“Delicious Foodie Walk”

Pete For India Travel
Ranked #16 of 71 Food & Drink in New Delhi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Pete For India is a non-profit initiative, based in New Delhi, India and operating across the North of India.80 Percent of Profits from all of our ventures go directly towards our Non-governmental organisation (NGO) Pete(Providing Education To Everyone) to benefit the local communities and people. Our Charitable tours incorporate exploration of exciting locations while supporting local, grassroots education projects and women's empowerment programs in New Delhi, Uttrakhand.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 19 December 2014

The other day a friend and I took part in the Foodie Walk from PETE for India Travel and it was GREAT! We strolled around Old Delhi and had bits and pieces of amazing food on the way! Also our guide proved to be very well educated about the area and the restaurants and we had loads of fun! All in all I can say I was SO full and satisfied.
A plus is of course that the money we paid went directly to a charitable cause. Totally worth!

Date of experience: December 2014
in 38 reviews
"heartbreaking"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 17 December 2014 via mobile

I personally have the oppurtunity to meet yogi Shiva and chat abt role of sprituality at his office before going to one of his co tour (slum walk) money generated from the walks goes back to the community.it great to meet a person like him who lives his life in yogic way in this social world by doing karma yoga.my interest is always towards sprituality and many of my unanswered questions been answered by meeting him.More than my tour I enjoyed meeting him I hope people like you will not be erased from this society as history indicates that this kind of people is either found in caves away from society and if they live among society they have to face many problems.Thanks for giving me a chance to meet you ,hospitality and giving me a great tour.

1  Thank punk1187
Reviewed 11 December 2014 via mobile

Foodies walk I took with my friends from germany was perfect food was amazing and guide was very accomdating with showing us some sights in delhi during the walk.

3  Thank akshit r
Reviewed 4 December 2014

This was a different type of tour. So for the slum walks we went into the slum area and walked into the residential area. People were definitely living in poverty and we were able to see their homes, see them make bread, and how they lived. We saw that they did have water and that the community in the slum is tight even though it was very poor and food and clothing seem difficult to come by. Most kids had some clothing but occasionally no shoes. We were able to talk to the kids and hear about their experiences living there and ask them questions about school and their families. Most kids were betrothed at 8-13 years old. We also saw the NGO that pete's has set up there which taught the kids manners. It was nice they also showed us a vocational school were people learned how to make henna and give massages for practical training and talk about what the challenges were in the slums. We saw a puppet show as well as go into people's homes. Many of the people in the slum were artists and drummers. The tour felt safe as they are some what use to tourists at this point.

The food tour was fun and in a different part of town where they took you to famous food places that were open since 1875. We actually took a detour and bought some saris as well. The tour guides (3 of them) were very nice and helpful. 2 of them were college students and know a lot and were very attentive. They made sure everything was safe and were very concerned about our experience. They even delivered the sari blouse i was getting made to my hotel 2 days later (we asked to get saris). They invited us later for coffee and dinner at their houses but i was unable to make that. I would say this tour had a different angle and gave a much deeper integration with indian culture today that you may not otherwise get in generic tours. These guys were very laid back and were ok with taking detours and going where you want. They wanted to show you as much as you wanted to see. Also, the tour funds their ngo for children's education which was nice. They never pushed us into shopping, or tried to upsell us. In fact we originally booked only a food tour but wanted to get a sari so they helped us negotiate down the sari price and go to different vendors to compare prices and one of the tour guides even called his mom to figure out what the price was. We actually only booked a tour for 2 people to start and when we added a 3rd person they actually didn't charge us for the additional person. They paid for all the food on the food tour as well and let you order and eat whatever you wanted. The tour was not expensive and a pretty good deal considering they paid for so much food as well.

Date of experience: December 2014
2  Thank gr4555
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 November 2014

The service offered by PETE is less related to the informative nature of the slum itself but to providing a very intimate experience. If your motivation is to get a guide that tells you personal stories of the slum poeple or historic facts about the slum, then PETE might not be the right choice.

FIrst, I have been to other slums in Africa before but India and PETE is different.

PETE provides a very emotional experience that will works inside of you if you allow it. During the 2h walk, I was the only visitor and not distracted by other "tourists". I followed Lakshmi and John, observed the people and was able to feel how much they both care and how close they are to the lsum people. Honestly, their level of involvement surpassed my intial expectations and I do thank them both for letting me in this world for 2h.

I personally think that I was very lucky to be alone with John and Lakshmi. I can only imagine that this is a very different experience with a group.

At the end, it really depends on you but I feel that such a slum walk is not just an item on your sight seeing menu. I decided before going that I do not want to take picutres as this is a very initimate and personal experience.

Date of experience: November 2014