“Sanjay Colony Slum Tour”

Reality Tours & Travel
More attraction details
Owner description: Reality Tours and Travel is a responsible tour operator providing fun and authentic experiences around India. We invest 80% of our profits back into the communities we visit through our NGO Reality Gives. We are especially well known for our educational Dharavi and Sanjay Colony Slum Tours that show visitors the industrial and residential areas of Indian slums. We also offer city, village, multi-day and customized tours. Our tours educate visitors about the issues as well as opportunities in slums and hopes to encourage them to understand underprivileged communities better. We use 80% of the tour profits and 100% of merchandise profits to fund our sister-NGO Reality Gives that runs and supports a variety of programs in Dharavi and Sanjay Colony. Our goal is to provide authentic and though-provoking local experiences through our tours and to use the profits to create change in our communities. Our vision is a world where all tourism promotes cross-cultural understanding and local development. Our NGO, Reality Gives, provides young people in the local community with high quality education and experiences to help them maximize their potential. We do this by focusing on English, Computer and Life Skills classes as well as a series of activities and workshop in expressive art and sport. We run these program out of three community centres around Dharavi and are currently setting up similar projects in Sanjay Colony.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 6 August 2015

I went on the Sanjay Colony Tour in June 2015. It was an eye opening experience that I would have never had the opportunity to experience if it wasn’t for Reality Tours. It was informative and interesting; a real insight in to how thousands of people live and work in this community under such challenging circumstances. My guide, Ravi, was excellent. He explained every detail about the day to day lives of the people in Sanjay Colony. He was well informed and courteous. It was a real pleasure for me to spend time with him. A wonderful young man and credit to Reality Tours. I highly recommend this tour. It is a real education in life and the extreme conditions that some have to endure.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank lisabull
Paul W, CEO at Reality Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2015

Brilliant to hear you enjoyed your time with our local Sanjay resident Ravi. Our aim is to offer a balanced and informative view of life inside the communities here so it's always pleasing to hear such positive comments.

All reviews
"eye opening"
in 11 reviews
"a real eye opener"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend the tour"
"an excellent guide"
in 13 reviews
"meeting point"
in 9 reviews
"visiting places"
"cycle tour"

Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

The amount of places we were brought by our tour guide Jiru that were off the beaten track was amazing. We felt that we actually got to see what the city is really like.

Our first stop after a metro ride was the Sikh Temple which was a humbling experience. My girlfriend, who is a foodie even helped out in the kitchen as we were both given the opportunity.

Walking through the markets we got to see the proper Old City as the tight streets and alley ways were an amazing contrast to what lay outside the streets. We even had the opportunity to buy some spices to bring home with us.

Finally, I cannot commend our tour guide Jiru enough. My girlfriend and I were the only people on the tour and he went out of his way to may sure we had an excellent time. He even brought us to our hotel after the tour to make sure we got back safely. He was by far one of the best guides we have ever had all over the world.

Finally we would recommend doing the tour in the evening just for the rooftop views of Old Delhi. It was worth the wait.

1  Thank Daniel K

The Old Delhi tour is one of my personal favourites to get a real flavour for the city, in every sense! Great to hear you got a chance to help out in the volunteer kitchens. I always find it an enriching and humbling experience to see this offer of support within the community regardless of particular faiths. Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed.

Reviewed 24 July 2015

I had a personal tour through the Sanjay Colony. The guide was fantastic. He talked about different topics such as religion, politics, history and the role of women in India. He had a lot of knowledge and could answer any question.

Walking through the colony, learning about the inhabitant's every day life and listening to the stories of the guide made the experience perfect!

Date of experience: July 2015
Paul W, CEO at Reality Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2015

Great to hear you enjoyed your tour and thank you for your comments

Reviewed 22 July 2015

New Delhi can be a lot of hassle for a female traveller, especially when walking on the streets alone. I had to spend one day of transit in the city, and instead of staying the whole time in a hotel, I opted for an evening walking tour in Old Delhi focusing on street food. It turned out to be a great choice to go with the Reality Tours and visit places I would have never ventured out myself!

Everything from e-mail correspondence to the actual walking tour itself was impeccable. Although the organization has been recently established in New Delhi, they have a great track record from running tours in Mumbai for several years (where I also used their services last year).

Thank you guys, you made my time in New Delhi worthwhile (and tasty)!

Date of experience: July 2015

What a brilliant way to use your transit stopover trying all the delicious food! Thanks for your feedback and support in both Delhi and Mumbai. We love it when people come back to us having enjoyed a previous tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

I am really pleased to have done this walking tour. There is no way possible you could find the places I was taken to by Jireet (sorry on the spelling!). Its confronting, exciting and informative - I would recommend for the more adventurous 'Ill give this a go' sort of traveller. Would not recommend if you have children under 15 possibly due to crowds (Dehli Underground Metro makes any other subway look under used) and some of the confronting things they may see (extreme poverty and begging in some parts).

Overall I highly recommend this walking tour - wear closed shoes and bring your sense of adventure! Thank you guys.

1  Thank Clint78

Thank you so much. Happy to hear you learnt a lot and found it interesting and fun.