“First visit as a Hilton”

Hilton Mumbai International Airport
Ranked #28 of 453 Hotels in Mumbai
Rossendale, UK
“First visit as a Hilton”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is my first visit since the hotel changed from a Starwood Hotel to a Hilton.

The hotel has not changed too much. The rooms are very comfortable and everything works. It has a very nice boutique feel, and I like the willing service. I have used the hotel in the past because it provides a nice introduction to India, and to date, I have not come across a guest who has had any trouble adjusting to the food, or any problems after visiting the hotel.

I did have a problem on this visit that would prevent me from returning, and offer this as a caution to others.

The hotel does (now) seem to go out of its way to try to confirm your exact arrival time. I checked in twice, once from Dubai at approx. 4am, the second from Ahmedabad at approx. 8pm.

The early morning arrival at 4am was no problem, I had booked the hotel for the night before, and my room was ready immediatley on arrival, as it should have been.

The 8pm arrival was a problem, I suspect because those leaving for overnight flights has not left yet. However I had pre-paid, so I should not have been waiting for a guest to check-out, my room should have been blocked off at my check in time. A request to see the manager solved the problem within 15 minutes, but I was left with the feeling that the hotel is maximising occupancy at my cost. Other guests, perhaps less well travelled, had to wait for a room past 9pm that night.

I should say of course, that perhaps I was unlucky, maybe this has never happened before, and will never happen again. No doubt this is not a problem when the hotel is not fully booked. Maybe the hotel was trying to be helpful and allowed too many late check-outs. Still after staying in 100s of hotel over a 20 years period this is only the second time that a pre-paid booking has not been honoured in full, so I take a dim view of it.

A pity, but after a long flight from Europe or America, you need to know a booking is a booking, with 100% certainty, based on my experience I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: The big problem is that even with a pre-paid booking you cannot be sure of a room being available at...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank RallyMonkey
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear RallyMonkey,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport, it is a pleasure to know that you still found the hotel to be comfortable and service commendable since your previous visits.

I do, however, sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced upon your night arrival. While I am happy to note that this situation was promptly resolved for you, I also agree that your pre-paid booking should have been honoured. Please rest assured that my team is aware of this matter and will spare no efforts on improving our processes and communications for the benefit of all our guests.

We truly appreciate your constructive feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next in Mumbai.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly through my details below should you be planning your next trip or have further feedback.

Vikas Kapai
(+91 22 2926 2601 / vikas.kapai@hilton.com)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Cancelled flight brought me to the Hilton at Mumbai international airport. Greeted with a quick "booked full" initially, but someone in charge took it upon herself to find me a room anyhow. After fifteen minutes she had arranged for one. I was happy. The room was fine, with all the trimmings.
Food in the the downstairs all day restaurant was ok, service not too attentive. Business lounge had good service and nice snacks.
In all: no worry stay. Recommended for those who need a convenient airport night waiting for a flight.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have wifi. So be aware of that if you have a laptop without the old fashioned cable op...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Ennea,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport, I am delighted that you were generally happy with the hotel despite your initial wait.

We very much appreciate your feedback on our room, food offering and Business Lounge. We have also taken note of your comment regarding our service and as always, will continue to work hard to provide consistent and high service levels for all our guests.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Mumbai.

San Francisco
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stopped in at this hotel as part of a two week business trip including stays the Courtyard Marriott (Pune) and Taj Lands End (Mumbai) - the Taj definitely lived up to its billing as the best of the three with the Courtyard following behind and the Hilton a distant second.

First, the pros. This is a beautiful ornate hotel with some great classic touches - you really feel transported to an earlier time. The live music was a bit cheesy but a nice touch when you're bored out of your mind at an airport hotel. And finally, proximity to the airport was excellent - it took us 15 minutes with bad traffic to reach the terminal.

The cons were unfortunately pretty big ones. The service is pretty poor - the room we had booked far in advance was not available when checking in at 8p, requiring a wait of about 45 mins with no compensation. The staff also didn't quite seem to follow our questions and responded by repeating the same instructions over. Unfortunately, the restaurant (we tried the indoor/outdoor restaurant downstairs) was terrible. We tried and sent back a white wine which had clearly gone bad (orange in color and bad tasting). My dish also ended up being inedible due to some rancid-tasting parma cheese on top.

All in all an OK hotel for transiting to the airport but otherwise given the high cost and poor service/food I don't see myself staying here in the future....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ofLeisure
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear ofLeisure,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport. While we are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's ambience, we sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced on your arrival and in our restaurant.

We have taken note of your valuable feedback on our service and our restaurant's food offering, and will take steps to rectify these. Indeed, service and food are very important factors of our guests' experience.

We understand your sentiments but at the same time, hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I checked into this hotel today. First, my colleague was upgraded to Club Level while I was not, because they have no smoking rooms on the Club Level. So if you smoke, don't plan on getting any upgrades.

More importantly, I ordered wine from room service. After 45 minutes I called to find out where it was, and was told it would be right up. 15 minutes later I called again, and was finally told that they were out of what I had ordered. I ordered something else, and they agreed it would be right up. 30 minutes later they showed up with something else that was not what I had ordered. More expensive, but not what I ordered. They gave it to me for the price of the original wine, but really at this point I'm just frustrated and irritated with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Asivilli
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Asivilli,

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced so far.

Since you are still staying with us, we will contact you directly to resolve your situation. As always, it is very important to us that our guests are comfortable and satisfied during their stay.

We look forward to meeting you soon.

London
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Is it just me? Other reviewers say it’s great – I come away thinking it’s seriously over-rated.

First – cut it some slack. It’s an airport hotel with huge turnover in guests. And secondly let’s be honest – I wasn’t buying a 36 square metre exec room. With 9 hours to kill I took the bottom rate and got a second floor room. And finally – yes, it was a smoking room but so are the others I stay in so I’m comparing like with like.

The corridors are cramped. The carpets feel more mushy than soft and the joins up the middle (of the carpets) are struggling for their freedom. The room was probably once very nice but it has seen better days. Nothing actually bad about it and nothing missing but not much good either. And, although it was clean, there was a faint air of grubbiness about its aging fixtures. The room had frayed at the edges – furniture scratched/flexes making escape attempts from lamps/power points working intermittently - and that’s the feeling I got in the whole place. (With quality antique furniture wear could be described as patina – here it’s just wear.)

Breakfast doesn’t match other (cheaper) metro hotels I stayed in on the same visit: décor only OK and the fayre average - it felt slightly mean. Nit-picking here I know -but plastic butter pats at a supposedly 5 star hotel?

Finally the staff: friendly and fine. I think some of their feedback mechanisms may be good: the hotel driver having heard my views certainly gave the impression that he would feed back. Shame that the checkout staff hadn’t bothered asking the same questions…

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Springburn
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Springburn,

Thank you for your candid review of Hilton Mumbai International Airport.

Your constructive feedback has given us plenty of insights on the areas we can further improve. We wholeheartedly agree that every detail counts in contributing towards our guests' satisfaction, from the carpets, fixtures and furniture to our breakfast offering and pro-active service. We are, at the same time, pleased that you found the team to be friendly.

Rest assured that we are taking your comments seriously because it is feedback such as yours that will only help us to strive to make our hotel, service and product offerings even better.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.