to the sea.

The staff at this hotel were so friendly and helpful – nothing was too much trouble for them – and they made sure we made the most out of our short stay in Mumbai.

As we had flown in that day we decided to eat in the hotel that evening. We ate in the Italian restaurant and had a great meal. We also briefly visited the very trendy bar but as we had an early internal flight the next morning we did not have the time to fully enjoy the facilities at this hotel.

The breakfast was very good with a large selection of hot and cold dishes with eggs to order. The service was attentive.

This is a really good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed 6 nights in a great room with Mumbai bay view and it was total joy. Room was really great, very nice bath, comfy bed, and nice flat TV with home theater. Breakfast was super nice too, very nice spread and tasty food. all the people at hotel were so polite and willing to help.
My stay was impeccable. I had great time in Mumbai! Thanks Hotel!

Room Tip: ask room with Mumbai bay view on high floor...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I was disappointed with this hotel. We'd booked on a pay-ahead, extended stay basis, with the proviso for an upgrade to a sea view room, with which we were provided. I'd read that the rooms had recently been upgraded, so I was looking forward to our stay. I think we may have had one of the Japanese designed rooms, as there was absolutely nothing to remind us of the vibrant, rich colours and vitality of India. (There was a set of black and white photos of Mumbai on the wall.)

Our small room and bathroom were almost totally brown in colour and as I entered it felt like walking into a dismal, dark cave. The walls were covered with textured hessian wall paper, the awkward Roman blinds were also hessian brown, the floor and fittings were dark timber and the bathroom was brown granite. The only light emanated from the white ceiling, white sheets and light coming through the window. Even the lights in the room were permanently dim. I felt like a worm living in the soil - so gloomy.

The ubiquitous heavy black coffee mugs and overhead rain shower completed the renovation. There was no hand-held shower device, although a plastic jug was provided to help clean the places an overhead shower never reaches. The room was such a disappointment after staying at some gorgeous hotels throughout southern India. Perhaps I should have asked for a room change, since my mood matched the room's after four nights stay. On the way down in the lift on the last day, the doors opened onto a lobby on a lower floor which had very light tones, so perhaps one can request a lighter, more Indian style room.

Would I stay here again? No, in fact we added two nights to our Mumbai stay and moved to another, beautifully decorated hotel. Our room at the Taj President will become more depressing the older it becomes.

Room Tip: If light affects your mood, ask for a room with light tones - rather than brown
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is a lovely hotel and I was surprised to see it wasn't rated higher on TripAdvisor. The location is good for tourist sites although there isn't much around in the immediate vicinity.

The welcome I received was fantastic, although actually a bit overwhelming. To be greeted with a rose, about 3 different guest relations/front office staff and welcome drinks was all a bit much after a long flight. I actually just wanted to get up to my room and couldn't really concentrate on all the information I was being bombarded with. Having said that, I can't fault the politeness, the warmth and friendliness of all the staff. In fact, one of them even accompanied me to buy a sari that In eeded for a wedding in Goa.

In terms of the room, no faults or complaints at all, it was lovely. The breakfast was average, although as I was to discover, much better than anything in Goa.

The one thing I would say about staying here is that if you're on your own (especially if you're female), it is very difficult to get around, not much within walking distance and doesn't feel particularly safe outside of the hotel. Other than that, a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Ideally don't stay in a room near the lifts - the noise from people coming and going did keep me...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was by far my most memorable and relaxing business travel experience. The staff were incredibly accommodating, kind and helpful the entire stay. If you don't like attention, this hotel is not for you. The front desk staff and their colleagues went out of their way to make sure our stay was impeccable and they succeeded.
The rooms were spotless, inviting, relaxing and a comforting place to come back to at the end of a day. My first evening, after hours and hours of travel, I rented a movie, called for room service from Thai Pavilion (amazing!) and took a relaxing hot rain shower in the big, accommodating bathroom. The bed was heaven and you could even pick a pillow to your taste - smell, firmness, etc. The marketing and sincere concern of the staff for every element of our stay was refreshing and it made out stay in Mumbai the best of our entire trip to India. There was a spa, gym (with free personal trainers), a pool and even an in-house astrologer if you were so inclined. The on-site restaurants were great. Thai Pavilion was amazing; the Italian restaurant was great for breakfast, ok for dinner; we did not visit the Indian restaurant mostly because it smelled very odd. We indulged instead in Indian food at outside restaurants.
I have to thank the entire team there for their hospitality and my colleagues and I will definitely be back because I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a bay & city view and it was gorgeous waking up to the sunrise over the city a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business