“Street Food Tour - a Highlight of Our Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Dharavi Slum Small-Group Tour in Mumbai
Ranked #1 of 89 Tours in Mumbai
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi Slum Tour that shows visitors the industrial and residential areas of one of Asia’s largest slums, located in the heart of Mumbai. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours and we recently expanded to New Delhi and the Sanjay Colony Slum. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi.
Richmond, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Street Food Tour - a Highlight of Our Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We didn’t have time to do the Dharavi slum tour during our brief stay in Mumbai, so we opted instead to do the street food tour on our first evening. It was a wonderful experience, not just brilliant, tasty food, but also a great introduction to life in Mumbai after dark. The whole tour was well organised, with a brief ride on the train to Chowpatty beach, for the first set of snacks, and then a taxi ride to the Muslim district of town for more food, and a walk through streets and markets. We liked the obvious care that had gone into choosing food providers with good hygiene standards, and the bottle of hand sanitizer at the start of the tour is a lovely gesture. Our guide (and I am so sorry that I cannot remember his name) looked after us really well. I cannot recommend this tour too highly: just one word of caution, skip lunch if you are going to do this in the evening, or you won’t be able to do justice to the food!

Visited January 2014
Stephanie H, CEO at Reality Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
So glad you enjoyed our street food tour! Your guide, Asim, was thrilled to hear your positive feedback. We hope that next time you'll have time for the Dharavi tour!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bergen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Better than Taj Mahal! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Thanks to our guide Daia for this incredible tour in the biggest slum in Mumbai. This is a tour you dont want to miss! You have not been in India before you been there. Remember to support the company

Wow! We're not sure we can stand up to the Taj Mahal, but are glad to hear you think so! :)
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellently done.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Very glad that we did the Dharavi slum tour, which was very sensitively done and well led by Sunny, who really knew his stuff. It's worth doing the longer tour, to include transport from South Mumbai, and visits en route. Great value, and a very thought-provoking experience.

Visited January 2014
Thanks for the review! Sunny was happy to hear you enjoyed the tour and found him knowledgable.
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Slums tour and sight seeing tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I'm a female traveling alone and wanted a quick way to see Mumbai as I only had 2 nights here.

Found Reality tours from tripadvisor and decided to book the slum and sight seeing tour for a day.

Throughout the entire trip, I felt really safe!

I had Dinesh(guide) and Shiva(driver) for the day. They were excellent.
Dinesh spoke really good english and was very knowledgable about the history and culture of the slums and Mumbai in general.

I really enjoyed the slums tour as it open your eyes to a different kind of culture and way of life for the people in Mumbai. It's a pity that they have a very strict no photography policy within the slums, thus I couldn't get many pictures out of it!

Don't fret as they will get you to fill up a short survey which will enable you to download pictures of the slums from their database.

After the slums tour, the sight seeing tour starts. As I have seen some of the sights before in Mumbai, both Dinesh and Shiva was very accommodating and brought me to different places which i have never been before.

I didn't wanted lunch as I was too full from breakfast. However I got hungry just before we were heading back, so I asked Dinesh if he could bring me to an Indian restaurant where I could take away food to eat when I'm back at the hotel.

They immediately brought me to a nice restaurant and waited for me to take the food away before sending me back to the hotel.

The only thing is that for the slums and sight seeing tour, they only do private group bookings, thus as a lone traveller, I had to pay the entire fee for the group booking which was really quite costly.

At the end of the day, it was a great trip! I would recommend others booking with Reality tours!

TIP: wear covered shoes ( its gonna get dirty) and bring your own water!

1 Thank Debtng
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“An incredible, not-to-miss experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Reality Dharavi slum tour was definitely one of the most unique and fascinating experiences I've had, not just in India but in my entire life. This tour allowed me to see how the massive operation that is Dharavi operates in an up-close, intimate (our group had just 4 people), respectful and informative way. My guide, Chetan, had tons of knowledge about Dharavi's past and present, could answer every question, and was funny too! Reality's philosophy and mission, the fact that 80% of their profits go to their charity Reality Gives, and the no-photos and small group policies ensure and demonstrate that you're visiting in an appropriate, giving-back type of way. Highly recommended to everyone.

I also did Reality's Street Food and Bike tours. Both were amazing and just as good as the slum tour. We tried so many interesting and incredibly delicious foods on the street food tour--sweet and savory, a huge range of flavors, and a wealth of information about both the foods and otherwise from our excellent guide Asim. Very highly recommended to anyone remotely interested in the food and cuisine of India, as I would never have tried or known to try these foods without Asim's guidance!

The bike tour was a very different and beautiful way to see Mumbai early in the morning. Seeing people sleeping and bathing on the streets, vendors getting ready to sell their produce and goods for the day, bakeries pulling out batches of hot bread from wood-burning ovens, the sunrise over the water by Taj Hotel, etc. The bike tour definitely gives you a unique, previously unseen perspective and view of Mumbai. My guide Manoj was equally hilarious and full of knowledge...a perfect mix of information and humor!

1 Thank gncohen