“Clean Compact Comfortable”
Review of Ginger Mysore

Ginger Mysore
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Mysuru (Mysore)
Reviewed 22 April 2012

It is located centrally enough for all the major tourist attractions around. Frill free, very basic and compact. What we get though is a confortable bed, clean room and a good view from rooms. Didn’t expect much from F&B but the room service dinner was fab! They have a CCD in their lobby and looks much better than the usual Gingers! I was told that they are not very accommodating with early check-ins, wasn’t a trouble though (Wasn’t much early …around 10)! Stayed here only for a night as we out sightseeing for most of the day! If you are wanting to spend some time in the hotel, this def aint the place! Perfect for touring all day to return for a comfortable sleep!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Main con- the wifi sucks in this hotel. First, you get only one wifi code per room which can only be used with one device. That's pretty stupid for a "business" hotel where there's bound to be more than one person/device in a room at one time. Second, the wifi kicks you off every 15 minutes or so and requires you to log back in. So irritating. Third, the wifi is spotty and slow.

Other cons- everyone in the lobby is useless. The check in process comprised of us standing there for 20 minutes while no one acknowledged us. The two guys behind the messy counter looked overwhelmed or just incompetent. The guy at the "travel" desk has no interest supplying you with info unless you're booking with him.

Pros - neat, clean, modern room. Clean decent sized bathroom. Good tv with some good channels. Contrary to other reviews I thought the breakfast buffet was pretty darn tasty. Room service was quick. Coffe shop downstairs was convenient. Cool art around the hotel.

If you don't need a lot of servicing or decent wifi, this is a pretty good hotel. If you need to do any real work that requires wifi, this is not the place to stay. If you're a tourist hoping to get info like maps, info on transport, etc - look elsewhere. No one will help you here. I think their motto here is "help yourself".

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vancity8
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I don't know where to start this review!! Things are afresh as I just checked out of this hotel this morning.

I booked this hotel based on the TATA brand and TripAdvisor ratings. The hotel looks good. I booked this hotel through Ginger website a month ago. My credit card was debited with Rs 3000+ immediately. This is new to me as hotels will charge the card only on checking in.

Considering that the cost of the room (Smart room according to their description!!) per night is INR 3000+ in "Mysore" - which is not a Metro - I expected them to provide us with complementary breakfast. But I was asked to pay Rs 180 for a breakfast buffet - needless to mention that the breakfast was horrible. The nearest restaurant is about a mile from this hotel.

For lunch/dinner, room service has only limited options (2 or 3). We are forced to take their buffet for Rs 275 - please consider that money too flushed down the drain.

As soon as checked in, I realized that their smart room concept is nothing but trying to get everything in a smaller room. Switches and telephone are almost hidden and it is more like a treasure hunt for guests.

We asked the room service for a normal drinking water. I was asked to go fetch myself from pantry if I have an empty water bottle with me.

The worst thing was yet to come then.

In the morning, my wife and I were about to visit an attraction nearby and requested the reception executive if we could checkout at 12:30 PM (actual checkout time is 12 Noon) as our train was only at 2:15 PM. Although he was positive, he insisted that we settle our bills immediately. But the room will be left for us until we checkout. We returned from sightseeing at 11:30 AM itself and wanted to use our room. I was given a key that was not meant to be for my room. When I realized that the card didn't work, I was asked to wait near the room for the supervisor to come and open. I couldn't understand this concept. I booked the room for a day until 12 Noon and I was unable to get in to the room at 11:30 AM. On confronting the reception, I was told that they had already checked me out in the morning and that they are providing me - purely out of their generosity - with a free service to use the room after checking out.

The manager wasn't around to seek an explanation as he was traveling. I did call him on his mobile. He apologized and promised me that he would call me in couple of minutes after speaking to the reception guys over phone. I waited for the call but the manager never called me back. I left for railway station and am still awaiting his call.

Room Tip: Better avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank ARNKMR
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I visited Mysore for 2.5 days and stayed in Ginger. I had booked for the stay almost a month ahead ! I paid for 2 days and did a early check-in around 8 AM. I paid 50% for the early check-in. The rooms are very clean and neat. I traveled with family - wife, small daughter and elder parents. We felt very comfortable with the stay all through the 3 days. Also, the breakfast spread with buffet was pretty good with bread, omlette, porridge and typical south dishes - idli/dosas/upma/tomato rice with Sambhar/chutney accompanied with fruit juices/coffee/tea. The coffee cafe inside the Ginger premises is a welcome to have hot/cold beverages around the clock after a tiresome trip around the city ! Anyday, Ginger shall be my preference for any city !

We also booked the cab from the travel desk at Ginger - JMJ (if I remember correctly). The cab was a Indica AC cab booked for 3 days right from Railway station pick-up to drop. We had nominal charges - Rs.1650 for each day - 3 days of sight seeing.

Day -1 - Chamundi Hill, Lalithamahal Palace, Wax Muesm, Zoo,St.Philomenas Church, Shopping, & Brindavan Garden
Day -2 - Mysore Palace, Jaganmohan Art Gallery, Srirangapatna, Fort, Ranganathaswamy temple, Gumbaz, Dariya Daulath,Birdsantury, & Palace lighting
Day 3 - Somnathpur.

We returned back to Chennai by Shatabdi around 2 PM on 3rd day. Other suggestions are to visit Sivanasamudram and Bandipur wildlife !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Karthik R
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Situated in heart of city. Good for a stopover. CCD inside. Rooms are very neat and well maintained. This was 3rd visit for past 3 years and no dip in standards at all. Strongly recommend this for a short stay. Food though is a touch expensive for the variety they provide.

vc31