My family and I stayed at this property for 2 nights after 5 nights at the Wildflower Halland that makes this review unfair since Wildflower (an Oberoi property too) is in a different league.
The Cecil Shimla is located at one end of Shimla and is a good 20 minute walk to the Mall. This walk is mostly uphill. This is good and bad depending on your reason for visiting Shimla. There is no doubt that this would be the finest Hotel in Shimla with all the warmth and friendliness that you would expect from the Oberoi group.
You step into the Hotel through a not very impressive entrance and lobby but as you pass this, the is Avery large seating area to which a lot of rooms open up. I personally don't think much of this.
The rooms itself are very comfortable and adequately sized with all trappings you expect in modern hotels. We had 2 attached rooms on the 4th floor with good views of the hills and Shimla. There was also a nice balcony outside one of our rooms (415), which was great for an early morning tea or a late afternoon coffee.
Ther are a lot of activities for children with pool, snooker, tables, a Wii console, a great heated indoor pool and a jacuzzi. There is a small gym too.
Where this hotel stands out is in the service. I must specially mention Chef Royston, who would check with us during meals, who conjured up some dishes which were on the menu and were fab. The rest of the staff were super too - always helpful. I must also thank the Housekeeping staff, quick to come back with every request.
This is a great hotel with great staff. What i miss in a hill property is some open area to sit out and savor the views, which this property unfortunately does not have. The service, however, makes up for it to a large extent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is located in Shimla, the gateway to the majestic Himalayas. Downtown Hotel with Colonial styling, 1 km from Shimla Station & 22 km from Jubalhatti-Shimla Airport. The Hotel is situated at the quite end of the famous Mall and is an ideal base from which to discover the unique beauty of the spectacular Himalayan ranges, Cedar forests and ancient monasteries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, TravelGuru, Yatra, Expedia, ClearTrip, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Hotels.com so you can book your The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oberoi Cecil - Shimla Hotel Shimla
- Oberoi Shimla
- Shimla Oberoi
- The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla Himachal Pradesh