Book In Advance
Tours from Reality Tours and Travel tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Reality Tours and Travel
from US$ 13.00
from US$ 26.00
from US$ 14.50
from US$ 26.00
1,838 results
All reviews dharavi tour street food tour eye opening public transport tour community center village tour night tour slum life money goes a real eye opener slum dwellers excellent tour real india meeting point small group local transport answered all our questions
Reviewed 5 June 2013

When in Mumbai I highly recommend taking in the Dharavi Long Tour With Reality Tours. I was travelling with my cousin and a friend of hers told us that we should do this tour. I'm glad the friend made the recommendation as I was initially skeptical that a tour of this kind might be exploitive to the inhabitants of the slum.
I could not have been more wrong. Part of the fee goes towards improving the conditions within the slum. Our wonderful guide, Suraj (try and get him if you can) was well versed in the dynamics of the slum. He is also known to and respected by the locals. Suraj took myself and my cousin all over and shared his vast knowledge on the history of the slum and how it functions in it's present state.
On the Long tour we also got to take in Dhobi Ghat and the red light district. All in all, this was a fascinating insight to an amazing piece of Mumbai. A side to Mumbai that not everybody get's to see or experience.
Take the tour, you won't regret, plus you'll be helping Reality Tours help people who live there, especially with regards to education.
Oh and ask for Suraj, he was excellent!

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 5 June 2013

A tour to suit everyone. An eye opening tour with detailed information from a local knowledgable guide. Either choose your own itinerary or your tour guide can suggest some options. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We did the Dharavi and sightseeing day tour and we had a very educational experience with Reality Tours and Travel. In my opinion, the Dharavi tour isn't for the faint-hearted and can be a good culture shock for some people. We didn't feel any pretentiousness with where the tour takes you and you witness what life is like in the slums and how people live. The slum seemed very functional at times and felt more community driven, but the living and working conditions are poor and very raw (to our standards). Our tour guide, Cham, actually lived in the slums when he was younger and he was very knowledgeable and thorough with his explanations about life in Dharavi. The sightseeing tour took us to places we wouldn't have been able to find on our own and we learned about religions we have never even heard of before. I highly encourage signing up for either of these tours if you're visiting Mumbai on a short trip and want to learn or try something different.

1  Thank mlchestney9
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We were really glad we took time to go on a tour of the Dharavi slum with Reality tours. It was a fascinating experience and really opened our eyes to the inner workings of the slums. Yes, parts of the slums were how we imagined it to be – a maze of dark, dingy alleyways, children playing on mounds of trash blissfully ignorant of their surroundings – but we were pleasantly surprised by how well-organised and safe the slum is, and how there are also ‘posh’ areas of the slums where we saw new shiny vehicles parked outside dwellings with air-condition units! It is also a very sustainable community as almost everything is recycled – more out of necessity then caring for the environment, but achieving the same results nonetheless.

It is heartening to see organizations like Reality Tours committed to the development of the community in Dharavi – something like 80% of the profits go back into the community, in the form of both curricular and extracurricular education for the residents.

Our guide Nilesh was amazing. He was passionate about the community, and his commentary provided insight that can only be gleaned from an insider. His knowledge of the slums is astounding – he could rattle off figures and answer all the questions we asked (and we did asked many!). Nilesh was instrumental in making the tour such a positive experience.

1  Thank Dashador
Stephanie H, CEO at Reality Tours and Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Thanks for the kind words! We just yesterday featured Nilesh as the guide of the week on our Facebook page and I was excited to hear your positive feedback. I can't wait to pass it along to him! All the best!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Frankly, I made a mistake. I took he 2.5 hour tour of Dharavi; it was too short. If you want to understand the people, their way of life, while taking a look at something incredibly foreign, by Western standards, see how real people live, work, and play, do so with a Reality Tour thru the slums. Our guide Was only 21 years old and spent part of his life living in the slums. I questioned a number of his "facts" looking them up on-line, and was happy to say he gave us true and honest anwers about the slums. I went with Indian business partners and they both were as stunned as I was about the tour. The tour both confirmed some of my preconceived notions about the slums, while opening my eyes and helping me understand the why and how of Mumbai slums. I highly recommend this company that gives a large portion of their profits to an NGO to help the slum inhabitants.
Recommendations: not for the faint of heart, wear close toed shoes, use the bathroom before you start the tour, watch your step, plan on showering and changing your clothes as soon as you get home (or to your hotel)

1  Thank tkeucla

It was a pleasure meeting you in our Reception Centre at the end of your tour. I'm glad you enjoyed it and really appreciate the thoughtful, helpful feedback! Hope the rest of your travels went well!