“July 2012 Business stay”

Lakeside Chalet, Mumbai - Marriott Executive Apartments
Ranked #1 of 562 Speciality Lodging in Mumbai
London, United Kingdom
“July 2012 Business stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I travelled to Powai for work for the entire month of July 2012 and work had booked a one bedroom Marriott Lakeside Chalet apartments for me.

Apart from a small issue with the internet, everything was as I expected from a 4 star property apart from the slightly dated decor. I have other colleagues who were booked into regular Renaissance hotel rooms (within same complex about 200 yds up the drive), their rooms were much more modern and had snazzy gadgets which the Marriott property lacked - the cost was the same for the new Renaissance hotel room or spacious one bedroom Marriott apartment on our corporate rate.

The 200yd walk from the Marriott lobby to the Renaissance lobby can be avoided by taking a complimentary tuktuk! As I went in monsoon season, whenever I got caught out the doormen will either call for the tuktuk man, get me a brolly or a hotel car will ferry me in between the hotels.

Why would one head up to the Renaissance rather than hang around Marriott? Well they're withi the same group of hotels, so all the facilities are shared. The Marriott houses more long term residents and has less atmosphere and facilities. For example, I'd use the Renaissance gym and pool every other day (free with access to steam room & jacuzzi), as no-one uses the Marriott pool and it didn't look clean when I walked around it. There is also a bar, night club (Wed to Sat I think), multiple restaurants with lake views and a sandwich shop at the Renaissance; the Marriott only has Crimson restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch & dinner (one selected theme nights, I've never seen anyone eat there on a regular evening). Although their themed nights are awesome, pirate night had the staff decked out in various outfits complete with eye patches & fake hooks.

I had a one bedroom apartment on the 5th floor with a partial view of Lake Powai. Amogh was efficient in dealing with check in. One thing I enjoyed was that the reception staff remembered who I was and would always great me by name morning and night. It felt homely and welcoming. Special thanks also to Kumron and Jayesh as they were both helpful on reception and the breakfast service respectively.

As a traveller from the UK, I worried about the right adapters for India. I had bought a world plug adapter at Heathrow airport, but found that the pins didn't fit. Fortunately in the bedroom I found 4 univeral wall sockets by the TV, which took my UK 3 pin plugs and charged everything perfectly. WiFi was fast and reliable.

Marriott provides free bottles of Bisleri water, as well as aloe vera shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap. So you don't need to rush to the supermarket (closest one is Haiko in Hirandani Gardens) to grab essentials on the first day. A complimentary laundry room is available on every floor (2 washing machines & 2 dryers). It was a godsend for casual items. I used the laundry service for my work clothes, which I'd recommend as the cost was reasonable and I didn't have to iron!

I discovered their games room a bit late, although there are plans to revamp it and include more than just table tennis and a chess board in the future. So when I next visit, I'd expect to see at least a PlayStation or Wii in there.

In the evenings when I was at a loose end and was bored of hanging with my colleagues near work or at the Renaissance A Bar, I'd go to R City Mall about 10-15mins drive away. It's a huge mall that has everything, cinema (check out their Bollywood movies), food court, Western & local shops, TGI Fridays(!) and a supermarket. There is always something going on in the lobby, like a cable show preview. This was the closest comfortable place for a single foreign female to wander around without getting gawped at from the locals. As there isn't anywhere closer to the hotel to hang out, it is surrounded by roadside food stalls frequented by local men. Even at Powai Plaza and the Galleria in Hirandani Gardens 10mins drive away, I experienced uncomfortable gawping from both men and women when I was alone without my Indian colleagues.

In summary, staff service is great. Breakfasts and dinners I took at the Crimson were delicious. Room service was fast. Facilities as a serviced apartment were as expected for this star level.

Room Tip: Higher floors are brighter
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hellobayo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was forced to stay there as it was the only place that offered apartments up to Western standards and security close to my work. I was there with my wife for four months.

Although my company paid for my room charges they are a small outfit so allocate me a budget. Anything over I need to cover.

She and I both hated it a the Marriott compound.

For me, more than what's normally required in India, it was a constant and vigilant exercise to check, argue, check for bogus charges or removing charges that were agreed as complimentary with the Sales Manager.

Also in typical local fashion, upon check-in I agreed with the Sales Manager on a rate schedule for the duration of my stay. After one month they increased their rate obstensibly under the guise of 'tax'. It was easy to validate at work and other hotels that the 'tax' was a surcharge. I came to realise Marriott were very diligent tax collectors!

Typical Scams were:
- Transfer my charges from Renaissance to Marriott. They charge my company but then carry the balance over to the room charges at the Marriott. Possible double charge to my company.
- Charge for power adaptors when it's free.
- Press the Room Service button in the telephone and it goes to an outside line dial tone. I told Front Desk many times to fix it but it generates good unverifiable revenue. Imagine families with kids.
- Surcharges disguised as taxes.
- Sales Manager saying something is complimentary i.e. airport transfers but then you to sign for it in the car and it gets added to your bill.
- I provide them with a credit card authorisation with a maximum charge amount based on the convoluted room charge calculations but they proceed charge more. My company reported this transaction to the credit provider as fraudulent transaction.

Other Dislikes
- Wife felt like a caged animal as it's not possible to open the windows.
- Air-Con only knows one freezing temperature.
- Bad odour and smell in the bathroom.
- Old power points that aren't even compatible with the Indian plug.
- Two of my singlets were accidentally stolen by the housekeeping staff when it got wrapped up in the bed linen. No incident report and no recovery.

List goes on but what can be done with a monopoly setup.

Needless to say once the wife went home early I moved to something better and cheaper in Hiranandani closer to work.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Woojin
Jomy A, Resident Service Manager at Lakeside Chalet, Mumbai - Marriott Executive Apartments, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing the Marriott Executive Apartments on Trip Advisor. As I understand that this stay with us was not upto the mark due to a variety of reasons, do give us a chance to correct the incorrect. On speaking to the Director of Finance who has personally met you, the tax structure was systematically explained as it was already in place. We regret that this time we did not live up to your expectations of conductively explaining the same to you, however moving forward we have briefed our team to be informative about explaining this tax structure for our guests overall satisfaction.
Do write into me for any further queries and I would be delighted to serve.

Warm Regards,
Jomy Abraham
Resident Services Manager
Email: jomy.abraham@renaissancehotels.com
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and me stayed with our newborn (born by surrogacy) in Marriott executive apartments Lakeside Chalet from December 29th 2011 to January 30th2012. We were expecting a very good stay in this apartment before our departure but unfortunately it was the worst experience we lived in a ``luxurious`` hotel.
Let me to describe our stay.
Marriott Lakeside Chalet executive apartments offers apartments for short or long term in particular for couples who have a baby by surrogacy. Marriott Lakeside Chalet executive apartments are situated in a large domain owned by Marriott which also manages the luxurious Renaissance hotel. In the Lakeside Chalet we pay the same luxurious taxes (23 %) than Renaissance but the quality was pitiful.
•Apartments are very small ( 2 rooms + a bathroom and a small kitchen).
•There was a very old and dirty carpet on the floor.
•The walls were not soundproof. We listened neighbours when they slammed the heavy doors or when they made love.
•Bathroom was an old system which recycles water. During the night, there was a sewer odor in the bathroom and each time someone flushed the wc, it was very noisy.
•During the first two weeks, AC didn’t work. It was very cold and my wife and me got a cold and fever.
•During all our stay they did renovations in several apartments. For that they used from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm pneumatic hammers. It was impossible to stay in the apartment and our newborn cried a lot. They didn’t give us a discount for that.
•They always organised parties for companies or weddings and the music was so loudly that our newborn cannot sleep. During these weddings and parties, it was impossible to use the swimming pool or other spaces outside Lakeside Chalet apartments.Management didn’t care about couples or other people who stayed for short or long term.

My advice : I do not suggest to anybody in the world to go in Mariott Lakeside Chalet executive apartments.

GT

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Gaepowai11
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I've been staying in the Marriott Apartments for 13 months so far, out of a 14 month work visit to Mumbai. The place feels like home, with really friendly and helpful staff.

My room is well-equipped. There is a lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. The lounge and bedroom both contain large flat screen tv's and there's also a DVD player in the room. Many of the rooms are newly refurbished, and i'd advise you to request one of those if staying here. The decor is more modern than the older rooms, and they are better equipped. The bathrooms in the refurbished rooms contain a spacious walk-in shower, but no bath like the older rooms. Also, there's a choice of rooms overlooking the entrance/driveway or the lake - the lake view is nicer. Rooms on the 5th floor or above look above the trees, with wide views of the lake.

During my stay, there have been a few issues with my room (mostly due to the weather conditions in Mumbai). E.g. damp in my room during the monsoon season, and a leaky air-conditioning unit caused by the a/c being turned off. In these situations, the hotel staff were really quick and willing to help. They moved my belongings to a new room while the air-conditioning issue was resolved, and placed a de-humidifier unit in my room to resolve the damp problem.

Although Mumbai is really noisy, with busy traffic, the apartments are in a secluded quiet spot, so you can't hear any of the outside noise. The apartments and Renaissance hotel are enclosed in scenic grounds containing a tennis court (including free tennis coach) & 2 outdoor swimming pools. If staying at the Marriott Apartments, you get free access to the Renaissance gym, jacuzzi, steam room and 20% off food and spa facilities (which provide great massages). The food is nice, with lots of variety on the room service menu. In the main hotel, there are Italian, Indian and Chinese restaurants, along with 2 cafes. Every wednesday, in the Marriott restaurant there is a themed food night, e.g. Mexican, French, Thai etc. This event offers unlimited food and alcohol for approximately £15. The breakfast chefs are also happy to accommodate any special requests.

Alcohol is very expensive here (equivalent to some expensive bars in London). The management said that the prices are competitive with other 5 star hotels in the area, but i have observed alcoholic drinks much cheaper elsewhere.

Washing machines and dryers on each floor make domestic chores easy.

This place is convenient for the airport (approximately 30 minutes drive), but not convenient for sightseeing in the most touristy part of Mumbai (South Mumbai - 1-2 hours drive away depending on time of day and traffic!).

The rooms are cleaned everyday, but to be honest, this is not as thorough as i would like. Perhaps the dust is due to the building work/refurbishments.

Overall I've enjoyed my time here, have felt at home and would recommend this place to anyone on business.
Thank you to the friendly staff, especially the breakfast waiters, who have our usual breakfast ready for us, and often have run after us with take-away tea's, when we've been rushing off to work!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank danandemma1
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Im staying here for 8 month (half passed). Im very happy with the location. Inside the resort you feel like at home, very clean, calm at night (no honking etc.) you find all amenities and have a nice view (lake).

For any sports enthusiasts (like me, jogging, swimming, biking) its a great place to stay as you find everything near by. Yes, you can go biking here. OK, its a bit more like hill riding (up and down) but you can go and ride outside. However, I would not recommend to ride on the main roads due the the poor street quality/driving approaches.

The only thing which could be improved are:
- Service, waiters tend to forget orders or sometimes you get the impression that they just don't care that you sit there to be served (when the room is empty...)
- Internet, its not included and costs a fortune. This is to my understanding a service to be included for all Hotels/Service Apartments at that level (4-5 stars). No excuse

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business