“Midnight bike ride, absolutely incredible!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Dharavi Slum Small-Group Tour in Mumbai
Ranked #1 of 89 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi Slum Tour that shows visitors the industrial and residential areas of one of Asia’s largest slums, located in the heart of Mumbai. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours and we recently expanded to New Delhi and the Sanjay Colony Slum. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi.
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Midnight bike ride, absolutely incredible!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2015

I have done both the Dharavi slum tour and the midnight bike tour with Reality and they were both great tours! All the guides are very knowledgable and the tours are well planned and don't feel too 'touristy'.
I went on their first midnight bike tour and it was the most fun, it's so great to be able to see Mumbai by night, you get a whole different perspective. I highly recommend this for everyone visiting Mumbai! Plus you get a delicious breakfast and they take you to a wonderful place to see the sunrise over Mumbai!

Visited January 2015
2 Thank KirstyMP
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent walking tour of slum.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2015

Great walking tour, excellent guides, good insight into the life of people and business aspect of the slums. This company also seems to be doing a lot to help people acquire job/computer/life skills. Would highly recommend.

2 Thank Jo S
hay-on-wye
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Dharavi, sensitively shown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2015

I was very wary of taking this tour, anxious about it being voyeuristic and intrusive, but it was incredibly sensitively handled and I came away thinking the slight intrusiveness was well worth the good that RT&T are doing. Our guide was excellent, himself from a very poor background and a victim of Mumbai's housing crisis - his family were soon to be evicted from their fairly central block of flats to somewhere on the edge of the city.
Most of the Dharavi tour was through the industrial areas, appalling working conditions - very sobering to be reminded how much suffering is involved in provding us with all the junk we feel we need. We were rushed through the alleys of the residential parts so as not to intrude on people too much - it was a kind of hell, and yet there were no beggars and children emerged immaculately dressed in their school uniforms, walking to and from school quite safely and alone, and one felt nothing but awe struck admiration for the people who lived there.
I think my only negative feedback was that it was too cheap. I think they should double what they charge for adults who are earning like us, maybe still keeping the price low for young people. But this is a fantastic organistion.

2 Thank bhojan-yatri
San Diego, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Slums tour and street food tour in Mumbai: Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2015

I did the slums tour in Mumbai. It was an intense experience, but worth it. You see the real Mumbai and our tour guide gave us a lot of explanations and had an answer to all our questions. We walked around the residential and industrial areas, so you really get to see their everyday life.
I also did the street food tour, a little pricey but I got to try food that I wouldn't have tried otherwise, and the company knows the vendors, so it knows that they are clean and that they use purified water. You can eat as much as you want (so make sure you are hungry!!) and they provide water. The price also includes transportation between the street vendors. I would do it again!!
The company gives back money to educating kids in the slums, so it just adds to the awesomeness of the company.

Visited November 2014
2 Thank Cassandra095
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“3 tours in 2 days = Phenomenal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2015

My boyfriend and I had a very limited time in Mumbai and wanted to see as much as possible! Reality tours not only made this possible, but their amazing tour guides made it an unforgettable experience.

We took a half day Dharavi tour (I recommend going for a full day - I wish we had). It was fascinating, beautiful, moving and uplifting.

The following day we did the 6am bike tour which was super intense! It is NOT for beginer bike riders, but if you love a thrill and a little danger - go for it. We saw a lot of Mumbai that we would not have been able to see otherwise. Our tour guide was Suraj, he was awesome! Very informative and kept us safe.

That same evening with our same guide, Suraj, we did the yummy street food tour. I was hesitant at first, but SO HAPPY that we got to try so much amazing food. The street food, which is carefully selected by Reality Tours, was phenomenal. We even had some delicious ice cream from a shop over 100 years old! They sure got it right.

These tours, and their guides, have made me fall in love with India and I would love to come back again and take all their tours!

2 Thank Amber U