“Mumbai - unique, interesting and invaluable with help from BravoBombay”
Review of Bravo Bombay

Bravo Bombay
Ranked #9 of 103 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Owner description: We love Bombay (aka Mumbai), a city with a pulse so strong you will feel it the minute you exit the airport. At 'Bravo Bombay' we wish accompany you to show you around our city, share its history and anecdotes. Get to know you a little better and tell you a little about us. Our tours are guided, informational and conversational.
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mumbai - unique, interesting and invaluable with help from BravoBombay”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Bravo Bombay can cater for the tourist wishing to see Mumbai either on a brief visit or in more depth. Guided tours are particularly useful as signs are few, the new visitor is unlikely to know the etiquette, visitors may have anxieties over security and getting around can be tricky initially.
Hemali the proprietor of Bravo Bombay enables the visitor to see many of the sights in a short period of time and is flexible about itinary according to the requirements of the visitor; the markets, the fishing village, the water tank, hanging gardens , Chatapati Shivaji railway terminus can all be seen.
For the visitor who would like to have more of an interactive experience with some of the people then Bravo Bombay is ideal. Hemali’s command of the English language and a number of local languages, knowledge of the city and her easy rapport with people make the dharavi ‘slum’ tour and dhobi ghat visits memorable. It is rare for foreigners in any country to be able to see its citizens hard at work informally and be able to ask questions.
Hemali will also instruct when photographs can be taken and when it is not permitted. The dignity of its people can be preserved. Dhravi contrasted with a visit to Mani Bhavan, Ghand-ji’s former home and visits to elaborate temples.
Preliminary contact by email or phone with Bravo Bombay will give the visitor a feel for what they might wish to see and either specific tours can be booked in advance or organised on a more ad hoc basis. Hemali responds quickly to requests and suggestions.
Bravo Bombay is highly recommended and provides an invaluable insight into a thriving city and its people. Hemali made the visitor feel comfortable with the surroundings thus enabling a fuller experience of Mumbai.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

“Great introduction to the living side of Mumbai!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Bravo Bombay was a great, and time-efficient introduction to the human aspects of Mumbai. This probably is not the best bet for people who mostly want to hang out in museums. But, I would highly recommend Bravo Bombay to a visitor, especially a first time one, who wants to start to get a feel for life in this utterly amazing city. Spending a day wandering the city with an especially outgoing, thoughtful, articulate, and pleasant local--Hemali, the company's founder--was one of the highlights of a great three-week trip to India. I had stumbled across Bravo Bombay's web-site when I was planning my trip, and when the company was later enthusiastically recommended by someone I figured it was worth a try. Good move. I wish I had had this option in some of the other cities I visited, where interaction with someone like Hemali would have added a lot of context and understanding. As a first-time visitor to India, As I traveled around the country I often found myself searching for both.

Saskatoon, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hemali welcome us to Mumbai with open arms!”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I were in Mumbai for 3 days after a 2 month journey through Tanzania and Southern India. We emailed Hemali a few days before we arrived and arranged a half day tour . We to,d her we wanted to see parts of Mumbai that we wouldn't see on our own. She was very prompt in replying to emails and made great suggestions of places we could visit. The day started by meeting her on the Causeway near our hotel, we hopped in a cab and we hit it off instantly. Hemali is what makes the tour so special she is so warm to everyone she comes across and she loves her city and knows it like the back of her hand. The first stop was the Dhobi Ghats, the open air hand washed laundry area. It was really incredible to see the men washing the clothing till it is sparkling clean. Hemali has connected with some of the people who work in the laundry and is always welcomed with big smiles. We walked through the area and came across the men who iron the saris in a truly unique way. After the Dhobis we went to see the fisherman warf area where the boats are made and the daily fish comes to be brought in from this point you have a view of some of the most expensive real estate in the world alongside the slums. We visited Mumbai University, we weren't allowed in the grounds because of the high security since the 2008 bombings, those ver we could still see the beautiful buildings. We walked by the Oval Maiden, where you will always see several games of cricket being played. Victoria station was a highlight for my husband, he was really interested in the trains and the amount of people that can fit in one train! We visiting the station midday and a slow time and there was still an incredible amount of people. Finally Hemali took us to the Hare Krisna, Iskon temple. This was really incredible because we were really welcomed by all the people at the temple. We experienced the beautiful temple, the incredible chanting and music, warm people and a amazing free lunch. The tour was one of our greatest days in India. We learned a lot about the city, the people, and the history of the city. Hemali also gave us several suggestions for restaurants, shopping and other places we could visit on our own. I highly recommend the tour for anyone visiting Mumbai.

Castle Rock
“Fabulous time! I experienced much of Mumbai and made a new friend along the way.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I contacted Bravo Bombay in January when I learned I would be taking a trip to India for business. It was my first trip to India and I only had a few days of personal time to work with. I wanted to take in as much of the city as I could yet I was a bit cautious about touring as a solo female tourist. My decision to call Bravo Bombay and meeting Hemali was the best decision I could have made!

Hemali was my guide and since she is native to Mumbai/Bombay she knew of all the right places to go. She also was very open to all of my questions and I learned so much from her about what I was seeing as the days progressed. Not only did she talk with me about what I was seeing but we also got in to great discussion on local politics, religions of the area, history behind the country, etc.

Hemali helped me decide what to see and she openly adjusted the plans to meet my interests. For instance, when we were going to the bazaars, I asked to buy silk so instead of taking me to a big open market she guided us to a little shop out of the way that had all types of silk that were all made by the family who runs the store. If a bolt runs out of fabric that's it - since it was hand made there wasn't just another lot to pull out.

I initially took two tours with Hemali - the full day city tour and then the 1/2 day slum tour. I never once felt unsafe. Hemali arranged the a/c cab on the first two days and on the third day we decided to experience the trains and walking paths. I had so much fun with her that the next weekend I returned again and took an additional full day tour to the local flower market, shopping, etc.

Another thing I really appreciated was how in tune Hemali was with my concerns regarding food. She took me to little out of the way places for different meals and for chai - she always made sure they were sanitary and safe restaurants. This made it so I could really enjoy the local food without worries of getting ill. If I reached for something that wasn't good for me she quickly steered me away from it.

If you are going to Mumbai whether for half a day or a weekend, I absolutely recommend Hemali and Bravo Bombay.

Thanks for the memories Hemali!

Lori

Visited February 2012
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Would highly recommend Bravo Bombay”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

E-mailed Hemali a week before our visit to Mumbai and booked a one day city tour for my wife and I. Having been picked up at our hotel at 0930 we were driven into the centre where are tour began.  The first couple of hours was spent visiting the real touristy spots - Victoria Terminus, Gateway of India, Taj Mahal Hotel , Marine Drive and many more. Then we went off the beaten track and saw the Dhobi Ghat (open laundry) and Baan Ganga (sacred water tank) and finished off the morning at Lord Krishna's Iskon temple, where we joined in a service and were invited to share lunch with the worshippers. In the afternoon my wife wanted to shop, so Hemali took us to Crawford Market and escorted us around the neighbouring streets to buy spices and fabrics. Nothing was too much for Hemali - her knowledge of the city was second to none, she was thoughtful to our needs and considerate to my poor wife (who was suffering with a bad tummy and lack of sleep). We saw so,so much in one day and a great mix of the 'must sees' and some real special moments like at the Krishna temple. For a truely professional, personalised tour of Mumbai go no further than calling Bravo Bombay.   Rob & Brenda -  Chelmsford, UK