New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Dreamland

Hotel Dreamland
Ranked #77 of 112 Hotels in Shimla
New Delhi, India
“Location makes you forget the hardship”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed with family for four nights during August.Location just above Church is ideal though little tough as climb to hotel is quite steep. View from 2nd floor balcony is breathtaking especially during monsoon when sky shows innumerable hues and colors. Absence of good restaurant/food is greatly felt . Staff is generally friendly especially Mr Dogra who seems to have landed from Bollywood. I got our booking through one of the best known Travel Sites which was inclusive of Breakfast but the hotel never offered us any. The Manager of Hotel Dreamland in fact quoted higher rates when I wanted to book directly on their website as compared to what was offered by travel sites which is quite strange. Ideal for young people who can ignore small comforts.

Room Tip: Buy some ear plugs if you are staying at 2nd floor as their kitchen there is meetion place of staff...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GUN9
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

In the course of my two days here, my opinion of this pace dropped from positive, to neutral, to very negative.

The place is scruffy and, at 900 R, overpriced. But the view is spectacular, and the bed, unlike every other in India is actually soft¸ so I took it.

But then the problems came up:

- Found out on the bus leaving here that I’d paid 50% more than another couple that was staying there at the same time, AND hotel management lied to me about the distance (and cost) to the bus station--and yes, I asked repeatedly, because it did seem high. Seems they were preying on me because I was female, alone and feeling too ill to shop around.

- Floor is dirty. Seems like it hasn’t been mopped in ages.

- No top sheet (as it typical in India), but there’s a very musty-smelling quilt, and the bottom sheet was stained. Thank god I brought my backpacker sheet.

- Outside is filthy. I’m shocked nobody noticed the streaks of…something…on the white paint on the door jam.

- The bathroom (in room 19) backs onto the hotel’s kitchen, and they directly vent into one another. This means when I take a crap, it wafts into the kitchen, and I can hear every. Word. They. Say. Very clearly. I nearly screamed when I heard a male voice in the room with me when I was showering.

- I later moved to room 29, whose bathroom vents into another room, and vise versa. Again, it sounds like the people from the next hotel room are there in the bathroom with you.

- Though the view is great when it’s clear, there’s a regular stream of pedestrians who take the short cut across the long shared balcony along the front of the rooms to cut down the two flights of stairs (instead of shuffling down the steep road). Many of them look into the room as they do so, an annoying invasion of privacy. I could close the curtains, but this would mean no daylight and no view.

- The mouse on the computer they gave me to access the internet didn’t work (they swapped it out) and the 8, 9, and 0 keys on the keyboard didn’t work (they didn’t swap it out - no parenthesis for me!). Meanwhile, because of the position of the computer screen, the 6 men hanging out in the room watching cricket, could follow everything I did online.

- I also have a problem with the locks they use: the outer locks are deadbolts, meaning you can be locked inside with no way out (there are bars on the windows of some rooms). Creepy!

- It’s the off season, and there are way more “workers” here than people who are paying to stay here. They spend a lot of time hanging out watching the television or reading the paper or smoking on the balcony instead of, say, washing the mildew off the walls (I saw about eight rooms, most had mildew), or repairing things like locks and doors that were broken.

- One guy, the cleaner/porter, kind of gave me the creeps, I didn’t trust him from the start, but I figured maybe it was his steely blue eyes, and gave him the benefit of the doubt. One of the many front desk guys gave him my laundry (I’d asked if they had laundry service and they said yes). When he brought it back and gave me the price: 360 rupees. NO WAY. The most I’ve ever paid, even in touristy or resort areas, for the same amount of that same laundry, was 180 rupees. He started to challenge me, and even tried to grab my clean clothes, but backed off after I offered to talk to his boss about it. I gave him 200.

- And yeah, the two guys who help put tours together (and push Kasmir in the process) are nice, but the rest of them seem to not really care much for customer service, even to the point of being annoyed when you ask for something. Icing on the cake? I asked them to show me something on the map, and boy does that one guy have some have really nasty breath.

Room Tip: Find another hote.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Violet222

Travellers are raving about these Shimla hotels

Pune
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Worst Stay.we were two couple with an infant booked 1 nights and 2 days in this hotel. but by chance we reached early we telephoned to the manager and asked him to book us for one more day; he was smart enough and told us almost double charge. We previously booked it from yatra so we contacted yatra again and they arranged it in very short time.
Now coming to the hotel location it has a 60 digree slope kind of road to reach there for which you need to think twice before going out to the market area. Room quality is very bad. not at all 3 star property. Manager and staff behavior was rude; no way to stay there again.
Total Wastet of money.
we booked it from Yatra must say never go to yatra for hotel booking they are ready to cheat you by showing pictures of hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

I recently booked into this 'hotel' and only stayed one night before refusing to pay the rest of my room bill and leaving. This is not a Hotel, the shower, toilet and sink did not work and there is no hot water. The room was dirty and the windows did ot shut properly so there was a draft throughout the night making it an unpleasant nights sleep. The staff at the hotel are not interested in any problems you report and take ages to address the problems but are happy to take a large deposit off you when your arrive. If you want a cheap nice place to stay I would recommend the YMCA behind the ritz movie theatre. The rooms are nice, everything works and there are alot of other travellers there too. They can also organise tours for you through a guide called Anil- I went on one of these and it was totally worth it!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank katieb023
Udaipur, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

On arriving here we got a room, the first room the tv didnt work so they swapped it to find there was a problem with the room, so we accepted a different room.after sorting our back packs and coming back from a meal we climbed in bed to find the entire bedding dirty and very damp aswell as bugs flying all over and the biggest spiders weve seen in india so far. we advised of this and found some friends who were staying in the room also had damp bedding and poor room, we immediatley moved to a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple