1,921 results
All reviews indoor pool great rail journeys central atrium chef raj golden triangle wildflower hall steam room toy train fabulous hotel northern india dressing room viceregal lodge old world charm restaurant staff the general manager three nights valley view room
Reviewed 6 April 2018

It was a business trip for me and as a surprise my wife joined in. Little did I know that life could be so perfectly beautiful and romantic. Well, we were in The Cecil in Shimla. Loads of childhood memories bundled with fun & joy overwhelmed us when we checked it. From the word go, it felt more like a paid vacation. The colonial setting takes you back to early 1900s. The teak wood, green leather couches, the proverbial bar and the leisurely check in filled our heart with warmth and kind welcome.
Once in the room, it was like those days of mystic and charm. Beautifully laid out bed, well atoned sit in and it felt like the good old days of seventies regalia.
Post my work, when entailed conducting live audience based show and a show detailing the charm of Shimla nightlife, we were treated like Royality by Sous Chef, Rajkumar Bhatia. Rajkumarji, had seen me on television during my shows and the gastronomical ride that he took on was simply overwhelming. The dinner was a 3 course meal, left on Rajkumarji to select and present. The soup was lip-smacking. I had lintel soup and I am yet to taste something even close to this. Main course was a mix of Indian veg and non-veg. Along with garlic bread and other stuffed parathas that Rajkumarji had prepared, we couldn't help but eat to the hilt. The spread of sweet dish was unending. Its tough to point out one among the many that we were served with, but it was so mouth watering that we polished off the whole lot. Needless to say, a walk upto the ridge was mandatory given the fact that we had hogged like impoverished souls.
Day 2 breakfast and dinner was again made super super special by RajKumarji. At the onset itself, he warned us, i will feed you as never before. And that what he did. I took 45 minutes to walk upto the ridge due to my over stuffed tummy post breakfast and had to wait for some 20 minutes before i could start recording my shows.
Dinner was one of the most romantic evenings that one could imagine at The Cecil. With a clear view of the valley below, we were treated to the best of continental dished tasted ever. The Red wine served added to the flavour and here I must mention, Mr. Prateek Gulati, Assistant Manager - Food & Beverages. Prateek is one hell of a Delhi born Punjabi full of life and one liners. While Raj Kumarji's gastronomical crusade was running riot with our senses, Prateek's one liners glittered with unstoppable laughter riot. What an evening to remember.
Well, all good times have to ebb out to make way for our mundane work and so did the 2 night at Cecil. Before we left, Chef Raj Kumar packed for us one of the best breakfasts one can have while driving.
In all it has been one of our most memorable stays at any place in India. The entire staff at The Cecil deserves my heartiest warmest thanks, as I haven't seen my wife remembering the The Cecil experience with so much of fondness.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nadajaykumar
GeneralManager_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spared time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It was a delight to have been able to look after you.

We are delighted to know that you found our Grand Heritage hotel to be beautiful and luxurious. It is indeed reminiscent of the rich colonial era.

We are truly delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience of the hotel and its facilities. Thank you for your kind appreciation, specifically for the team and the service experience of the hotel. We are all very happy to have been able to make this short visit a memorable one for you.

Your generous comments regarding the food and team are much appreciated. We are all very glad that you felt really loved at The Oberoi Cecil. Thank you for your compliments for Chef Rajkumar and Prateek. I'm certain it will only inspire them to go the extra mile each time for our guests.

I do hope that we will get another opportunity to welcome you back to The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla in the near future. Please do let me know whenever you plan to visit Shimla next and I would be glad to assist you personally.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

After arriving after a five hour journey on the amazing Toy Train from Kalka we were welcomed into this oasis of luxury. Everything about the hotel is outstanding, the public rooms, the bedrooms and the superb restaurant, where we were personally made welcome by Manager Mark Manuel, and Rajkumar Bhatia the Sous Chef who even invited us into his kitchen to give us a flavour - literally - of his superb cooking ! Vineet our waiter, looked after us superbly - he really could not have done more to make our stay absolutely perfect !
Shimla is a fascinating historic city, and a wonderful place to visit, to learn more of India's and Britain's combined history. If you do go, travel on the Toy Railway and definitely stay at the Oberoi Cecil !

Room Tip: The valley view suites are breathtaking.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this forum. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed you stay with us and that our services and facilities were to your satisfaction.

Your kind words of appreciation for our team especially Chef Rajkumar, Mark and Vineet are really appreciated. It’s heartening to read that we could make your trip so very special.
Thank you for your high recommendation.

The team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back when ever your travels bring you to Shimla, the 'Queen of the hills'.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The service at the Oberoi Cecil is exceptional, the staff literally couldn't do enough for us. Our room was beautiful, very clean and with fabulous views from the balcony. The breakfasts were superb and again with excellent service. We used the laundry service which was also excellent. A very enjoyable stay in Shimla and if we return we'll definitely return to the Oberoi.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your Oberoi Cecil experience on this forum. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

I am delighted to know that you liked the views from your room of the cedar clad valley and the friendliness of the team. Your compliments for the quality of food are really appreciated.

We would love to have you and your friends visit us in the future. Please do let me know whenever you plan to head up to the "Queen of the hills" and I would be delighted to offer my personal assistance.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The most exclusive of hotel in Shimla, known for its original restored, heritage,colonial charm and luxury.
Right from the warm welcome to the big surprise that we got was a free UPGRADE TO THE TOP END LUXURY SUITE. We felt like we were in the clouds.
Its prime location is just the wow factor. Right at the end of bustling Mall Road.
Shimla's only heated swimming pool.The water was just perfect.
To start with our suite was spotless with a host of amenities. Two LCD televisions one for the living room and other in the bedroom. Same with the mini bar fridge.
The bathroom was laid out with an ornate bath tub, separate shower cubical, dressing area, and his & her wash basin.
Superb quality bath amenities, towels, and bath robes.

Now coming to the main stream and pillar of this ultra luxurious grand colonial hotel.
" The Food & Beverages ":

A culinary experience at its epitome.

We had special dietary requirements like vegetarian food without onion and garlic. The staff at the restaurant saw to it that every small detail was looked into, everyday new dishes were suggested and offered for breakfast, lunch, and dinner during our three night stay.

The ultimate reward for this goes to the master mind & EXCEPTIONAL Sous Chef Mr RAJKUMAR BHATIA. This chef definitely knows that "the way to a persons heart is through the stomach " We really experienced not only service and quality in the food prepared by him,but also love for his guests and work. It was great to hear from others that Chef Raj Kumar has been now three decades with the Oberoi Group of hotels.
What more can I say about this super chef. One must experience his exquisite culinary skills in person. He has been the shining star during my stay.
When I talked to him about the " Himachali Dham Food Festival " , he not only explained its importance to us, but to our surprise he organized a special cooking class and workshop for my wife and made four authentic dishes which tasted out of this world.

I really wish that the Oberoi Group recognizes him and his services to the hotel and its guests, in a very special way.

A big thank you Mr Raj Kumar. God Bless you. All the best !

Also the in-room dining experience was nothing short of spectacular food being served in a dining table trolley with a heated oven to its boot.

Just to summarize " A Royal vacation " indeed. Dreaming of going back again and again.

Room Tip: Take the Premier Valley View Rooms

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spared time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It was wonderful to have been able to look after you.

We are truly delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience of the hotel and its facilities. Thank you for your kind appreciation, specifically for the team and the service experience of the hotel. We are all very happy to have been able to make this visit a memorable one for you.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the location of the hotel which is within the heritage zone of Shimla.Your generous comments regarding the food and team are much appreciated. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our indoor heated swimming pool.

We are all very glad that you felt really loved at The Oberoi Cecil. Thank you for your compliments for Chef Rajkumar. I'm certain it will only inspire him to go the extra mile each time for our guests.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Superb hotel. Staff are exceptionally friendly, helpful and thoughtful but in an unobtrusive way, and were very confident and at ease - they clearly love working here and are rightfully proud of this hotel. Food is simply brilliant, best we had in any hotel in India- the chef deserves a special mention. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will be encouraging friends in the UK to stay here.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your Oberoi Cecil experience on this forum. It was a pleasure to have been able to look after you.

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, food, team and services At The Oberoi, Cecil, we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

Thank you for your high recommendation.

It was wonderful to have you with us as guests. Your generous words are a huge source of motivation and we look forward to have you stay with us.