“Book a tour. Do it right away”

Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours
US$ 19.50*
Mumbai in Motion: Mumbai Sightseeing Tour by Public Transportation
Ranked #1 of 103 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi Slum Tour that shows visitors the industrial and residential areas of one of Asia’s largest slums, located in the heart of Mumbai. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours and we recently expanded to New Delhi and the Sanjay Colony Slum. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi.
New York City, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Book a tour. Do it right away”
Reviewed 12 February 2016

I am recently coming off of the most incredible two week adventure of my life. I booked a tour with Reality Tours for many reasons. This is company that gives so much back to its community. If you want to experience the Rajasthan region of India, or even just a day tour in India, the real India, then you must book with Reality. From the moment my group and I met with our tour guide, Krishna, I was blown away by this tour. Within moments we were traveling as a family and every moment was incredible. In 14 full on action packed days, I have stayed in 7 different cities and I feel as if I have seen more of India than most people will ever see in a life time. I have seen places that have torn my heart out and in the same day seen places that filled me up until my cup ran over. I have been on almost every single mode of transportation: Buses, local trains, long distance trains, Camels (owned and truly cared for by a local family), Rickshaws, Cycle Rickshaws, Elephants (from an ethical organization), jeeps, Planes, cars, and I'm sure there were more. I have eaten more delicious food than I even knew was possible. Roof top restaurants, grimy little local places that I would have never gone in other wise, dinner in the homes of two different local families, and even tried so many street food items that I probably would have walked right by if Krishna hadn't been there to tell me it was delicious and I needed to try it. He even arranged a cooking class for us and we learned so much about how to prepare the local cuisine, and of course we got to eat the food from our studies. I have felt emotions that I still don't have the words to describe and my last 14 days have been filled to the absolute brim. This is not your normal tour company and this is not your average tour. Krishna attended to every single one of our needs from transportation, bookings, questions, making sure we saw every possible site and piece of Rajasthan we could possibly squeeze into 14 days. He was even the official group photographer and shared them all with us daily. If you are seeking a laid back, relaxing holiday then this is probably not the company for you. However, if you are seeking an adventurous, filled to the brim, emotional and absolutely incredible tour inside the real beating heart of India, then Reality Tours is just the company for you. Whether you are in Mumbai or Delhi for just a few days and would like to do a day tour in Dharavi, or full of street food, or any other of their day tours offered; or if you would like to spend your entire holiday on a tour, I suggest heading to their website right now and finding one (or two) that suits you. Once you learn about all of the ways that this company is giving back to their communities and helping so many people through their tours and their Reality Gives projects, and once you give in to actually wanting to experience the beating heart of this region, this will be the only company you want to show you around. Trust me. Why are you still reading? Go to their website.

1 Thank ShannaR3
Paul W, CEO at Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this review, 10 March 2016
WOW!!!!! Thank you SO much for such a detailed and positive review here. It was a pleasure to meet you also in Delhi where it was obvious you had enjoyed the tour around Rajasthan and your time with Krishna. We thoroughly enjoyed showing you around India and would love to welcome you back hopefully soon. Thanks again for the words here and your support for our community projects.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very interesting visit of the Dharavi slum ”
Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Professional. Very interesting. 2 hours of walking inside the slum.

We learn many stuffs about the slum. The community. The way of living there. See the industries inside. How they work.
Lot of explanations.

Very nice tour.
I recommend it!
Alex

Visited February 2016
Pleased to read such comments and thank you for supporting our community programs in Dharavi
BC
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Four Reality Tours, all worthwhile”
Reviewed 11 February 2016

We did four tours with Reality Tours and Travel last week during a visit to Mumbai. We started with the evening tour with Jitu. He was very gentle, and gave us excellent background information about the Koli, Parsi and Jain. The next morning we did the Local Transport Tour with Bipin, and this was our favourite of all. He was a most engaging, knowledgeable and helpful guide. That afternoon we did the market tour with Chetan, and while it was very interesting, the afternoon heat, dust and crowds grew a bit tiring. We finished with the Dharavi slum tour with Akash, which was again excellent, though by this time, the poverty did not seem so striking. All the guides spoke English very well, were punctual and very accommodating. We would highly recommend all these tours.

1 Thank happywandererBC
I love to read when people have booked several tours with us and enjoyed them all. Thank you so much. Each one we feel provides a different insight into Mumbai and life in India so great to see the positive reviews here. The fun of sampling Mumbai's local transport is definitely one I agree with!
Mackay, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Slum Tour”
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Had a great walk today with our guide Ajay. He was very knowledgeable and made the tour enjoyable. He went out of his way after the tour to take us to a Southern Indian restaurant. High recommend.

Visited February 2016
Great to read you not only enjoyed your tour of Dharavi but our guide helped you after to get some food. We do try and provide this extra touch where possible so pleased to see this.
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Just mind blowing. ”
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

I never knew that a slum could be so amazing. So many different peoples and areas. Whole industrial areas that make things from plastic to aluminium. The tour was great and our guide Ajay was just amazing. He knew his stuff and took us on an awesome path through the slum. I highly recommend and advise you to try get Ajay to show you around. Great day

Visited February 2016
Dharavi is amazing we would agree with that! Thank you for this and your comments on Ajay have been passed to him.