“Kerala trip par exellence”

Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours
US$ 29.00*
Mumbai Bicycle Tour
Ranked #1 of 109 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi Slum Tour that shows visitors the industrial and residential areas of one of Asia’s largest slums, located in the heart of Mumbai. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours and we recently expanded to New Delhi and the Sanjay Colony Slum. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi.
Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

If you are wondering if you should go on a Kerala trip with Reality or not... I'm telling you- you should! :) I will remember the trip for the rest of my life. It is very well organized, you will see and experience all the important things in Kerala in a very interesting, but still quite relaxed manner. With relaxed I mean not crazy-hectic-turistic manner, but the days are still nicely busy. The trip offers it all, palaces, gardens, beaches, mountains, nice guest houses, run by kind and warm people, good food (and an opportunity to learn how to eat with your hands! :)), comfortable traveling.. But the best of it is the heart and soul of Reality Tours- the guide(s). Not only you get guideing at palaces and temples. You get stories of India, stories of people and stories of life. One of the best trips I have ever had! Thank you so much!

Paul W, CEO at Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2016

Wow. Thank you so much! Great to hear you enjoyed our regional 10-day tour of Kerala. It's one of my favourite parts of India for the same reasons of the variety of landscape and activities on offer. And our founder-guide Krishna loves to show our passengers through his home region. Thank you once again for your comments and support for our projects by coming on tour.

Reviewed 6 January 2016

I did the Dharavi tour with Jitu, who was warm, funny, and knowledgeable. I'll never be the same after visiting this slum. I saw extremely poor human conditions (lack of sanitation, small living spaces, garbage, and unfortunate factory environments) simultaneously with strong community ties, an enterprising spirit, resourcefulness, and interdependence. I felt very safe the entire time. Children ran up to me to say "Hi!" No one begged or treated me disrespectfully. The profits from this tour fund a community center (aka a school) in the slum and this is helping to improve lives. I'm very glad I did the tour, even though it was hard to see. Take hand sanitizer and closed shoes. Don't do the tour if you are sick or not fit.

Thank you so much and great to read Jitu did such a good job showing the reality of life inside Dharavi. The community spirit and friendliness you mention is something we receive on a daily basis. By coming on tour you are also directly supporting our community centre you enjoyed visiting through our 80% profits pledge so thank you once again.

Reviewed 6 January 2016

I work with a travel outfit myself and had the pleasure of working with reality tours during one of our trips.

The staff at reality tours is really good, very good English skills, polite and ready to answer any question thrown at them.

Do highly recommend them even if you're a Mumbaikar yourself

Thank you for your comments. We enjoy receiving visitors from inside the travel industry and recognition from our peers in this way is always encouraging.

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

We visited the Dharavi slum in Jan with kids aged 13,11 and 8 from the UK. We were guided by Nano. This is a really worthwhile and genuinely life affirming activity in Mumbai. The Reality Tours team show you all the life activities and industry within the Dharavi slum and offer an uplifting perspective while also contributing back to the community through their NGO. We were a little concerned that it would feel like voyeurism on people's lives, but it truly did not and Nano's knowledge on the area and its people was first rate. A real eye opener for privileged western kids (and adults)

Paul W, CEO at Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2016

Thank you so much. I love to see families doing the tour and opening their eyes as well as those of the parents. Great to hear your comments on the respectful nature of the tour as is always our prime intention.

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

This tour comes from a good initiative - the tour guide was great and the visit, although fast and somehow script natured - was informative. However we had a bitter end when we found out that people that payed the basic package had access to the car returns. If I had to give advise I would say that the extra 1000 rupees u pay for the red district, clothes washing and car is not worth it, specially if u are traveling with more than one person. You would save a lot of money getting there and returning on your own - the other two attractions offered are not worth the money and the fact that they are a non Profit does not excuse the vast amount of difference between one package and another.

Hello Stephanie. Great to hear you enjoyed your tour overall. Just to clarify we offer several ways of visiting Dharavi to suit the different requirements or interests of our clients. Those comfortable with making their own way to Dharavi can start at nearby Mahim station. You can be escorted by one of our guides by train from Churchgate station near Mumbai's most popular hotel area. Or we offer a vehicle transfer, either from our office shared with other passengers as with your situation I believe, or if a private tour from their hotel or residence. The vehicle transfer does cost extra not only due to the air-conditioned transport involved but also the additional stops and information. It is a little more comfortable and convenient for many people. Not only does it visit Dhobi Ghat and Kamathipura as you mention but you also receive more information about some of Mumbai and India's history, challenges, people and way of life. Passing by many of Mumbai's interesting landmarks and areas also, whilst allowing more time with our local guides for this and any other questions whilst travelling to Dharavi. Those who have not booked this longer tour do not receive car transfers as part of their itinerary therefore as you seem to suggest here. I'm not sure if there was some mis-communication there. Apologies if so but we find this range of options suits the varied interests and wishes of our passengers as I say. We would like to think no one tour is better value than any other in that sense, they are simply different depending on what people wish to get out of their experience. Thank you for bringing this to our attention however so we may continue to assess our communication about the different options. Kind Regards.