“A bit too brief”

Raconteur Walks Mumbai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Started to, for and by the love of Mumbai, Raconteur Tours Mumbai is this city's biggest name in tourism. Providing guests many ways of seeing Mumbai city since 2010, we specialize in providing walk tours, city tours by car/coach, cycling tours, sailing tours and tourism experiences like the dabbawallas, dhobi ghat, malkhamb yoga, street food tours and many more. Dont just 'see' Mumbai, 'Live' Mumbai with Raconteur Tours Mumbai
Reviewed 13 January 2016

I had a pleasant enough tour. The guide was pleasant and knowledgeable enough it just finished at 'half time'. I did the "The Apollo Gate and Front Bay Walk" which is advertised as " Approx walking time : 3hrs" sadly it was over in 1 hour 18 minutes.

I did email the company but didn't get a reply. I was hoping to do some more of their tours.

My Tip: The meeting place has "Alexandra Dock" inscribed in stone above the green gate.

1  Thank Richard_in_England
RaconteurWalks, Owner at Raconteur Walks Mumbai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your rating and bringing to our notice the short duration of your tour.

I agree the duration of your tour has been shorter than our standard tours and lieu of that may I offer you the same tour with another more qualified Raconteur. Denure is one of the newer Raconteur and hence is a bit raw. Alternatively if you have left India I can also refund your money if you so choose.

My apologies for not replying to your mail, being season time we are dealing with a huge rush and hence it got overlooked. I will get our Operations team to reply to you immediately.

The reason we dont mention Alexandra dock in our emails as the meeting point is because most taxi drivers in Mumbai have not heard of that name and hence in the past have taken our guests to the wrong location. A few years ago we used to mention alexandra dock gate as the meeting point but becuase of this problem we stopped doing so.

I hope this answers your grievances.

Warm Regards,
Viraat Kasliwal
Founder & CEO
Raconteur Walks Mumbai

Reviewed 3 January 2016

I will remember the storied history of South Mumbai and especially its buildings thanks to the guide, who was very informative. Not for young kids though - we had a 9 year old - who quickly lost interest and started becoming naughty.

I learned why Bombay was called so by the Portugese, the great fire in the port that caused gold to rain down and the old churches and buildings. I am sure I forgot quite a bit, but that's why it would be fun to go again. I liked the fact that the guide had a book of pictures that augmented the history. In the same vein, I think the tour could be enhanced with a few more props, e.g., old coins and/or replicas of period clothes or artefacts. That way younger audiences can probably connect better.

1  Thank safaari
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Was in Mumbai for two days, decided to do a heritage walk. Faced with a couple of options, I am really glad that we chose Raconteur Walks! Dwane, our guide, was the perfect walking companion. He was passionate about the subject, extremely knowledge, a gracious host and a warm human being. Thanks to Dwayne and Raconteur Walks, we saw historic "Bombay" from a street perspective and came away both illuminated and happy.

1  Thank Suresh C
Reviewed 19 November 2015

We took this walk on a day which started drizzling and turned into a monsoon deluge: never been this wet! Our guide was great and fortunately we had virtually completed the walk before the heavy rains came. We learnt a lot and furthermore we revisited a lot of the buildings on subsequent days, remembering the history of each building. We found it a very interesting introduction to Mumbai (we had just arrived) to the area, its history, development and background of individual buildings. Strongly recommend.

1  Thank MargaretJay
Reviewed 17 November 2015

Excellent. Our guide-raconteur Dwayne was knowledgeable, affable and courteous. Got to know a lot about the history of my own adopted city.