“An experience of a lifetime”
Review of The Spice Route

The Spice Route
Ranked #45 of 12,655 Restaurants in New Delhi
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 100
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
New South Wales, Australia
“An experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I do not consider myself to be a foodie, but I honestly believe that this restaurant is a culinary experience that should not be missed.

The food was reasonably priced, and absolutely delicious. We ordered a decent amount, so our group of 6 struggled to finish all the food. A wonderful thing to know - something I wish we knew beforehand - is that all the food that is not eaten does not go to waste; it is packaged and given to the people on the streets! If only all restaurants did this!

This restaurant is so much more than excellent food. I must admit that a member of my family's first impression of the interior design was that it was somewhat haphazard, ultimately explained by a tour of the restaurant to conclude our visit. A tour! As it turns out, each section of the restaurant signifies a particular milestone in the journey of life. This concept may at first sound strange, but one's appreciation of it grows with the explanations provided on the tour. The waiter that served us - Rakesh - was beaming with pride in taking us on the tour. I really think that really says something about the history, design and integrity of the restaurant.

If you're in the area, definitely try this restaurant out!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Nikki201392
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Nairobi
“Tasty, good service, and nice surroundings”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Loved the Keralan theme - he liked the south east asian food - great service, excellent wine (the Indian Sula Sauvignon Blanc, very good we thought), and a nice dark setting made you feel as though you were sitting in a temple.

Visited July 2012
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Disappointed after reading rave reviews.”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

After 9 days of rich Indian curries, my friend and I decided that we needed some familiar south-east Asian fare. I was having the runs and was very much looking forward to having a bowl of Pho or some soup noodles, but to my disappointment, these were missing from the menu.

Ordered a clear spicy fish soup, Vietnamese pohpiah and a phad Shanghai for myself and my friend got the Chemeen Thoren (Kerala style prawns), a mutton curry and a fresh mango appam. The only dish that is good for me is the fish soup. It was clear, spicy and you can taste the sweetness and freshness of the fish slices. As for the pohpiah, it was an utter disappointment. A good deep-fried pohpiah should be have a crispy skin and not glistening with oil. What was served looked like it was fried over lukewarm oil, the skin was oily and not crispy. The phad Shanghai was the worst. It lacks, what we Asians call "wok-hei". The sauces did not combine well with the noodles and I can't taste the caramalisation or the slight burnt crispiness one would expect from a quick wok-tossed noodles. My friend could not taste the mango in his appam and the mutton curry was mediocre. We've had better in Mumbai.

For those who had tasted authentic SE-Asian cuisines, give this place a miss.

• Visited June 2012
“Best restaurant in Delhi. Yes Please”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Great food, great service. Not over expensive.... Charming colonial atmosphere.
Very nice!!

1 Thank BigDarren1
Silicon Valley, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh my, So Beautiful!”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is a "Wow!" restaurant. The decor will take you back in time with the feel of elegant traditional India. The food and service was outstanding.

Visited June 2012