“Rewarding and insightful!”

Raconteur Walks Mumbai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Started to, for and by the love of Mumbai, Raconteur Tours Mumbai is this city's biggest name in tourism. Providing guests many ways of seeing Mumbai city since 2010, we specialize in providing walk tours, city tours by car/coach, cycling tours, sailing tours and tourism experiences like the dabbawallas, dhobi ghat, malkhamb yoga, street food tours and many more. Dont just 'see' Mumbai, 'Live' Mumbai with Raconteur Tours Mumbai
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

This week we took the walking tour of Mumbai and found the experience to completely fulfill our expectations. I love the idea of having students as your guides, whom we found highly informed and passionate about their city. Our guide, Rucha, was all of these things. She provided the relevant political context to understand the architectural and cultural attractions she showed us. She was also sufficiently flexible to adjust the tour to suit the interests of my two teenage daughters wife and adult friends. The streets of Mumbai can be very hectic and rucha was very attentive to ensuring that we were safe and sound. I highly recommend raconteur walking tours!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

I took three wonderful tours with Raconteur – Heritage (Omkar), Apollo Gate (Nihar), and Bandra (Sunita). Omkar is a Mumbai University student who is studying history, and hopes to become a professor, which is fitting, because his knowledge of Mumbai history and Mumbai today seemed to be comprehensive. Nihar shared a number of stories related to the Apollo Gate area, which is an area that more people should see. There is a lot of interesting history (which Nihar brought to life) and while it’s just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of Mumbai, when we were there, it was quite peaceful. And Bandra, while some distance from South Mumbai (30 minutes, in the morning), is worth the trip. The area is rich in history (more than 100 churches) and Sunita covered the highlights as we traversed a number of different neighborhoods. The tour concluded at the Bandra Fort, which is a beautiful setting (I hung around after and read newspapers in a nearby garden). All three tours contained so much information I was glad I had a pen and paper handy for taking notes!

At the conclusion of each tour, the guides gave out a set of postcards that contain historic old photos of Mumbai. A very nice touch.

A special shout-out to Ashkay, who very patiently replied to my countless emails about logistics.

1  Thank lancerodman
Reviewed 7 January 2017

As I was sat in McDonald's garden waiting for my guide for the Church Gate and Heritage Mile Walk I suddenly realised that the sugar cane store holder lived under a tarpaulin attached to the back of the stall. Welcome to raw Mumbai.

There were three of us on the tour and our guide Viraat. Who was also the CEO. He had a bottle of water for each of us.

I then spent a very enjoyable and informative morning wandering through that part of Mumbai soaking up the history. We passed the Oval where the local authority is vandalising the lovely common open space to build a metro station for rich people.

As a bonus Viraat stopped at a street food vendor and we tried a selection of local snacks.

The tour ended at Marine Drive just by Churchgate station.

My second tour was to have been the Bandra, The Queen of Suburbs Walk but that was cancelled at short notice and I was transferred from a 0830 start to a 1600 start. The afternoon I had already got booked elsewhere. I got a refund but was very disappointed.

My tip; McDonald’s opens at 0700. You can sit safely in the garden enjoying a clean, cool environment and coffee

Reviewed 6 January 2017

We did this on the 24th of Dec 2016 at 0830 hrs & our raconteur for the day was Omkar Salunkhe ... the walk took us a little more than 3 hrs & we loved every moment of it!
Old Bombay abounds in history ... while walking the perfect avenues & streets of Ballard Estate, we were like transported to a Victorian era almost 350 years old. This walk covers the northern part of old 'Fort' with the history of many iconic architecture including that of George Wittet. My wife & myself both being Architects could connect very well to this narration. Our 10 year old kid found the history fascinating ... especially the anecdotes which Omkar mentioned from time to time ... Catching Bombay - the maximum city which purportedly never sleeps - in its early morning hours ... with its deserted streets still covered in a thin veil of fog - offered an additional bonus of capturing some mesmeric cityscapes ... few of which I intend to paint sometime:)
Thanks to Raconteur for a lovely pre-Christmas time!
Sagnik

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 4 January 2017

OK, I can live with people not wanting to provide their services, but find it a bit rude that having promised to call back to arrange a time/date for a walk Akshay at Raconteur never got back (or indeed took my call). They might be good but that is no excuse for sheer lack of professionalism!